I need some suggestions, please

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hubby and I have a 91 F350 with 7.3 IDI. Have been having issues cranking in the morning. It cranks and then shudders( like it sucks air) and shuts off. I then have a hard time re-cranking but once it cranks is fine.
We have just replaced the filter/separator housing and fuel heater. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or has had this happen on their truck?
Any help is appreciated.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now we can use the back tank only, pick up for front one needs to be replaced. Since this has been happening it has ranged anywhere from 1/4 tank to a full tank (this has been going on for a month or so)
We have not checked the return lines, that is a good thought.
I was wondering about the lines going into the injectors? Don't they have o-rings? Wondering if that could cause this problem?

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lines going from the pump to the injectors do not have o-ring in them. But the fuel line from the lift pump, to the filter, filter to the injection pump have seals in them. They could be leaking.
Did this happen when changing the filter housing, or is that why you did it?

Return lines are a maintenance item. Also, you can place a piece of clear tube into the fuel return system to see if you are getting air. If it fires, dies, cranks, fires and runs fine for the day, I would start with the return line kit.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Defintley air getting in somehow. Would start with replacing return lines aswell.

It likely wouldn't be the lines going to the injectors because if they were leaking you'd know it, fuel would either be spraying out or you engine would have a misfire. Fuel is pressurized in those lines to about 2000 psi.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We changed the filter/separator housing due to leaking, did not realize the fuel heater was separate until we got the part. The leak was actually coming from the "electrical" connection of the fuel heater, so we replaced that as well.
As far as I can tell there are no other fuel leaks. The lift pump was checked by my mechanic and honestly as good as he is I bet he checked the seals in that line.
We try to do some repairs ourselves to save money and the fact that it is somewhat out of the way to get to the mechanic as well.
I had heard that the o-rings are a common problem, so will check return lines and those and hopefully get it right.
I love this truck and other than needing some cosmetic work (paint job) it normally runs great. I Drive it daily to work and we haul a steel 3 horse bumper pull trailer most weekends. We bought it in 03 after my 96 F150 was totaled by an idiot driver and as much as I like the newer ones I would not give it up.
Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that it runs fine and every few months has a series of small issues. We suspect that it was used as a car hauler before we bought it.
Also does anyone know a good source for interior parts? We replaced some trim on the dash but are looking for a new dash and would like to convert the 50/50 split seat to buckets, if possible. Also wanting new dorr panels and other interior trim.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. ;Sweet Be sure to check out our technical articles, and give the fuel system servicing article a quick read. You'll find a bit of a how to in there concerning your return line servicing task. Air usually leaks in without letting fuel out, so you can't look and tell if they leak or not. You could also consider an electric fuel pump to replace the mechanical one. Most have found that in cases like yours with a persistent or nagging air leak, the cranking time is reduced and consequently wear and tear on the starter and glow plugs is reduced.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If the fuel line from the Filter/IP was removed. I'd definately replace the seals. They dry up over the years. When you disturb them, they're a bear to get to seal properly.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA HA HA , LOL Figured I better learn to start fixing this truck myself.....

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Interior?

Also does anyone know a good source for interior parts? We replaced some trim on the dash but are looking for a new dash and would like to convert the 50/50 split seat to buckets, if possible. Also wanting new dorr panels and other interior trim.

I've got a '90 that I'm parting out, there's some pics in my ad. Are the '90 and '91 the same? Anybody?
http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14555

Not sure where you are, so shipping may be a bit.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
I think it was '92 that most things changed (from my searching for parts for my '93 anyway). I usually look at LMC's site to see if the part I'm looking for is the same for my year as the one I'm looking to scavenge/salvage.

Mike

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I think it was '92 that most things changed (from my searching for parts for my '93 anyway). I usually look at LMC's site to see if the part I'm looking for is the same for my year as the one I'm looking to scavenge/salvage.

Mike

And it looks like you are correct sir! Thanks.