I've got some problems guys

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do, what do I do if it doesnt flow that much oil? How long should I have it running to check the oil presure? I wouldnt think to long, just long enough to build up some oil preasure.

What would cause a turbo to do this in the first place? It was fine when I first put it in.

Just till it pumps good.
I dont have a clue at this point, yours is the first I have ever had trouble with.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably its not relevant, but my turbo kit came with a K&N and also with a damaged compressor wheel and bad bearings/seals. I tossed it and threw in a paper element. I know this comment will stir some crap up :)

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Justin,
Dont sweat the troubles. Im not much older than you and have tinkered with my own cars since I was 13 and bought my first car (1971 RS/SS Camaro, yes its real) and found out it had a seriously damaged engine after starting it from sitting 15 years. Im still working on that one, full frame off resto. When I was 16 I bought another camaro a 79 Z28 and worked on it extensively throughout HS.
Then I got into a few IDI trucks of my own, and have ran into all kinds of fix one thing and another breaks, or even the new part breaks.
I've gotten so discouraged with my 71 so many times I've thought about selling it for what I've got in the engine alone, but never do because I'm too attached to it.

Stick it out Justin, you'll be happy you did.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay, I just informened them I needed to get it rebuilt. They took it a bunch better than I expected, but they were still kinda mad about it. They looked at each other (mother and father) and were like "it was a perfectly fine truck before the turbo," but other than that they took it fine. There are some problems with this though.

First off, Russ you gotta know that I have full faith in your diesel/turbo experience/knowledge/work. That said, they dont want me to have you rebuild it because this turbo went bad so fast, I think they are trying to lay the blame on you a little bit. **** happens, I know that, and I figure if you would go out of your way to help me install you thought that it would last. So it looks like I'm going to either do it myself, or have a diesel shop do it for me. Russ, I am willing to buy those parts that you ordered off of you so I can do this. Remember that this isnt my decision, they are kinda telling me so, if they werent I would have you do it for me. Hopefully you wont hate me after this.

So whats involved in rebuilding a turbo? Can I do most of the work myself? Like can I do the bearings and put on the new impeller and everything? I know I'll have to have the housing honed, and the shaft balanced at some place, but other than that do you think I could do it? Any special tools involved?

Oh and Russ by the way that one 12 point bolt on the exhaust housing is still there. Though its missing a bolt on the inside of the exhaust housing.

And Towcat, thank you for your offer of letting me use your turbo, your a great guy to do that for some strange young guy. But they seem fine with me driving there rig around for a week or more, so I'm gonna have to not take you up on your offer. Thanks so very much man ;Sweet.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My professional opinion - for what it's worth - take it to a repair shop....You are dealing with a very high speed shaft and critical clearances/tolerances....If it fails big time it can take the engine with it...We don't rebuild them at work, we either buy a cartridge kit or put on a new turbo....Too expensive to repair under warranty if it were to fail after a tech rebuilt it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 I wouldn't mess with it myself either. If you have a good turbo and injection shop nearby you probably are looking at a $400-500 bill. Ken charged me about that for the same thing...new compressor wheel, bearings, seals. Russ, don't be mad at Justin, we all remember how it is when the man of the house puts his foot down. I think you have aquitted yourself honorably in this matter. Another option is you could send it off to one of these flat rate turbo repair shops. Anybody know what OFI charges for rebuilding a turbo? Good luck,
JD

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin, I would highly recommend to not to try to rebuild it your self. I sent my turbo off to this place http://www.jhdiesel.com/ and had it rebuilt and a new turbine housing installed for $550 and the housing was $225, so it really cost $325 to have it rebuilt, and they are some really nice people, if you do call ask for Mike or Anthony. I know that it is a ways from you but they rebuilt mine the next day they got it and had it shipped out to me. But the best part is they include a 1 year warrenty with it;Sweet .

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good gracious that sounds like a lot!! Might be better off scaring up another turbo if its going to cost that much. Didn't Russ say that Deere used the same turbos as ATS in the AG equipment? I know Ken would probably do it for less, but you might be down for a little longer than you really want to be o: Check out majestic turbo...I think they have a flat 350 dollar rate + shipping. You might also check into an exchange/rebuild program at one of these shops. Might also be a good time to get the bigger housing if you want. You might also talk to ATS directly...I know they suck, and I don't recall if they support this turbo anymore or not. Just trying to get all the options on the table.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well as I said, this is the only turbo out of about 75 that I have built over the years that has failed, I am pretty certain it was the non garrett bushings .I called the supplier and they said, so sorry we havent had any problems, Well I find out that particular place doesnt build turbos they just sell hotrod parts. I will only get parts from the shop in cali that I have mentioned before. Live and learn, and I am a little put out that your folks wont at least let me tear it down and inspect it, I need the info ,so if you do take it somewhere else Make damn sure to get the old parts back I need them for obvious reasons. I stand behind what i sell and I dont know any other way to do business. btw call the guy and pay for the tailpipe. I pmed you the number. Ask your dad if he ever had any problems in business I bet he has some stories to tell.

If you do chance it yourself get a garrett kit . I watched a factory repair shop do turbos when I went to school, other that the balancing they are not black magic. The measuring tools are the same as building a race prep engine, I know my limitations and this isn't one of them. I am very upset that it failed. The other setup I have for sale is coming apart tomorrow because it has the other non factory parts in it.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
justin-
Rebuilding a turbo IS NOT A DO-IT-YOURSELF job. as simple as it is, there's many things to go wrong and your motor is going to be the one to pay the price for it. IE....the shrapnel from the turbo is going to wind up in the motor and cause irreparable harm. I am a believer in getting the whole assy spin balanced and any shop you send it to must include that in the rebuild labor or they aren't worth the money spent. Think carefully and use the advice input from others as part of your decision. But....if you really want to learn things the hard way.....well, there's that way too.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay it sounds like this rebuild is gonna cost a bunch of money. That really sucks, but I guess I have to do it. Russ, I'll definatly have the people do it save all the stuff and send it to you. Maybe I can convince them to let you tear it down and everything, I'll try. If I bought a turbo for a factory IDI, do you suppose that I could ditch that housing and put my exhaust housing on?

Just out of curiosity whats the price of a new turbo? I'm kinda on the fence about what to do, I'll try to research some things.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call oregon fuel injection . Or call alamo turbo in seattle I think. The shops in portland use both of these.

call this person and just get a new cartridge and bolt on your housings
909-824-1020
His name is James and this where I am getting my parts from.
I think I am done with advice.
Yes that housing is the upgrade for a stock idi turbo

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BEFORE YOU SWIM IN TOO DEEP

Return the engine/exhaust to it's naturally aspirated state and drive it a few weeks.

This will show up just what internal damages it suffered from the shrapnel.

I don't think any foreign objects went through the wheel.

I think the shaft flopping around just eat it up.

As to the K&N filters, most of the Dodge/Cummins crowd have quit them, on account of finding thick coatings of DUST beyond the filters.

They all prefer the paper filters.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The truck runs fine, starts fine, all is good. It just didnt make any boost, no weird engine noises. Russ, I'll explain to the parents this situation and see what they say, I would like you to do it, so if I convince them you wouldnt be po'ed at me enough not to do it would you?

It could very well been a bent shaft, though it ran fine for a while, where I would think that a bent shaft would cause havic right away (I had a good 500 miles on it before it had any signs of anything going wrong)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online