I've got some problems guys

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin-

In my experience, Parents, especially if they're not into cars, will NEVER understand "hotrodding" a vehicle. Luckily, my dad is a bit of a car guy, so he's been pretty understanding over the years as I've taken a perfectly functioning reliable vehicle and screwed it all up with go-fast parts.

I did it to my Supra. It was a nice car, reliable and a joy to drive on a roadtrip. Now it's a 400HP monster. It's still a hoot on a roadtrip, but rides a bit rough with the stiff suspension. I spent many weekends under it just hoping to have it back together in time to get to school on Monday. It got to the point that I needed a "driver"

So I bought my Toyota pickup from my Uncle. He bought it new in 1984 and it was IMMACULATE when I bought it in 1998. It stayed stock for about 30 minutes after I bought it. I immediately put some new wheels and tires on it, and the 4x4 bug had bit me. Now it's not even street legal. All the while, my dad thought I was crazy for tinkering with my "driver" while the Supra was still down with a blown engine....so I bought the Ford to tow the Toyota pickup to the trails...

...And then I decided that my really nice Ford was too slow, and started to tinker with it. Pretty soon a Turbo, Intercooler, and exhaust was on...then a little lift, some wheels and tires, then the stereo, then...

It never ends. Just hope that your parents understand a little and will lend you their "driver" when yours is down. :D You'll get it, and it'll be great when it's done. Just be patient and remember that nobody we know can afford to do it all overnight. If I had that kind of money, I surely wouldn't be tinkering with my old Ford...

Ryan

Ryan

My parents arent all that into vehicles. My father used to be, he had (well still has, were in the process of a 10 year restoration :) ) a 1970 Dodge Challenger SE 383 727torqueflite. It was a 2bbl when he got it, the he threw on a edelbrok intake and a Carter 4bbl. He put a cam in it and some other things. He also worked in a machine shop for like 5 years. So he was into cars for a while, buts its kinda slipping for him. He still knows a bunch of stuff, but nothing at all about diesels. Kinda weird but my mother was more supportive of the whole "hotrodding" thing than my dad was. I really have no reason to explain that, maybe he doesnt want me to be as stupid as he was as a kid (cause he was).

They know I'm trying to get it back on the road, but I only have an hour or two to work on it after school because I'm getting inindated with a bunch of homework as of late.

And the other reason they were kinda against it was for like 20 years my grandfather owned this truck with very many problems with it. And now I'm screwing around with it things have gone down the crapper as far as dependability goes.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, obviously the problem is not that you put a turbo on, but that the airstream was contaminated. Now we have to find out why that happened before you put the nice freshly rebuilt turbo in. I get the same stuff from my family whenever I want to tinker with the truck, my parents and my brother. Just hang in there...you've got something cool that was your grandfather's, you have the upgrades.... you know you like it when its right. Hang in there,
JD

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbo was prelubed prior to install and startup, the only thing I can think of is sub standard bushings, a couple kits I have used are not original garrett, and I talked with the parts supplier that I now use and I will be buying all parts from him. They have had problems with the same type I used. Justin I am sorry for the trouble, there will be no labor involved because I stand behind what I build. But if the turbine is f###ed up we will have to order one , and I will send the rotating assembly to get it balanced, The guy says everything factory garrett is zero balanced and you can swap wheels and shafts with no problems, I believe him because they are third gen turbo shop. Plus it makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, build parts, balance them all to zero ,them assemble various turbos with no worries. I am sure Icanfixall will chime in if I am wrong on this.
Are you in dallas this weekend I dont know if I can get there friday. let me know.
My best friend has a 70 se 383 that he is restoring, almost done and I did the engine and trans, small world huh??

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I know the parent thing too well. My dad was not only un-supportive of my tinkering, he was 100% against it, for no real reason. I guess it wasn't just cars, but everything. He grew up with very little, so he had this feeling that you only buy what is absolutely neccessary to get by. As i got older, i managed to work him over a bit and get him to adjust more to modern situations where you can afford to spend a little, have a little fun, and it's okay. He still won't borrow any of my rides though, afraid they'll break down on him(for good reason, after this last episode with my truck.)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This little setback is not a real indicator of it being a problem vehicle. Even brand new parts fail sometimes, and it's a pain for all involved when it happens.

Just a few weeks ago I finished up a major service , timing belts, idlers, seals balance shafts, water pump, etc ad nauseam on one of my regular customer's cars ( and she's been bringing here cars to me for years ), and I had declared that was going to be my last customer car repair , I'm getting too crippled up to do it anymore, but I wanted to get her major service all out of the way for a couple of years so she wouldn't have to worry about the thing ( good customer, she's always paid a nice tip ;Sweet . Well, she calls me 2 days later and it's pouring oil out. gets it back here and I have to tear the whole mess back apart due to a failed seal ( dry rot, thing had been sitting on the shelf at the dealership too long , turns out when volvo got bought by ford, ford stopped rotating stock on consumable items, that explains a bunch of crappy ford parts from dealerships as well ) Anyway, Between waiting on parts from another source to make sure I got them from a different batch and only able to wrench about a half hour at a time anymore, I had this poor ladies car tied up another week ( and had to replace all the brand new timing belts that had got soaked with oil ).

It's just one of those things, It happens to the best of us... but it still sucks :fan: -cuss -cuss -cuss

You should see the nagging I have to put up with from wife.gov. She wants me to sell one of our diesel cars " because it's always broken " . Always broken consists of, when I first got it, I rebuilt the engine and replaced everything under the hood but the power steering pump. Then she drove the thing for two years trouble free commuting 80 miles a day and finally the alternator and glow plug controller went out within 2 weeks. Neither time requiring it to come home on a hook, but that constitutes "always broken" :rolleyes:

Hang in there

----------Robert

suv7734

Reaction score
As has been said... Hang in there big guy. It'll all be OK in no time you've got some very knowledgable help on the way. Remember the deal with the metal hitting the fender? It's been dealt with and just a bad situation to draw from for 'future reference'.
One of the post reminds me of a situation I went through a long time ago regarding the hot rodding thing. I had a perfectly running '69 Chevelle with a 250 CID engine etc. etc. Well I had bigger ideas for the car and finally found a good 454 CID to rebuild and put in the car. I couldn't even dream of telling my parents about it because they would shoot me down and ridicule anything to do with my modifying the car. Long story short I spent a lot of time and effort to research what was necessary to do the upgrade including suspension etc. (no internet in those days... gawd I feel old) and got all the parts together. I redid the car with the help of some buddies and it turned out beautifully, a couple of glitches (like you've found) but it all worked out. The funny part was when I went out of town for work a while after finishing the car it was at the shop (where my Dad and I both worked) and I asked him to take it home for me. Once I got home I found out he had been driving it the whole time I was gone and it took about a week before I got my car back from him (had to drive a company truck). It took about another month to get the smile off his face every time he talked about driving it. He even smiles about it today and that's been... well longer than you've been alive! (gawd I feel even older now)
It'll happen...

Man I miss that car

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, hopefully I can get this fixed and have it run for more than a week or two without any problems on the truck. And I hope that the shaft isnt bent or out of wack, cause I'm sure that is a expen$ive piece to replace. Russ yes I'll be in Dallas from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. I would really like to have the turbo fixed this weekend so I can get my truck going next week sometime. But if you cant do it, than thats alright. I'll have around $200 cash, hopefully you can take that money and run with it and get most of the parts/work done on it. And you might as well order a cold side impeller, cause I'm am positive this one is shot. I would post a pic, but for some reason it wont let me.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... and believe me untill you have been married you have no idea what a bad week is, there are days you wish the truck would break so you can fix it.
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
How true that statement is!

Sorry for your troubles guy. Hang in there, it is always darkest before the dawn.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wont be able to get it balanced that quick. Or a shaft if it is bad, unless some one has a bunch of johndeere turbos around. Same turbine as ats used, 6059 deere industrial gen engine.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Sounds like my battles with the wife....LOL....She was giving me grief over my 2wd to 4wd swap (cost and time involved) until last night when it snowed and I was all over the place in 2wd trying to drive home with her in the passenger seat.....Now she understands why I'm trying to finish this thing and maybe she will be a little more understanding the next time I spend the night in the shop.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, mine doesnt even know when I am in the shop . See how I rate.

Justin when you get that off, start it and make sure the oil line squirts very well. We dont want to hurt a loaner part and also change the oil.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hmmmm, mine doesnt even know when I am in the shop . See how I rate.

Justin when you get that off, start it and make sure the oil line squirts very well. We dont want to hurt a loaner part and also change the oil.

Will do, what do I do if it doesnt flow that much oil? How long should I have it running to check the oil presure? I wouldnt think to long, just long enough to build up some oil preasure.

What would cause a turbo to do this in the first place? It was fine when I first put it in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online