I Bent It. idit me

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh fudge.
So the truck sat for about 5 weeks and I went to start it. Crank, crank, oh shtge!
Let the glow plugs cool off about 20 minutes and give the intake a shot of ether.
It started up and runs. Now it restarts with no problem because I have not let it sit another 5 weeks.
Low speed has this nasty bit of a rough idle. I really suspect I bent a push rod. Once my other vehicle is running, I will take a hose to the valve covers and see if one side sounds different from the other.
The Holley electric fuel pump is next, I believe I remember which one it was and the next thing is wiring it in.
Any suggestions on exactly which pump and how wired?
I have an idea but maybe someone has a better idea.
Thanks to one and all in advance.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This looks like a good candidate to fix your concern...I plan on doing this as soon as I feel the urgency...

I was taken aback by how innnovative this fix really is...and simple at the same time...

Automatically priming fuel system hack​

Look up that thread...

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that. I know this subject of installing/wiring a fuel pump has been hacked to death.
The fun part is going to be locating the push rods.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don't use a facett
Can't find the original...

Eta no faccett

Take a sheet of glass and roll the pushrod across it, look 4 wobble.
As glass is dead flat.

Last edited:

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the Facet 40285 wasn't *quite* enough by itself when running more than the stock 6 psi boost on my 7.3... fuel pressure warning light would come on above that. But a mechanical pump feeding the Facet works great, doesn't run out of fuel pressure at 12 psi boost which is all I dare to run without studs.

I plumbed the mech pump into the Facet rather than the other way around primarily because if the mech diaphragm springs a leak, the electric pump will fill the crankcase with diesel.
Also, although the Facet is rated to lift the fuel several feet (it's used in ****** units), electric pumps aren't that good at sucking.

Edit: apparently "sucking" is OK, but you can't use the ubiquitous trucker's term for a refrigerator unit. Sigh.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
How else is Google gonna make money off ad revinue if we don't keep this as a clean Christian forums? Oh wait... I use an ad blocker.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refinery was not public, alas poor yorick.....

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shame on me for not paying attention to this thread of my creation.
I suspect a bent push rod from the usage of ether in a diesel engine.
The other option might be bending a conn rod. Now if I pull the V/C, remove the push rods, roll them around and if I find no damage, then the next step might be in the conn rod inspection. Impressive is that this engine currently has about 7K miles since installation. Not my daily driver and I am about to order up some HP increase chunks. It runs out fairly well, it could be better.
I will probably take a hose to the V/C and listen for a tick. if I do not find a tick, a comp check will be next. I really do not desire to pull both sides V/C.
Now if memory was working, I could have sworn I installed a set of upgraded push rods. The next step up is roughly $389 a set. However, I have no future plans on ether or running that large a HP increase to warrant $389 push rods.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The way you said it, the truck started right up with ether. Since you didn't mention any bad side effects from the ether, that doesn't sound like a bent push rod to me.
Like you said, though, check for any bad/odd/different sounds while the engine's running. If you can't find any, I would look for something other than bent push rods or bent connecting rods.
By the way, did you ever figure out why the engine didn't start at the beginning of this thread? How does it start now? How are your glow plugs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online