Converting mechanical fuel pump to electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Riot Warrior for documenting his journey to an electric fuel pump! - Moderator

So after mucho testing and so forth...YA Lift pump basically shot...I can spit more than it's capable of pushing.-cuss

I went to Lordco today to get a NEW CARTER lift pump..

So getting that pump out is a bit of a wrist bender..but not impossible....

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see here, there is quite a difference between the two pumps. I took it back!:dunno-cuss

Now on to my new electric POS pump...UGH....but it's what I got to work with for now! Tomorrow it gets installed! Quickly!

You must be registered for see images

ON a SIDE NOTE....some how this happened to get into the back of the wife's truck,;Sweet;Sweet and as hard as I tried to get it to listen it would not get out.....so it came home and I now have another (pet...project)...:rotflmao

I told it to flip...and it just layed back so I could shoot that side...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
That new pump looks exactly like the new one I put on my '87 when I still had it... I've never seen one that looks like your original.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
radiator? thats a damn 6.0L intercooler.;Sweet

just so you know pretty much ALL aftermarket mechanical pumps look like that and they work just fine.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after mucho testing and so forth...YA Lift pump basically shot...I can spit more than it's capable of pushing.-cuss

I went to Lordco today to get a NEW CARTER lift pump..

So getting that pump out is a bit of a wrist bender..but not impossible....

As you can see here, there is quite a difference between the two pumps. I took it back!:dunno-cuss

For me, it was just the opposite. The pump on the left is the one I installed 6 years ago (Airtex 60278). The pump on the right is the replacement that Rock Auto sent me (Carter M60278). Both pumps are available and like 94IDIT sez, they both work fine. ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea my pump arms looked differant to, they both worked though. they seem to have played with the shape of the arms over the years. i would still like to see if a cummins piston lift pump could bolt up......no more diaphram to crap out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As it is, without knowing that and only a few hours to swap pumps, I had to make the decision as I have to have this truck running today. This will just make priming and so forth easier.

IT is decided, for now...the cheap lil lift pump then I'll get a Carrier once I get my Racor FG 500 rebuilt and a place for both the pump and filter to mount worked out.

Once the Carrier/Racor setup is deal with, I'll pull the lil green pump out.

I'll post pics of how it goes today!

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the carrier lift pump on my truck. I was amazed at how easy the install was. Your should be real simple also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See the weep holes above the diaphram on the new lift pump... Much better design. With the drain holes I feel you would know right away if the diaphram broke. Diesel would be spotting anytime you park the rig.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Might want to watch that pump I don't think they are known to keep the fuel flowing well for our rigs.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you are good lol, how can you tell its a 6ls intercooler?

i have seen pics of the 6.0L IC before lol. the 6.0L coolers are much bigger than the 7.3L coolers. 99.9999% of the 7.3L coolers i have seen have the aluminum end tanks, i think only the first couple years that they put an IC in the 7.3's from the factory had plastic end tanks, personally i have never seen a 7.3 cooler with plastic tanks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to watch that pump I don't think they are known to keep the fuel flowing well for our rigs.

Ya I kinda have my eye on it, I did not have a lot of options...the biggest issue..NOT knowing that the other pump fit....

That's ok I am comfortable with it for short run, I'll have to get a Carrier ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.