I've got some problems guys

suv7734

Reaction score
Rider,

An IDI has over 20:1 compression ratio so anything over about 12# boost is looking for trouble IE head gaskets etc.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I brought about 3/4 of a gallon of Delo with me, after I filled back up to full at home. I guess I'll take it extremly easy driving back tommorow, and then park it/work on it next week.

And Russ, I will be in Dallas, but I'm going to be heading home around 3-4pm. Maybe we can meet up somewhere in town so you can take a look. I'll keep my phone on me all of tommorow as well.

And if I can explain the humming sound a little better, it almost sounds like a loose exhaust pipe that is chattering/rattling/rubbing against something. I also looked some more for the oil leak, and it looks like my intake manifold under the turbo is pretty well coated with oil.

Now, how do I explain this to the parents... :puke:

Oh and Towcat I really appreciate the offer. I'll see what happens this week, and I might hit you up on it, I'll pay for shipping. Hopefully between me and Russ (if I dont find something obviously wrong with the turbo before I take it off) can get this thing squared away.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 has 20.7:1 compression ratio while the Cummins has a much lower compression ratio, I seem to recall 17:1. The 15-18 psi from that hypermax is much higher than most people are able to get with an IDI and turbo, but its a believable value since a non gated turbo will keep boosting until the motor blows or runs out of RPMs. Now Justin's turbo is a waste gated ATS which will "waste" any boost over around 9-12, depending on how its adjusted. MNR, how long did you have that hypermax on your 6.9, you were really lucky not to at least blow a headgasket assuming that is an accurate reading.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it sounds like a rattling exhaust pipe, chances are it is. Most likely the downpipe worked it's way loose. Did you use a section of flex pipe between the downpipe and the main section of the exhaust? if not, and you have rubber engine and tranny mounts, the DP easily could have walked out enough to rattle against the firewall making a heck of a racket. I had the same thing happen when I first mounted mine, except mine did it within 2 miles. I turned the DP around for better clearance and cobbled up a different shaped mounting bracket that held it in better.
Even heavy frame flex could have popped it out if you've been in some squirrily places.

look closely at the oil mess, is it coming from the area between the turbo and the pedestal, where the O ring is or from around the grommit in the valley pan.

If it's too hard to see the oil till it's a big mess, you can get some UV dye like for AC systems, except get the stuff for use in engine oil, probably take 2 bottles for one this size, and run it a little with that and get in there with the UV light ( don't forget the UV safety glasses ) and a mirror and you will be able to clearly see the smallest leak and be able to tell exactly where it's coming from, it will glow bright yellow .

-----Robert

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 15-18 psi from that hypermax is a believable value since a non gated turbo will keep boosting until the motor blows or runs out of RPMs.
MNR, how long did you have that hypermax on your 6.9,

The turbo was installed in 1985 and the engine was pulled in 2006.

Not long before the engine swap, I had to replace the turbo unit with a new one, due to internal oil seal leaking.

Boost was measured from a fitting in the back of that aluminum pot thingie that covers the hole where the non-turbo breather used to be.

The head-gaskets that I-H put in there in 1985 are still in there today; the engine was quick-starting and coolant-leak-free when I pulled it.

Thanks for explaining the reasons for the varying boost pressures.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I wonder if the o-ring under the turbo on the pedestal got pinched when the turbo was put on. I do know that the nuts holding the turbo down were tight.
You can also get above the engine and reach your hand around the right of the turbo and down to where the pedestal sits in the valley pan and feel if that's wet with oil. You should be able to get a look back there too if you climb all the way back over the engine and use a flashlight. Also check the 2 bolts that hold the pedestal to the back of the intake manifold where the CDR was previously mounted.

I wish I could help, but work's got me by the balls with overtime right now. If you have to let it sit 'til next weekend and you and Russ haven't gotten it worked out, maybe I can come help you pull the turbo off.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang dude...all I can say is you either did something right that a lot of us don't do or someone upstairs was really smiling on you. Most 6.9s get new head gaskets at around 100-200K miles. That much boost....yikes. That is the correct place to measure it, are you pretty confident the gauge was accurate? The most I've seen from my non gated ATS so far is around 4-6psi but then again my fuel settings are very conservative and I'm usually empty or lightly loaded.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the correct place to measure it, are you pretty confident the gauge was accurate?
my fuel settings are very conservative and I'm usually empty or lightly loaded.

The gauge is an ISSPRO, probably as good as it gets.

You got to crank up the fuel to make the big dog walk

BIG trailer loads of cattle will take the slack out of things.;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went and looked at Justins truck and found all the outlet housing bolts had all fallen out, very strange since I personally tightened the hell out of them. I guess that isnt the place for never seez. It should be ok after he gets the last one in, of course it's special. The oil is coming around the intake hat and he has some blowby so I told him to change the gasket, oil and filter then track leaks after that.
The erratic spooling was from the exhaust pressure leaking out the bolt holes.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, that sure sounds good. What do you want to bet that the turbo not spinning properly from the housing opened up, also caused the excess oil to get belched through the breather ( and out around the gasket). I've run into similar situations on other diesels before when crankcase pressure built up do to not enough scavanging through the breather into the intake would cause extra oil vapour to belch into the intake. There some diesels that will do that just by putting a low restriction air filter on like a K&N.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Went and looked at Justins truck and found all the outlet housing bolts had all fallen out, very strange since I personally tightened the hell out of them. I guess that isnt the place for never seez. It should be ok after he gets the last one in, of course it's special. The oil is coming around the intake hat and he has some blowby so I told him to change the gasket, oil and filter then track leaks after that.
The erratic spooling was from the exhaust pressure leaking out the bolt holes.

Very strange indeed.
All that oil is just coming from around the intake hat?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I could see that was about it. Hard to tell with nothing to stand on and just under the bank drive thru cover.
It does have a k&n in it.
He needs to look at the rear oil temp sender and see if it is leaking, the pedestal APPEARS dry.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
Dang dude...all I can say is you either did something right that a lot of us don't do or someone upstairs was really smiling on you. Most 6.9s get new head gaskets at around 100-200K miles. That much boost....yikes. That is the correct place to measure it, are you pretty confident the gauge was accurate? The most I've seen from my non gated ATS so far is around 4-6psi but then again my fuel settings are very conservative and I'm usually empty or lightly loaded.

Really!!! The most that I have seen out of my 6.9 with an 088 kit is 9lbs of pressure (empty). I haven't turned up the fuel on the IP yet.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
Well, that sure sounds good. What do you want to bet that the turbo not spinning properly from the housing opened up, also caused the excess oil to get belched through the breather ( and out around the gasket). I've run into similar situations on other diesels before when crankcase pressure built up do to not enough scavanging through the breather into the intake would cause extra oil vapour to belch into the intake. There some diesels that will do that just by putting a low restriction air filter on like a K&N.

I do have crankcase pressure built up and I run a K&N filter. So if I go to a paper filter, would that relieve some of that Crank case pressure that I have then???? I do have the valve hooked up to the air box on my ATS!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I do have crankcase pressure built up and I run a K&N filter. So if I go to a paper filter, would that relieve some of that Crank case pressure that I have then???? I do have the valve hooked up to the air box on my ATS!

Is it burning oil , or just steady blowby? If not loosing oil, don't worry about it, but if loosing oil, try a stock filter. The systems are designed for a paper filter which allows a small amount of vacuum to steadily draw the blowby gasses into the intake, but with a free flowing filter, that vacuum dissappears and without the crankcase gas scavenging created by that vacuum, crankcase pressure builds and for some dang reason I can't remember, oil vapour starts pushing through the breather and shoots into the intake stream in bursts.

First time I ran into that on a Volvo diesel n/a the things was running great and I put a free flowing filter on and immidiately started inhaling oil.Stuck the stock one back on, problem solved. Spent a mind numbing amount of time researching balanced crankcase breather systems and found that it wasn't just my imagination.
I've run into it on a number of other odd engines since. if it's belching enough in, it can cause the idle to vary up and down and cause surging going down the road.

-------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online