I've got some problems guys

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay more on the spooling up and down saga. I'm at my grandparents house over in Dallas (they have a 8 acre christmas tree farm, and since my grandfather gave me the truck, guess who gets to help sell them). The trip is just over an hour from my house. My turbo will now do its little spooling up and down thing while idleing, while in first gear but not accelerating (went through down town Salem, so it was a lot of stop and go), I didnt hear any in second or third gear, but it would also do it in 4th gear when driving through town at around 1500 rpm's. I'm thinking that something is seriously going wrong with it, because it seems to be getting worse. Endulge me you guys.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the restriction indicator on the air filter,it could be plugged, then if nothing else get a napa element and try it. it is a factory idi turbo element.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to be in dallas saturday afternoon want me to call you when I get there?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well keep us posted, it will be interesting to see if it turns out to be anything or not. I hope not, you've got too much into it for it to be crappy already. Have fun selling Christmas trees with your grandparents.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What is your boost gauge and pyrometer telling you ??

There indicating all is good. Max boost I've seen so far now is 7.5psi, but I only got on it once on flat land to see. My EGT's arent out of wack or anything either. I'm just not liking the sound of the turbo at the moment. I just got back to my house to pick up another chainsaw, and the turbo spooling up and down is still quite noticable. Sitting in traffic people start looking around, because it seriously sounds like sirens off in the distance. Now I'm gettin this weird humming errrrrrr sound at about 1psi all the way up to around 3psi from the turbo/DP area, I cant really tell. I'm gonna go drive back now, if it craps out on me, it craps out on me. Oh well.

Russ, sure give me a call, but heres the deal. I havent told anybody that I'm thinking something is wrong, so if you come see it, just say your checking up on it. Give me a call, and I'll give you directions on how to get there.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay things are starting to get really really bad. I just got back into dallas, and I looked under my truck and it is covered in oil, with a bunch of oil on the back of the starter. Boost is down, i'm only getting a little over 1psi at 60mph were as I was at over 2psi, and I'm barely at 3psi at 65mph were I was at a little over 4psi before. That weird errr sounds is back with vengence, and everytime it happens the turbo spools down. I need help ASAP.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You wouldn't by any chance have a way to record that sound with a laptop or ?
funny sounds are pretty hard to go by description.

Does it have an electric fuel pump?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to go check it out, I cant imagine that it is bearings, but just cause they are new doesnt mean anything, I hope it is some loose bolts or some thing easy. The getting worse concerns me. I wonder if the downpipe is slipping out of the housing. Ats didnt do a good job on that area.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Man I'm sorry russ that I didnt carry my phone on me cookoo . Thanks for trying to get ahold of me though. Yes I'm quite worried something has gone seriously wrong with it. Its spewing out a bunch of oil (when I was at my house I let it idle while I went in and posted. It idled for about 10 minutes and when I got out there was a 4" diamter puddle of oil under the rear passenger side under the engine). Plus its making hardly any boost any more, and its making that weird humming sound more than half the time. The humming sound goes away when I get on it. Hopefully its something like the DP not in there correctly, or maybe even and exhaust leak before the turbo. I will try to get a sound clip tommorow or the next day. Sometimes when I'm idleing I can hardly hear my turbo whistle, or even cant hear it, where as before I could hear it no problem.

suv7734

Reaction score
With the oil leak, lack of boost and sound you're hearing I would think it's probably best not to run it any more than necessary until you can identify the problem. Try to get a sound clip and some pics if possible.
Sorry to hear about this.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread but haven't had anything to say until now.
Isolate the cause of your turbo failure first. Post findings.
If you need to change out the turbo, I do have a spare WG ATS on my shelf that you can use to get home. No I'm not interested in selling it but I am willing to loan it out as long as I get it back undamaged.
Let me know if this will help.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that much of an oil leak you might want to leave it parked. It would be a shame to run it out of oil. Hmmm, hopefully Russ and you can get it fixed. I wonder if the lack of adequate drainback could cause this or not.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the time to pull it off if you dont find anything obvious and bring it over and we can inspect it. I will order some new bushings and seals to have on hand. Are you going to be in dallas tomorrow, I will be in mac and I could come look at it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not used to the low boost pressures most of you guys are seeing out of these IDI turbos.

My old Hypermax/GARRETT on the old 6.9 would easily punch 15-18 PSI on an ISSPRO gauge.

With the stock un-altered Holset turbo, on the Cummins, I easily see 15-20 PSI in normal driving; and, with the trailer, on a grade, I can bury the needle on a 35PSI gauge.

What is different with these low-boost turbos ??