Leaf springs

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 86 has the standard HD 3/4 ton springs, and I’d like to get new springs for the front, and stiffer for the rear.

Well really, I’d like to Dana 60 swap the truck, but keep the TTB springs as I understand they are stiffer, but mine are sacked out in the front, and need replaced or re arched. But I digress

The 1990 c&c F350 that I have taken the turbo 7.3 from for my 86 has some wicked lookin springs in the back, but they are overload, and my 86 F250 is not, so it doesn’t have the overload brackets on the frame. I think they are riveted to the frame though.

I see non overload springs for the F Super Duty trucks on the internet, can those be used on an F250? I don’t care about ride quality, but this rig is gonna see off road fire truck and feed truck duty from hell this winter and spring, so it needs to be stiff.

Would like any suggestions on this, need to have stiffer springs before Thanksgiving

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about installing Air Bags?

I installed a set of Firestone Bags on my 86, really made a difference hauling a load. When empty you can drop the pressure down to 10psi which they recommend to keep them at.

I saw this YT Vid which I copied.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I didn`t install to haul more, but didn`t want the old girl dragging her Butt across the Carpet with just the Car Trailer attached.
Last winter I was hauling 1 1/2 and 3/4" fractured rock for the driveway. 3K lbs 1 1/2 yards each load. She was rock steady.

Goat

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose airbags is an option, but let me explain my fire skid. It weighs probably 1400 or so lbs empty and holds 500 gallons, so another 4100. The skid itself is a spot sprayer that is about 9 1/2 - 10’ long. Only fits in trucks with at least an 8’ bed, and hangs out the back onto the tailgate. The sprayer has been modified for very high flow, works very well.

5500 lbs in the bed is brutal, maybe need to upgrade rear axle? What are everyone’s suggestions?

No matter what, brakes must be upgraded, full disc all around and possibly hydroboost

Feed truck duty isn’t as heavy work as it won’t be the bale bed truck, just for checking cows, and hauling a thing of cracked corn once a year. Would like to pull trailers, as I’m hoping to get the truck to where it can do most things my Dodge can, and a few things more. Before I pull trailers with it, I’ll need to switch to 7 way plug and install trailer brake controller, after truck brake upgrades of course.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Theres probably factory holes in the frame for the overload brackets. Rivets can be cut/ground off.

Not sure what year the superduty leafs got longer. Longer leafs means moving the hangers... which is a fair chunk of work.

The 10.25 can carry a lot of weight - nice large hub bearings. If its SRW, its easy to run out of tire capacity.