farm diesel and used motor oil make fuel???????

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be a good time to inject a couple of good rules to follow in life.

First, if you're going to walk on the line that divides what's legal and what's illegal, it's best to keep your head and butt down. You're much less likely to be cought on the wrong side of that line if the man doesn't know you're there.

Second, know your rights. They vari from state to state. In Indiana, anything that is locked can not be searched without either A. My permission (which no one gets), or B. A warrent. The warrent takes a while to obtain, and they can only detain me for so long (about 20 min) before I can claim unlawfull detainment.

Persoally, I stay far enough from the line that I don't generally have to worry about anything. Having said that, I'll soon be running WVO. It's far cheaper than off road diesel :) As a private citizen, I have no obligation to keep track of reciepts, quantities, millage or any other form of evidence that could be used against me. If I owned a buisness, and was doing this with my buisness vehicles, that would be a whole other story.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Very solid words of wisdom. People, including me, would be wise to follow this. I see stickers all the time saying "Powered by Bio-diesel" or "Powered by vegetable oil". I think they are morons for putting those stickers on their vehicle. These mush heads(as I call them) are trying to outdo each other showing how green they are. In light of the previous post, it would seem to me that the sticker is probable cause for a search(dipping the tank). I guess the first item on my list would be a locking gas cap.

cornbinder 84

Goat Rancher
Reaction score
The off-road diesel here is still greater than 500ppm sulfur and has a sticker on the pump that says it. On road is less than 50 ppm sulfur if I remember correctly. I run on-road in my truck with Lucas fuel additive and off-road in my farm equipment. I still run the additive though.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Anyone make a sticker "Powered by Dead Dinos" or "Powered By Fossile fuels"?

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I saw a sticker on a school bus in washington DC that said "this bus is powered by clean burning Ultra low sulfur diesel". Really? So is every single OTR truck out there

dieselfollower

Reaction score
I may get a dead thread revival ticket, but I am very intrigued to know if the majority of state laws regarding running waste motor oils have remained the same or have been altered for better or worse?

I have a big question; can you pay road tax on dyed fuel and be legal? I only ask this because there are times I am offered gas/diesel mix from off road equipment.

Also, in NC I havent been able to find out if a blenders license is required to run waste motor oil, or if I can simply pay road tax via the GAS-1260 form.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically, running any type of fuel on the road without paying tax is not legal. You have all the tree huggers out there with their mercedes diesels and their little blurbs in the news about how they are using french fry grease to power their vehicle, and they technically are breaking the law.

I suppose people running alternative fuels are hard to catch, since enforcement would have to build a case to prove they were running illegal fuel. But they have a proven test for the dyed fuel, so if there test comes up positive for dyed fuel, that will hold up in court.

Zephyr

Reaction score
I may get a dead thread revival ticket, but I am very intrigued to know if the majority of state laws regarding running waste motor oils have remained the same or have been altered for better or worse?

I have a big question; can you pay road tax on dyed fuel and be legal? I only ask this because there are times I am offered gas/diesel mix from off road equipment.

Also, in NC I havent been able to find out if a blenders license is required to run waste motor oil, or if I can simply pay road tax via the GAS-1260 form.

A friend accidently put dyed diesel in his truck while we were on a trip to SD. He asked the counter attendant about it. He paid an additional charge, was given a receipt for the highway tax, and was told to keep it in possession while running the next few tanks of diesel. Legally I don't know how that would hold up, but the effort was made to comply with the law. I would assume a first offender might be given some leniency with that "proof".

dieselfollower

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies y'all. I have everything I need to start running WMO, but I want to pay road tax on it.

I printed off the GAS-1260 form (the form where you pay tax on the X gallons of untaxed fuel used), but I don't want to fill it out and send it in if I have to have a blenders license first.

I ask about paying road tax on dyed fuel because I could use the "unuseable" gas/diesel mix I'm sometimes offered for thinning. It would ease my mind if I could pay tax on the red tinted gas.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It supposedly goes in the pot to pay for road maintenance. I still remember when all the hybrids first came out, a couple of states up north (New Hampshire, Vermont?) were going to start taxing hybrid owners a extra tax since they were not paying their fair share of road taxes.

What will the government do if we ever get rid of fossil fuels? If we did all go to electric cars and trucks, where are they going to get all the tax money? It's interesting to think about. Since they never seemed to be worried about it, that seems to allude to the fact they never really thought that electric or any other alternative fuels would ever take off enough to affect their revenue.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not personally had my tanks dipped, but I have seen pickup tanks dipped, even a couple times sitting at the pump, as the station I use has an on-road and off-road pump right next to each other......

I also personally knew (yes past tense, now) someone that had a farm hand fill EVERY diesel vehicle with OFF-ROAD diesel. A semi-tractor was dipped for some reason, and popped for red diesel. Excise Police went back to the farm, and dipped EVERY vehicle with a plate. He was hit wit a $10,000 PER VEHICLE FINE for the red diesel. I know that in Indiana, where I am, it's tax evasion, so that is how the fine is charged. He received over a $100,000 dollar fine, because of a new, young farm hand's mistake. Unfortunately, they lost EVERYTHING, since it was liquidated to pay the fine.....

My personal opinion, a few cents a gallon difference isn't worth it. I can buy A LOT of on-road diesel for 10 grand....

Also, one thing to keep in mind with the red dye. It is not only a color dye, it is also a very specific chemical composition. So even if you "muddy the waters" with WMO, the chemical is still present. So just because it isn't red anymore, doesn't mean they can't tell. The dye is also added in a concentration that it takes a 20 times dilution to make it undetectable. What that means is, one full tank of red diesel, takes 20 tanks of "clean" diesel to make it undetectable. Depending on how much you drive your truck, it could take YEARS for all the red to be gone and undetectable.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, one thing to keep in mind with the red dye. It is not only a color dye, it is also a very specific chemical composition. So even if you "muddy the waters" with WMO, the chemical is still present. So just because it isn't red anymore, doesn't mean they can't tell. The dye is also added in a concentration that it takes a 20 times dilution to make it undetectable. What that means is, one full tank of red diesel, takes 20 tanks of "clean" diesel to make it undetectable. Depending on how much you drive your truck, it could take YEARS for all the red to be gone and undetectable.
Uh, no, that's not what 20x dilution means: If I filled up a tank with red dye, then added 20x that much green /to the top of the red/, that would be 20x dilution(around 5%).

If you have a tank full of red dye(lets say 20 gals), run it out(lets say 1 gal left), then fill it up with green... It's right down to that 5% and perhaps undetectable. Perhaps not though.
Now, if you take that tank and run it out(down to 1 gal), and fill with green, you now have 0.25% red dye fuel in there... That's not going to be detected, if it was only detectable at a 20x dilution in the first place.

I'm not suggesting you *should* do this... I'm just arguing math.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see stickers all the time saying "Powered by Bio-diesel" or "Powered by vegetable oil".
In light of the previous post, it would seem to me that the sticker is probable cause for a search(dipping the tank).

I can tell by the smell if you're running veggie oil. No sticker needed.