Help on timing with a snap on mt1480

Chumwon91

Reaction score
Hello everyone, after years I finally managed to come across a timing light for the old diesels at an auction and was pumped to get it! Seems very complete and for $35 I'm more than happy and worth the risk that it still works. After studying the instructions I finally tried it yesterday on the ole 7.3 and it worked!

My questions about it though is
1. There's 2 holes in the timing ticker on the harmonic balancer. I used the taller one closer to the center of the motor. Is that the correct one?
2. What rpm do I check at? I did 2000 on my practice run but I've seen people say 1800 and 1400 aswell.
3. What number am I shooting for? I've seen .5-1.5 and I've also seen 5-7?

I know the luminosity isn't the most desired way but it's what I got to work with unfortunately. In my practice run at 2000rpm I got -.5 are negative numbers what I'm going for since it's atdc instead of btdc?

I do greatly appreciate any of your guys input. It's been years I've wanted to check the timing and am excited to do so! Thanks a ton in advance everyone!!

PS. I had to make a new account because I forgot my password an my email was being a pain!!!lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the degree specs are different for the lumi method that the pulse/timing light method so I can't comment there. It's set at 2000RPM for the pulse method, but I don't know about the lumi method. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has info that should help steer you in the right direction.

Chumwon91

Reaction score
Thank you much sir, that thread answered most everything. Now I'm guessing since I see nothing mentioning negative numbers that I'm looking for positive numbers.

Chumwon91

Reaction score
I stand corrected, it's definitely negative numbers. Didn't like 5 but it's at -6 and much better power up top. Might slightly tweak it down the road but I'll test performance and fuel economy for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86