Leaf spring bushings....

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it’s that time fellas I gotta do leaf spring bushing... what is the consensus on rubber vs polyurethane? I want to do a solid front axle when I can afford to so idk if I want to sink a ton of cash into this set up but it needs to be done to hold me over..

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poly lasts longer but gives a rougher nosier ride. Everything is a compromise isn't it?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put poly in mine and the ride is just as rewarding...

Getting the old bushing out is a PITA but putting poly in is easy peasy. If you are doing rears, I would recommend replacing the whole spring.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The shackles are one step - and you'd re-use those with a D60 unless going RSK. Another thought is if you re-bush the existing springs, you might be able to cut them out of the spring eyes for your D60 springs later.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did the energy suspension poly bushings in mine at the same time as new shocks. Ride is great. Talk about a pain though.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the old bushing is not to bad, just perforate old the bushing so the core can be punched out and then take a saw of some sort to the outer sleeve. The hard part is dealing with a frozzen bolt if is the case that is 9 out of 10 what happens around salt, a big cut off disk works better than saw sawzall blades.

You must be registered for see images attach

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the old bushing is not to bad, just perforate old the bushing so the core can be punched out and then take a saw of some sort to the outer sleeve. The hard part is dealing with a frozzen bolt if is the case that is 9 out of 10 what happens around salt, a big cut off disk works better than saw sawzall blades.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks that’s good to know. I’ll be doing them and the pivot bushings this weekend.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks that’s good to know. I’ll be doing them and the pivot bushings this weekend.

When I went to install the new pivot bushings, I could not get them pounded in there. What I had to do was get some all thread, and some large washers and a metal cup, run the all thread through everything and then squeeze the new bushings in place by tightening the nuts on the all thread.

You can make a "cup" by using pieces from a balljoint press kit if you have one. Or if you happen to have a really large socket. The ID has to be large enough to let the bushing stick through.