I heard a member is stuffing a 6 where an 8 lived

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe a man can do things like that cheaper than "they" say if he's willing to do most or all the work himself and find teh best deals on parts, plus figure out what really has to be done versus what's being done just because you are "supposed to" I have to say you were some kinda lucky to find a good donor truck for 2700. It would be hard to get a gasoline 3/4 or one ton with 68K miles running around here for that...make it an IDI and its usually 5grand, for a Cummins at least 6K.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I have done a complete engine/transmission conversion, "complicated wiring" and all.

I may not know everything; and don't begin to claim to; but, I did do an engine swap in my truck and was not fool enough to let someone take me to the cleaners on the cost of my parts.

I bought an engine/transmission combo, out of a 68,000 mile wrecked Dodge, for a grand total of $2700, gave Randy at Reliable Diesel some over $200 for a set of mounts, and made a few brackets, swapped a yoke in a drive-shaft, and drove her down the road.

Nothing about the engine swap is second rate, every Ford factory gauge is functioning, the Ford Air-Conditioner is still ice-cold, the Ford alternator still keeps all the lights lit and charges the batteries, everything about the engine swap is better than the truck was new.

You are welcome to have a look under the hood and criticize my work, at any time.

As for paying for the "conversion", I counted the hundred dollar bills across the truck-flat to pay for the engine, and didn't borrow a cent.

SWEET, You gotta love finding a great deal and having the ability to get it done yourself for a fraction of the cost of what most guys are getting it done for ! ;Sweet Conrgrats!

BTW Does this look fimilar..?

Attachments

• 86 F350 c.JPG
    86 F350 c.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 86 f350 c motor1.JPG
    86 f350 c motor1.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 86 F350 C motor 2.JPG
    86 F350 C motor 2.JPG
    431.3 KB · Views: 40
  • SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 15

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must have been some collision. How'd the engine get turned sideways? LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that duct tape residue I see on the Cummins badge? ;Really LOL

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW Does this look fimilar..?

That looks like a school-bus engine.

With the turbo up top like that, where and how does the down-pipe exit ?? pictures ??

My alternator is over on the right-top side, in the same place the Dodge alternator would be.

My A/C is left-top, with the trailer vacuum-pump in front-center.

Both the A/C and vacuum-pump are V-belt driven, with the rest being serpentine.

Of course, the truck vacuum and power-steering are gear-driven on the left-bottom-rear of the timing cover.

Over beside the brake master-cylinder, what is that adjustable coil-resistor gizmo ?? electric trailer-brake shock-absorber, maybe ??

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
That looks like a school-bus engine.

With the turbo up top like that, where and how does the down-pipe exit ?? pictures ??

My alternator is over on the right-top side, in the same place the Dodge alternator would be.

My A/C is left-top, with the trailer vacuum-pump in front-center.

Both the A/C and vacuum-pump are V-belt driven, with the rest being serpentine.

Of course, the truck vacuum and power-steering are gear-driven on the left-bottom-rear of the timing cover.

Over beside the brake master-cylinder, what is that adjustable coil-resistor gizmo ?? electric trailer-brake shock-absorber, maybe ??

I will get some pics up tomorrow that show the DP. It curves off the turbo, then to the exhaust brake then sort of follows the firewall. It is a 3" system all the way back.

Sounds like the AC. ALt, PS and Vacume um are all the same setup, with the V-Belts and Serp beltsbeing the same also.

The resister I believe is for the trailor brakes lie you said. but I haven't looked at it that closley yet.

So did you have to move the trans back a cople of inches to make your Cummins fit? This one was moved back and it looks like I will have to do it to mine as well to clear the oil pan to crossmember.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you have to move the trans back a cople of inches to make your Cummins fit? This one was moved back and it looks like I will have to do it to mine as well to clear the oil pan to crossmember.

If you are putting a Cummins in an IDI model Ford, the best piece of advice that I can offer, and the one thing that will make the whole process go smooth as silk, is BUY the engine mounts from none other than Randy at Reliable Diesel of Mesa Arizona.

He makes/sells bull-stout mounts that will fit a Cummins into an 80-(whenever the Super-Duty started) model Ford truck like it was designed to be in there.

I removed the old 6.9, cleaned the frame and cross-member, installed Randy's mounts, and set the Cummins in there, ONE TIME, and didn't raise it again, it fit that good.

As to the transmission, I used the 5-speed Getrag, that was already attached to the Cummins.

I removed the existing transmission cross-member, moved it back ONE BOLT HOLE (put the front bolt-hole where the back bolt-hole was), made a simple adapter/mount to adapt the Ford transmission mount to fit the Getrag, made a drive-shaft section with a Dodge yoke at the transmission and the existing Ford yoke at the carrier-bearing, trimmed the shifter-hole back about 1-1/2 inches.

With some careful measuring and fore-thought, everything fit the first try and hasn't been messed with since.

That site tonkadoctor posted is a good place to get your questions answered.

rubberfish

Reaction score
plus figure out what really has to be done versus what's being done just because you are "supposed to"
That's a good point. :) If one was to leave the Cummins
they were transplanting stock, and had no intention of
bombing it, then perhaps a guy could save some money.

We could all argue about this for a long time,
but nobody will ever be able to convince me
that starting from scratch that one can do a
conversion for 2-3K. By the time drive shafts
are lengthened and shortened and re-balanced,
and the exhaust is done, and all the new fluids
and filters are done, and the intercooler is
purchased and installed, and the AC is recharged,
see how all this starts to add up. The list of little
**** can nickle and dime a job like this in a hurry.

And MIDNIGHT RIDER, I'm not knocking you or your truck.
I never meant to sound like I was directly attacking anyone.
And I most certainly was not trying to imply that you had
done a hack job on your conversion. As for seeing pics?
I'd love to see how it fit and looks. :thumbsup: Who wouldn't? :)

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Here's a good place you can do a lot of reading up on the conversions.

Thanks! Lots of info there!

If you are putting a Cummins in an IDI model Ford, the best piece of advice that I can offer, and the one thing that will make the whole process go smooth as silk, is BUY the engine mounts from none other than Randy at Reliable Diesel of Mesa Arizona.

I am pretty shure that they are the ones that did the conversion on this truck! I will look into it more tomorrow but Ithink that is what the prevout owner said. That would be cool I would allready have the mounts.
Do you know if they do the complete conversions?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty shure that they are the ones that did the conversion on this truck! I will look into it more tomorrow but Ithink that is what the prevout owner said. That would be cool I would allready have the mounts.
Do you know if they do the complete conversions?

Surely you aren't gonna take the Cummins out of that nice four-door Ford, are you ??

Everyone around here is looking for a four-door Ford like that to drop a Cummins engine into.

Randy used to do conversions in Fords; but, I don't know if he still does.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Surely you aren't gonna take the Cummins out of that nice four-door Ford, are you ??

Everyone around here is looking for a four-door Ford like that to drop a Cummins engine into.

Randy used to do conversions in Fords; but, I don't know if he still does.

Yup that is the plan, It is going in my truck.

Here are a few more pics of the motor. the DP is kinda hard to see but you can see the exhaust brake.

Attachments

• DP 1.JPG
    DP 1.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 12
  • di2.JPG
    di2.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 15
  • dp3.JPG
    dp3.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 8
  • dp4.JPG
    dp4.JPG