I've got some problems guys

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and looked at Justins truck and found all the outlet housing bolts had all fallen out, very strange since I personally tightened the hell out of them.

A bent shaft flopping and wobbling around will walk them out.

If the problem recurs in a few weeks, then check the shaft.;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks to Russ I was able to make it home ;Sweet. But something else happened during this drive home. When I was just outside of Salem, I was cruising along doing 60mph and I heard this wierd turbo humming sounds, not like the normal turbo spinning sound coming from the engine, but maybe a little deeper and louder tone. I figured for a couple of miles it was my sister humming beside me, but I asked her to knock it off and she said she wasnt doing it. It went down hill from there, that humming noise got very loud, and my max boost dropped down to 1.5psi, yes 1.5psi was max boost and the humming was loud as hell. I limped home trying not to accelerate at all, and try to drive as little as would use my turbo as possible. My EGT's werent crazy they seemed to be normal, but then again I didnt get on it that long to check max boost. And I looked and those bolts me and Russ put in are all still there, so I'm a little confused as to what happened. I'm gonna go head and and take out the turbo to inspect everything.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn...that sucks! I hate that the turbo project has been a pain in the tail for you. I hope you get whatever it is fixed.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I am completly SOL. I just took off the air filter and I looked into the turbo and the intake wheel is chipped all to **** on the outsides. The side to side play in it is about 1/4". I'm gonna go out on a limb and say thats a little out of spec! I'm thinking that the turbo is shot. I'm pretty sure the intake wheel is, maybe the exhaust wheel. Russ, how much is this gonna cost me, or is it worth it? Maybe I should find another turbo. Pics to come.

Towcat, I'm thinking I must just hit you up on that turbo offer.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Midnight, Nope I really dont wanna even think about were they are at right now :)

Well maybe the play isnt 1/4", but I just rechecked and its at least 1/8", more on the 3/16" area.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull it off and lets see what is worn, I have a new wheel and housing but the exh side could be ok still. That is really strange that this happened. I will get some new bushings ordered so I have them. Pull the snail and see if the pieces are on the screen. More than likely the small bits went thru the motor, I know they will pass a gp tip so some aluminum isnt any big deal.. It is defineately worth fixing . Also need to make sure that oil line has very good flow, although the way it ran out of the block when I took the plug out I am guessing that it is ok.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Pull it off and lets see what is worn, I have a new wheel and housing but the exh side could be ok still. That is really strange that this happened. I will get some new bushings ordered so I have them. Pull the snail and see if the pieces are on the screen. More than likely the small bits went thru the motor, I know they will pass a gp tip so some aluminum isnt any big deal.. It is defineately worth fixing . Also need to make sure that oil line has very good flow, although the way it ran out of the block when I took the plug out I am guessing that it is ok.

Alright Russ, I'll pull it off and bring it over. All I can say now is I am seriously considering selling this POS truck, and be done with the whole fricking fiasco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a great way to start out my fricking week, lord nows I just went through the ********* week of my life last week. I'm really truly not in the mood to go out and fixing and driving this piece of crap truck.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure we will figure out what went wrong, and believe me untill you have been married you have no idea what a bad week is, there are days you wish the truck would break so you can fix it.
BTW these are one of the most dependable rigs out there. I just got my brand new center housing in the mail so I have all the parts to fox it except turbine wheel. I think it would be a good idea to get the assy rebalanced.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin-

Take a deep breath and think before you light it on fire and push it off a cliff... Nothing aggrivates me like my Ford, but I've still got it!

Remove the turbo and send it, the new parts that Russ has, and some money over to a shop that can re-assemble it and balance it. Also, be sure they'll warranty their work! You may have to go slightly bigger on the compressor side and have the housing bored out if it's all chewed up. This is by NO means any sort of derogatory comment towards Russ or his work!! Please, Russ, don't take it the wrong way!

When you re-install it, remove the 90° fitting on top of the turbo and pour some oil through it to be sure it's pre-lubed before you fire the truck.

Keep us all posted!

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually when the intake wheel chips its because something got past the filter. That really needs to be checked closely. I dought the oil flow had anything to do with this breakdown. When you shut down the motor do you wait till the pyro is below 300 degrees? I'm just throwing thoughts out there. Russ is by no means a shadetree mechanic. That I know for a fact. And as he posted.. You haven't had a bad week yet. Your children will show you that. .i spent 3 years in rehab after an industrial injury that cost me 2 operations and years of rehab. During this 3 years my daughter had neurosurgery for 3 tumors then my wife had cancer surgery. Talk about 3 years of hell..... You will get over this. I live every day looking for something good in it. I try to never say no to my wife and daughter because I want them to be happy. We don't know whats coming next. I do feel I will be outliving them both and thats just the way it should be. If I die first the wheels fall off their train. I don't want that and I know life will be very lonely without them. But thats my life.... Jeep the truck. You can't buy a more relieable truck anywhere. My truck put me thru hell for a year and its well documented here as anybody and attest to. Some say I'm under a cloud most of the time..... Just smile at this small setback. When its fixed you will be happy passing all those little imports with the big tailpipes sounding like a mouse farting in a saki can..... You can even give them a big soot bath... I love giving those out for free....;Sweet :D LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I suppose I dont have it even half as bad as some of you guys (or hell for that matter I cant even compare what I'm going through to what some of you guys are going/went through). I'll try to lighten up a bit, its just really frustrating for me, as I'm sure a lot of you guys have gone through when something like this happens to there truck.

Yeah I dont know why the heck it did that on me. Yes I shut it down when its below 300* on the pyro. I dont ever start my truck up and rev the crap out of it before I build up oil preasure. I bet thats what I was hearing the other night with the loud turbo humming sound and no boost, its cause that impeller got all torn to heck and the blade to housing distance was to much for it to allow it to make any sort of boost. It was kinda weird to be going up a hill having to accelerate and seeing less than 1psi, I was like ***. Oh well things will go on, I'll just drive the parents rig around until then.

Hey Russ, I have to work next weekend so I wouldnt be able to drive to Newberg or Mcminnville (or however the heck you spell it :) ), so could you consider meeting me in Dallas Friday afternoon around 4-4:30pm? I'll try to scrounge up some cash for you.

And man my parents are flicking me some major crap for this, and they dont even know my turbo is practically shot. "Thats what you get for Hot rodding it" oh well.

reklund, theres no real cliffs around here, otherwise... :)

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Icanfixall, I love how you put things...."little imports with the big tailpipes sounding like a mouse farting in a saki can.....:rotflmao :rotflmao
Justin, It's priceless what you're learning working on your rig!!!
And besides that, we're all learning something here & there watching your learning experiences.....& that's priceless too.

The Bird of Paradise hasn't flown over you yet & pooped, wind probably blew hard over your way today, but that'll pass. If the black clouds are floating over you, sun will be out in a day or so!!!

And like some these other guys can tell 'ya, when you think things are bad & can't get any worse, & life ain't fair, you can always look round....somebody out there got it worse.....

Good luck on your turbo, it all sounds fixable to me.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin-

In my experience, Parents, especially if they're not into cars, will NEVER understand "hotrodding" a vehicle. Luckily, my dad is a bit of a car guy, so he's been pretty understanding over the years as I've taken a perfectly functioning reliable vehicle and screwed it all up with go-fast parts.

I did it to my Supra. It was a nice car, reliable and a joy to drive on a roadtrip. Now it's a 400HP monster. It's still a hoot on a roadtrip, but rides a bit rough with the stiff suspension. I spent many weekends under it just hoping to have it back together in time to get to school on Monday. It got to the point that I needed a "driver"

So I bought my Toyota pickup from my Uncle. He bought it new in 1984 and it was IMMACULATE when I bought it in 1998. It stayed stock for about 30 minutes after I bought it. I immediately put some new wheels and tires on it, and the 4x4 bug had bit me. Now it's not even street legal. All the while, my dad thought I was crazy for tinkering with my "driver" while the Supra was still down with a blown engine....so I bought the Ford to tow the Toyota pickup to the trails...

...And then I decided that my really nice Ford was too slow, and started to tinker with it. Pretty soon a Turbo, Intercooler, and exhaust was on...then a little lift, some wheels and tires, then the stereo, then...

It never ends. Just hope that your parents understand a little and will lend you their "driver" when yours is down. :D You'll get it, and it'll be great when it's done. Just be patient and remember that nobody we know can afford to do it all overnight. If I had that kind of money, I surely wouldn't be tinkering with my old Ford...

Ryan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online