Knocking engine

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok....back to the question about 'interference...

What an interference engine does is...when you are not lucky...it toss a timing belt or allow a timing chain to go slack at the worst possible moment...after you have paid at the Wendys drive though but before you can get to the pick-up window...and you have a long line of other hungry people behind you...and Triple-A is not being too reponsive at the moment...

I hope I don't jinx myself for bringing up that one...now, THAT would be a nightmare...

Interference engines have been a mixed blessing...a lot of them have given the rest of us a chance to nod or grimace sympathetically when a story about a lunched engine gets related to you...

I imagine that interference engines have provided all of us with spare parts cars and trucks in the wrecking yards...

This is why I have never bought anything sporting a timing belt.

Last edited:

94f350

Reaction score
I haven't heard the noise, but after reading both of these posts, I'm still leaning toward Black dawg's diagnosis and thinking that it's a bad lifter. That would also describe the temporary sounding like a loss of compression.
94f350, how long have you let the engine run when it sounds like it's knocking and did it change the way it runs any?
I let it run for a minute and when I tried to give it throttle it knocked harder, didn't change after it idled down.

94f350

Reaction score
Did you actually check for low compression? I think you're getting hooked on the idea that it might have had low compression, which isn't a fact yet.
I didn't check for low compression but when the starter is cranking all cylinders are an even crank except for one which goes really fast. Sounds kinda like it's firing but it's not.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be completely random though? I don't see any way it would stop bouncing around on the piston after being shut off and restarted.

Feel free to shoot holes in my train of thought, most of you guys know way more about these engines than I do.

James
Piece of glow plug tip can either make it out the exhaust valve, or smashed flat/embedded in piston. Pretty surprising how much noise even a small piece of glow plug tip can make being hammered between the head and piston.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I didn't check for low compression but when the starter is cranking all cylinders are an even crank except for one which goes really fast. Sounds kinda like it's firing but it's not.
Check for compression, also good tip to check the glow plugs as well. But if it's now running fine, could have been an injector that got stuck open momentarily.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Black dawg I got that part, I have dealt with several gassers that have had stuff dropped down the intake (accidentally or intentionally I'm not sure about) but definitely not a good sound.

The part I can't wrap my head around, is that the op says it only does it when first started and doesn't stop until shut off and restarted. That seems far too consistent for a random piece bouncing around the cylinder.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have missread it but I took it as it happened the same way twice. I'm gonna have to go back and re read it now.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I don't understand how the engine would run good after it had just knocked like crazy. I don't understand what could've changed. I shut it off again after it was running good and I went to start it like an hour later and knocked, shut it off, turned it back on again and it ran fine. It really confuses me
@Black dawg

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
OK @Rdnck84_03 & you others, thanks guys, that makes sense about the "interference engines." I guess I just never heard an engine that style called an "interference engines."

My wife (Carol) Dodge intrepid did the "timing belt thing" & bit the dust!!!! LOL

Bout 3 yr ago me & 2 of our sons changed timing belt on Carol's '04 Toyota Camery at 198K miles. Turned out couple mechanic friends told me that we were lucky, that usually at bout 150K+ mi get ready for timing belt to let go & lose engine!!! Belt needs changed!

@XOLATEM what does your "armchair tinhorn chinese zodiac wisdom" say bout 1950's Chinese Year of The what? (Probably a monkey or a donkey's as$) LOL LOL

LOL LOL BTW the magic number is 10-10-1950.....every early October every yr EVERYONE, & I mean EVERYONE here in Central Oregon parties & parties & parties for 2 weeks!!! All the stores give 50% off for those same 2 weeks!!! Daily parades, free beer at all the pubs, Government Holiday for those same 2 weeks. etc. etc!!
These Oregonians been like this since we moved to Oregon, & the Texans did me that way too where I was born & raised!!! LOL LOL

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha...ok...so my math was off and my year was wrong...

1950 is the Year of the Tiger...I have known some people born under that sign and they definitely achieve things...

Just look at Dan Short...fairly accomplished...and many others...

That local holiday sounds reminiscent of Oktoberfest...something to experience...

94f350

Reaction score
@Black dawg I got that part, I have dealt with several gassers that have had stuff dropped down the intake (accidentally or intentionally I'm not sure about) but definitely not a good sound.

The part I can't wrap my head around, is that the op says it only does it when first started and doesn't stop until shut off and restarted. That seems far too consistent for a random piece bouncing around the cylinder.

James
It happened twice and I haven't started it since because I'm a little scared of what might happen

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
James
They definitely make a sound that's not good!!!! Guess I been round "interference engines" before & didn't realize they were called that. LOL
Once LONG AGO while I in college I had been thru couple Chev 2brl carbs on my PU, so I was sort'a an expert. haha (yeah right!!)
One afternoon I dropped by friend's house about 4-5 mi out in country & he was working on his Ford car's carburetor kit. Soooo I took over, etc. IIRC Carter carb. Anyway still on engine & taking it apart......soon a little steel ball dropped down thru intake. I looked at him & he looked at me. I shrugged, told him "the engine will spit it out & that you don't need that little bitty ball anyway...."

Next day he nor his wife made it into town nor to classes for couple days. Finally I went out to check on him. Got there & he had engine tore apart, heads off, piston out with ball embedded, & a BAD ATTIUDE!!! Said something bout engine made a really loud bad sound trying to spit ball out!!
BTW, don't remember his name but we all called him "Fish." Really a great guy!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you a great guy afterwords, or still friends.:idiot:
probably needed that Piston replaced anyway....

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online