farm diesel and used motor oil make fuel???????

dieselfollower

Reaction score
I contacted the NC Dep. of Rev today to inquire exactly what was needed to #legally# run waste petroleum oil. In NC, a blenders license is required. You can't just fill out the 1260 form and pay tax on the fuel.

The GAS-1262 form is what the lady I spoke with said I needed to fill out (pages 5,6,7....& Q's 76-82 on pg 12, if anyone in NC has any interest). I printed the form and completed the required pages and am going to fax it in.

I also asked if oil containing dyed fuel could be made legal by paying road tax on it via form 1260 (treating it like the oil) and she said NO.

For what its worth anyway, those running vegetable oil/ biodiesel don't have to do ANY of this. They are tax exempt.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth anyway, those running vegetable oil/ biodiesel don't have to do ANY of this. They are tax exempt.

Not necessarily. I run WVO in California, and I had to fill out a "personal use" form to transport it.

Interesting backstory: Apparently 6 years ago, some ****** tried hauling 6 barrels of WVO on a CA highway, and got into a wreck. His oil spilled all over the highway, causing a massive traffic jam. While it's not hazardous waste (it was literally just in a fryer), it does make things slippery. It took a long time for the authorities to clean it up, so now we have to file with the state for transporting a mere 5 gallons of veggie oil. Sad really.

Back to the point of the post, if I was doing this for a company, or planned to sell the oil I filtered, then I'd have to pay tax on it. There is a chart on the California S.O.S. website to calculate the tax required. The staff at the govt agency even said if I "gave away" the oil, I'd still have to pay tax on it, but if I use if for purely non-commercial use in my own vehicle, then I don't have to pay.

So for small personal use, you are right, they are exempt.