ISO a guy that could help me time my 93 non turbo.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just recently acquired another toolbox, now it's a matter of harnessing some organizational skills in where everything's going to go so I don't have to open a slew of drawers before I find what I'm looking for.
If you get enough tools, true organization is impossible.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I’m about to spend 1,300 dollars or more on my fuel system I want to complete the job right! I do not want to do the timing by ear. This isn’t the small block Chevy that’s in your grandpa’s sister’s cousin’s square body.

YEAH...WHAT HE SAID...!!!

So....I get what all of you guys are sayin'...and some of you have good points...and it is good to hear all of the prior experiences and current opinions...believe me...I am grateful for all of this collected wisdom...

But...one thing that some of you might be missing is that this guy has made up his mind that he wants it done a certain way and nothing is going to dissuade him from doing it this way, this time....

After fixing up his truck and timing it just right...come hell or high water...he will decide...in retrospect...if it was all worth it or not...

I have to admit...when I worked at the equipment dealer...there was a couple of old, (actually...they were younger than me, but they had been working at that place and on that type of equipment much longer than me...) and generally well-respected guys with a good amount of diesel experience say that they would 'just time it by ear' and immediately I lost...just a little bit....of respect for them...

There is a factory-recommended spec for most everything...and usually a good reason for it...even if it is only to keep the thing from failing before some reasonable warranty period...

We exceed factory specs all of the time...but we usually realize that there is no free lunch...more power costs money...and reliability just may suffer...if you push it too far...

So...@turbo_h8ter...more power to you...I hope you can get your engine timed by instrument after you get it all fixed up the way you want...I am rooting for you...so far...@jesus freak seems to be your best bet...

Good luck and happy wrenching...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called one diesel shop and asked them “hey guys, I’m replacing my injection pump and injectors on my 1993 f250 with the 7.3 idi. I’m going to need the timing set after I do this. Can you guys do it?”

They responded “Those engines don’t need to be timed you just put it where it was.”
In my opinion as a former shop owner the potential customer had a valid question and he was given an extremely ignorant response...

First off...the engine could have been monkeyed with before...and who knows where it was set before the owner got it...so...'just putting it where it was'...sounds .....like someone is not really worried about doing a good job...

Secondly...the shop just lost all of the future work and customer good will that could have been generated...

Just my .02

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM I do agree with the doing it by spec on almost everything, with the exception of timing an engine.

I have very little experience with setting timing on an injection pump. I would like to get a timing meter just to check mine but I am fairly sure that it is very close.

With setting the timing on a gas engine I will set it to factory specs after the distributor has been installed. I almost always end up re timing it by ear after driving it for a few days and can normally get it to a point that it starts easier and in general just runs better.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With setting the timing on a gas engine I will set it to factory specs after the distributor has been installed. I almost always end up re timing it by ear after driving it for a few days and can normally get it to a point that it starts easier and in general just runs better.
You know...you are right on that for a number of reasons...most of which involve better driveability...and long after any factory warranty has expired...and if you are not worried about having to pass some kind of emissions check...

It has been a long time since I put a distributor in anything...I hope to get back to it next year or so...but you reminded me that I would do the same thing...with my gas engines...ever since I ever fooled with timing...

I had a buddy...'back in the '80's...that had put a Ford 427 medium-riser in a '68 Mustang (originally a 6-cylinder car...you could tell because it still had four-lug front wheels...)...and he said he 'timed it by turning the distributor until the engine was almost running backwards'...and then 'turned it back so it would run like a r-a-p-e-d a-p-e....'

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM I do agree with the doing it by spec on almost everything, with the exception of timing an engine.

I have very little experience with setting timing on an injection pump. I would like to get a timing meter just to check mine but I am fairly sure that it is very close.

James

You know...you are right on that for a number of reasons...most of which involve better driveability...and long after any factory warranty has expired...and if you are not worried about having to pass some kind of emissions check...

It has been a long time since I put a distributor in anything...I hope to get back to it next year or so...but you reminded me that I would do the same thing...with my gas engines...ever since I ever fooled with timing...

I had a buddy...'back in the '80's...that had put a Ford 427 medium-riser in a '68 Mustang (originally a 6-cylinder car...you could tell because it still had four-lug front wheels...)...and he said he 'timed it by turning the distributor until the engine was almost running backwards'...and then 'turned it back so it would run like a r-a-p-e-d a-p-e....'
I'm with both of you, especially on the it really comes down to the individual.

But like my 86 bronco has primitive electronic fuel injection, it electronically shoots gas and adjust timing based on some really simple sensors and a PCM doing some quick math, so it's pretty important to have it "right".

Then there's "mechanical fuel injection", you can set it, but there's so many factors. (And really I guess I'm coming from the alternative fuels position) The viscosity of the fuel, which is affected by temp, changes your timing. If I started running straight diesel for 3 days and checked my timing it would say one thing and another after I went back to WMO, it's really fasinating.......... kinda like dealing with a woman at different times of the month. And if you have a vacuum advance on a gasser, your timing will be different if you're driving in the mountains as compared to the desert.

But really like @XOLATEM says ole boy has his heart set on timing it with a device. I might not be the "best" choice, but I'm available.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had a buddy...'back in the '80's...that had put a Ford 427 medium-riser in a '68 Mustang (originally a 6-cylinder car...you could tell because it still had four-lug front wheels...)..
He must have had to change out the shock towers to get it to fit.
But like my 86 bronco has primitive electronic fuel injection,
That's funny. Mine still had a carb.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny. I had a guy who I feel is a good source of Ford information tell me that the trucks (small block engine) went to EFI in 85, but the Broncos didn't until 87. Maybe it was an option?
I have 2 86s, the red and white, as well as the blue parts bronco. They both have EFI badges and the ones I see online all have EFI. I'm not an authority though.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He must have had to change out the shock towers to get it to fit.

That's funny. Mine still had a carb.
My understanding is that in 85, trucks and Broncos could be ordered with a carb’d or EFI small block, with EFI being standard on trucks, and carb being standard on Broncos, with both optional for either. I have no idea why that is, but it seems to be the case

Black dawg

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with wanting to use a meter for timing, especially with all new parts that should be callibrated correctly.

But i do agree on timing (meaning set timing to this number or else...)not being nearly as critical as it has been made out to be. There is a fairly large range that they will run acceptably, with small differences in driveability or smoke. Anybody who has been around one for any time at all should be able to get one in that window pretty easily.

I personally like 8.5 or a little less for na engines, and down around 5 for turbo stuff. Mine right now is about 3 degrees.