I need some suggestions, please

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My own experience with your situation, starting right up, then dying, then cranking a while before starting again, is usually the result of fuel draining out of the draw lines before the injector pump, either from a tiny leak in the line itself, or leaking back into the tank via a crack in the draw-tube in the tank itself.

Another suspect is the fuel-pump diaphragm having a tiny leak, letting fuel leak back into the crank-case.

Before starting, pull the dip-stick and smell the oil for diesel; don't stick your nose in the oil.

If you smell diesel, then, most likely, the diaphragm in the pump is leaking.

I don't think the return lines will affect an engine in this manner.

You are losing "PRIME", between the tank and injector pump, via a fuel leak somewhere.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Welcome to my world and this site also!! My world because what you are describing is exactly what has been happening to me for the last couple months! I finally found the problem today...the fuel line going from the filter head to the injector pump has a hole in it spraying fuel. Looks like Midnight's explanation makes alot of sense now. I'll know Tuesday when the line comes in if I've fixed my air leak. Good luck chasing it down! ;Sweet

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've already received good advice on the starting & dying issue, so I'll give you another possible source for new replacement interior parts - JCWhiney.com

They used to be the cheapest place around for stuff like that - though I don't know if they still are or not....

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.
I will check Whitneys catalog, was just wondering if someone on here may have "parts". If anyone has any that are medium blue (seats, dash door pieces etc) let me know.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Welcome to my world and this site also!! My world because what you are describing is exactly what has been happening to me for the last couple months! I finally found the problem today...the fuel line going from the filter head to the injector pump has a hole in it spraying fuel. Looks like Midnight's explanation makes alot of sense now. I'll know Tuesday when the line comes in if I've fixed my air leak. Good luck chasing it down! ;Sweet

Darn! I would have had fun finding that. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle