ISO a guy that could help me time my 93 non turbo.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy...'back in the '80's...that had put a Ford 427 medium-riser in a '68 Mustang (originally a 6-cylinder car...you could tell because it still had four-lug front wheels...)..
"He must have had to change out the shock towers to get it to fit."

You might be thinking about the '64 1/2 -to-'66 Mustang...on those, yes...you would have to at least 'notch' the shock towers and relocate the two upper braces...

But on the '67-'70 Mustangs and Cougars you could get a T-Bird FE engine from the Factory...and the heads on those engines have roughly the same external architecture....rough on having to change the plugs...(spark plugs)...but it will go in there...tight as heck, though...don't even ask about tightening header bolts...
But like my 86 bronco has primitive electronic fuel injection,
"That's funny. Mine still had a carb."

During that time...when Ford finally had a working ECM...hard to predict what you could get...they probably had to ramp up TBI to get it out there and see if any bugs would develop...

I measured the room you could get from installing a 'Shock Tower Notching Kit' from a Ford enthusiast place...it was about 29 inches across...

I measured a Fox-body engine room....roughly the same...

Neither car had a working cupholder....

Black dawg

Reaction score
Never understood the dislike for tbi, very simple.....so much better than a carburetor in almost every single way, and was not lacking anything in comparison to fords port fuel injection .

Not directed at anybody here, but I here guys all the time commenting negatively on tbi stuff one minute, and then bragging up thier new "self tuning" fuel injection the next.....cracks me up...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBI is the equivalent to ziptieing a fuel injector to the threaded stock on top of a carburetor, and looks like something a drunk redneck came up with. EFI looks like something someone thought about for a minute.........just saying.......
"Hey Y'all....hold my beer and watch this...."

I really like your perspective and the way you can break things down to their essentials and explain it to us....sometimes...really most times...you crack me up...because the funniest things in life are the ones that have an element of truth in them...

I wish that I had your vision....

By the way....between The Girl and I...we have a good collection of zip ties...Need any..? I'll send you some...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was not lacking anything in comparison to fords port fuel injection .
I get what you are saying...but I can't help but wonder how TBI would be better than port injection when it comes to even distibution of the fuel...?

With TBI you are still dependant on the intake manifold design to get the atomized fuel to the cylinder without having uneven distribution concerns...some cylinders would run rich and others would run lean...

Just a result of having to centrally locate the injectors and manifold runner lengths and contours...

I welcome any aspect of this that I am not seeing...always up for learning...and I am impressed with what you have to say here...

You are a sharp cookie...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Hey Y'all....hold my beer and watch this...."

I really like your perspective and the way you can break things down to their essentials and explain it to us....sometimes...really most times...you crack me up...because the funniest things in life are the ones that have an element of truth in them...

I wish that I had your vision....

By the way....between The Girl and I...we have a good collection of zip ties...Need any..? I'll send you some...
I promised I wouldn't mention the Chevy 2.8 going dead on a hard left turn, so I'm not.

As far as zipties, believe it or not, there's a ziptie factory IN CRESTVIEW!!! I worked there for a year about 4yrs ago when I got tired of remodeling in our wonky economy. If you look next to the head of the ziptie there's a couple letters and a number. The number is cavity # for the mold, but the letters are the company's initials. If you have zipties that sa "BS" that's "bay state" which is what the place was called 10yrs ago, when I was there it was "American Elite Molding", but yeah I got tons of zipties. We sold ties to 3M, OTR, utilitech, and all sorts of other companies. They're all the same ties with a different sticker on the pack.

Thanks for the offer though.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never understood the dislike for tbi, very simple.....so much better than a carburetor in almost every single way, and was not lacking anything in comparison to fords port fuel injection .

Not directed at anybody here, but I here guys all the time commenting negatively on tbi stuff one minute, and then bragging up thier new "self tuning" fuel injection the next.....cracks me up...

I get what you are saying...but I can't help but wonder how TBI would be better than port injection when it comes to even distibution of the fuel...?

With TBI you are still dependant on the intake manifold design to get the atomized fuel to the cylinder without having uneven distribution concerns...some cylinders would run rich and others would run lean...

Just a result of having to centrally locate the injectors and manifold runner lengths and contours...

I welcome any aspect of this that I am not seeing...always up for learning...and I am impressed with what you have to say here...

Weeeelllllllllllll, let me just step in and *** on everybody's corn flakes and bring balance to all this.

I'm with @XOLATEM on the TBI stuff, it really is a glorified carburetor. But what about my 86 EFI?, It's "batch fired", that means like 4 injectors fire at the same time...........if Chevy engineers were drunk rednecks.......ford engineers were on hallucinagenics! How can that atomize correctly? But hey, they both work, so who cares?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a ziptie factory IN CRESTVIEW!!!
Now yer gonna make me check all of our zip ties for those digits...

I was gonna 'sniff' that you had refused my offer...like our zip ties are not good enuf for ya...but...I thought better of it...you just saved me some time and postage...JK...

Still....I feel like I should offer you something...anything you could want from Virginia..?

Potential cupholder assembly material...?

What were we talking about...anyway...??

Oh, yeah...can anyone help out the guy who wants to time his engine...?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now yer gonna make me check all of our zip ties for those digits...

I was gonna 'sniff' that you had refused my offer...like our zip ties are not good enuf for ya...but...I thought better of it...you just saved me some time and postage...JK...

Still....I feel like I should offer you something...anything you could want from Virginia..?

Potential cupholder assembly material...?

What were we talking about...anyway...??

Oh, yeah...can anyone help out the guy who wants to time his engine...?
Yeah, yeah, engine timing, I'm still game. I just checked, he hasn't logged in since he started the thread, so by default it's ours now.

Let's see, what's in Virginia that I want......hmmm......how bout..... Monticello? Yeah, I'd take Monticello.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look next to the head of the ziptie there's a couple letters and a number. The number is cavity # for the mold, but the letters are the company's initials.
K51 .... 166U TCA....G550....14....G144...199U TCA....63 ACT...V....G570...G510..

Zip tie [email protected] it all mean...?

Just like when you start to learn welding...you look at all sorts of welds...

Now I am not going to be able to use a zip tie without checking out the digits, first...

Lord...why me...?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's see, what's in Virginia that I want......hmmm......how bout..... Monticello? Yeah, I'd take Monticello.
Do you mean to uproot Monticello and take it back to Florida..?

It would not survive the operation...

If you mean to take control of Monticello and leave it where it is and visit it some times...? That would cost a lot in property taxes...

I think you guys in FLA. don't pay any property taxes...right..?

It is like a lot of things...not so much the initial outlay...but the maintenance would be the problem...

You are probably used to being only a couple of hundred feet above sea level...

You might get short of breath up in 'em mountains...

Black dawg

Reaction score

Maybe we should start a new thread......in a.......gasser section.....?...

There for sure are times such as cold or very cold engine operation, before up to temp, that fuel distribution is poor with tbi. Comes down to intake and port layout, distance for mixture to travel from tbi. I think as soon as that intake starts warming up it probably has pretty close to equal mixture cyl to cyl. Port fuel injection even if only batch fired seems much better about this.

As far as proving that the tbi setups have poor mix distribution when cold......most all of them if you pay attention, on a cold start( meaning sub 20 degrees or so) you will hear them run funny for a little bit, run just like a carb that the choke pull off isnt quite far enough. Problem with leaning them up during this, (and is possible to do without tuning by lowering the fuel psi) is that you get some lean stumbles if you try to drive one dead cold.

As far as troubles tbi vs port (chevy vs ford...) I seen as many bad ignition modules with either one, pickup coils too.... One thing that really stands out to me, is that something about the older efi fords, is that dirty injectors were abbig problem with them as well as far dirtier intake ports and valves. Have a ford in here today that sat for a couple months with a bad fuel pump, and now acts like the injectors are gummed up to the point fuel wont flow through them. Truck does a lot of sitting, so stale fuel and all that, but i have yet to see a tbi injector do this. Have seen it several times with the older port injected fords.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should start a new thread......in a.......gasser section.....?...

There for sure are times such as cold or very cold engine operation, before up to temp, that fuel distribution is poor with tbi. Comes down to intake and port layout, distance for mixture to travel from tbi. I think as soon as that intake starts warming up it probably has pretty close to equal mixture cyl to cyl. Port fuel injection even if only batch fired seems much better about this.

As far as proving that the tbi setups have poor mix distribution when cold......most all of them if you pay attention, on a cold start( meaning sub 20 degrees or so) you will hear them run funny for a little bit, run just like a carb that the choke pull off isnt quite far enough. Problem with leaning them up during this, (and is possible to do without tuning by lowering the fuel psi) is that you get some lean stumbles if you try to drive one dead cold.

As far as troubles tbi vs port (chevy vs ford...) I seen as many bad ignition modules with either one, pickup coils too.... One thing that really stands out to me, is that something about the older efi fords, is that dirty injectors were abbig problem with them as well as far dirtier intake ports and valves. Have a ford in here today that sat for a couple months with a bad fuel pump, and now acts like the injectors are gummed up to the point fuel wont flow through them. Truck does a lot of sitting, so stale fuel and all that, but i have yet to see a tbi injector do this. Have seen it several times with the older port injected fords.
Yeah, everything has problems, fords look better though.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K51 .... 166U TCA....G550....14....G144...199U TCA....63 ACT...V....G570...G510..

Zip tie [email protected] it all mean...?

Just like when you start to learn welding...you look at all sorts of welds...

Now I am not going to be able to use a zip tie without checking out the digits, first...

Lord...why me...?
Different factory initials, and cavity numbers in the injection mold. If you find any that say "BS" that's made here in Crestview.

Attachments

• IMG_20231219_144506.jpg
    IMG_20231219_144506.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231219_144434.jpg
    IMG_20231219_144434.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86