Hypermax turbo installed!

RobOnBusiness

Reaction score
I originally posted an inquiry Dec.15/07 asking for input/advice on turboing an International 3 ton truck having a n/a 7.3 with Allison trans. I got polite replies from helpfuls "towcat and "Diesel JD" steering me toward Hypermax's kit tailored to the S-series truck I have. Shortly after that, I got on the horn with Hypermax, read their info, ordered the kit, and installed it. Everything worked out well, and I can FINALLY keep up with traffic! I haven't got the boost or pyro gauges in yet (I want to make sure I'm not overfueled!) but will get on that once I'm over the worst of my new leg injury.
I must say I'm impressed with the quality of the parts supplied, and everything fit properly (even though the trans sports a PTO right where the 2 pipes pass by the R/S trans mount) except a minor adjustment on the turbo exhaust pipe mount bracket, because of the PTO. I turned the fuel up a half turn, or 3 flats of the screw, just shy of the max 4 flats offered in the instructions. So, many thanks to towcat and Diesel JD for the help, and I'll post the boost and pyro numbers once I get the kits installed.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would get those gauges in there as soon as you can possibly can. I turned my pump up 1/4 turn when we did my turbo install, and I can hit 1100 degrees fairly easily. Granted I wont have as much boost as you, but still you have your pump turned almost twice as much as mine is (though my pump felt like it maxed out, I dont know a moose pump will go on here shortly). Isnt it nice to have a turbo diesel ;Sweet.

RobOnBusiness

Reaction score
Hot gas!

Thanks Justin - I'll be careful til I get those gauges in. A question - I was wondering how restrictive the muffler I installed from the kit is - it is a conventional round truck muffler with a redirecting baffle in the middle. The inlet and outlet pipes are not offset. I know that the turbo performance relies on the absence of backpressure behind the turbo, and I noticed you run a straight through setup. I asked Hypermax the same question and am awaiting a reply. What's the noise level like? And YES! It's sure nice to drive a turbo (no comparison!)!!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
These trucks (turbocharged) without a muffler are quieter than most big rigs with mufflers. Im going to be running a straight through 4" exhaust in my truck as well. The whistle will be loud as all get out, but the cackle should be a minimum with that size pipe. Listen to Justins truck, he has videos on you tube. Just type in his user name, its the same there as here.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! You have NO IDEA how spoiled you are doing that install in an S series instead of a pickup. Of course, if you read over my install article then you see what the rest of us go through. :rolleyes: