farm diesel and used motor oil make fuel???????

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
someone told me today how to make my own fuel out of farm diesel and used motor oil. supposed to mix it 50-50 an filter it twice threw a certain filters. i was curious if anyone heard of doing this???? THANKS!!!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
farm diesel is dyed and so it has no road taxes paid on it. If caught you will be fined for what they think you might have used on the road. Which from what I have been told can be quite pricey but I have never met anyone face to face that has been dipped or checked for use of off road diesel. So there is effectively no difference between off road diesel and on road diesel other than I think the off road stuff is still a high sulfur fuel which our IDI's were designed to run on.

Now for mixing in used motor oil - not a problem - just filter it and enjoy. Just make sure that it doesn't have water in it and you'll do fine. Some say that it cokes up the injectors but I did not see that happen in my 5.9 Cummins adn trust me I ran tons of it through it along with tons of used cooking oil (veggie oil) and all I ever did with used motor oil was just filter it before putting it in the tank - now for the used cooking oil - I dewatered it first by bringing it up to temp to boil off water adn then filtered it. I'm actually doing the same thing on this IDI and not looking back.

I will tell you when you break over about 30% oil ratio that the motor will actually quite down some (the diesel rattle subsides) it's kinda amazing when you drive up to the diesel pump and have it running while you are filling and get the ratio down and the engine just all of a sudden starts making it's normal rattleling sound....

But you'll do just fine with what you are doing as long as the feds don't catch the dyed fuel - they couldn't care two flips less about the used motor oil...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't think that will remove or hide the red die in the farm diesel but... If it does post whats working.... Plenty here would love to run untaxed fuel on the roads...:sly

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
farm diesel is dyed and so it has no road taxes paid on it. If caught you will be fined for what they think you might have used on the road. Which from what I have been told can be quite pricey but I have never met anyone face to face that has been dipped or checked for use of off road diesel. So there is effectively no difference between off road diesel and on road diesel other than I think the off road stuff is still a high sulfur fuel which our IDI's were designed to run on.

Now for mixing in used motor oil - not a problem - just filter it and enjoy. Just make sure that it doesn't have water in it and you'll do fine. Some say that it cokes up the injectors but I did not see that happen in my 5.9 Cummins adn trust me I ran tons of it through it along with tons of used cooking oil (veggie oil) and all I ever did with used motor oil was just filter it before putting it in the tank - now for the used cooking oil - I dewatered it first by bringing it up to temp to boil off water adn then filtered it. I'm actually doing the same thing on this IDI and not looking back.

I will tell you when you break over about 30% oil ratio that the motor will actually quite down some (the diesel rattle subsides) it's kinda amazing when you drive up to the diesel pump and have it running while you are filling and get the ratio down and the engine just all of a sudden starts making it's normal rattleling sound....

But you'll do just fine with what you are doing as long as the feds don't catch the dyed fuel - they couldn't care two flips less about the used motor oil...

im hoping the oil will cover up the dye:thumbsup: a buddy of mines running it in his psd and its doing great. changing my oil this week in all of my vehicles LOL will it matter mixing diesel motor oil and gasoline motor oil?? :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the gasser engine oil is going to be better fuel. Personally I'd stick to running waste motor oil or actually look into biodiesel or used cooking oil. The farm fuel is untaxed and if they catch you I hear that a first offense can get a fine of 10,000 dollars per occurence so 20,000 for your dual tank truck. Not worth it. Then again, never have heard of any pickup truck being tested. I have heard some say they would not allow them to dip tanks without a search warrant. I don't know what the DOT would say to that. Probably get violent. I think you should pay your road taxes though, the road upkeep is not free. I do pay state taxes on my biodiesel and looked into it with the IRS but at the time they told me don't worry about it as long as I wasn't selling it. It looked like you could only pay it on ASTM spec fuel which mine is not(at least not officially). I wasn't going to try harder to pay the tax, most all of my driving is on state and county maintained roads anyway so the impacted agencies are getting my portion of the tax.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh they care alright. Can they do anything about it? They probably wish they could. And in reality you are using public roads without paying the tax that they use for upkeep.

Now you can get into a big political argument here, but the fact remains the taxes for road upkeep do come from somewhere.

I am surprised they haven't nailed one of those guys on TV that say "look, I am using french fry oil to run my car!" Technically you can only run a very low precentage of non-taxed fuel in a road going automobile.

I remember reading somewhere that some states in the Northeast were going to put a heavier tax on anyone who was using a hybrid vehicle, since they did not use as much fuel, and they were not paying their fair share. I haven't heard about it lately, so it must have been squashed pretty quickly. But if you think about it, if we do ever get rid of gasoline and diesel fuel, they are going to have to get their taxes from somewhere. I remember seeing one of those cars that ran on air. I guess if they went to that, they will have to tax the air or something.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the fairest way to do it is to eliminate all taxes on all fuels right now and charge people by the vehicle weight and mileage per year, which can be paid monthly, quarterly or all at once. I HATE paying taxes but if I'm honest, I was stealing use of the road for the first couple years when I got into biodiesel and it really didn't sit well with my conscience. It is a fair tax because you use the road you pay, you don't use it, you don't pay. They make it hard to do the right thing though for BD and other alternative fuels people. I worried I might get into more trouble for reporting what I was doing than just to keep on doing it on the sly.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
In this state, it's hard enough for them to get people to buy tags and insurance. Any guilt I might feel from using homemade bio disappears quickly when I hit the thousands of potholes I drive over every day. I know, it's probably the missing tax revenue from MY fuel that would give them enough $ to fix the road, but more likely it would end up paying for some bureaucrat's new car or something. It sure ain't going to the roads.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this state, it's hard enough for them to get people to buy tags and insurance. Any guilt I might feel from using homemade bio disappears quickly when I hit the thousands of potholes I drive over every day. I know, it's probably the missing tax revenue from MY fuel that would give them enough $ to fix the road, but more likely it would end up paying for some bureaucrat's new car or something. It sure ain't going to the roads.

Point well noted. Alachua County isn't much better. I'm not saying you should feel guilty about it. The government usually wastes tax revenue and is known for not being good at much of anything besides creating regulations and red tape. If our government was better with what we are forced to entrust them, then maybe they'd have better tax compliance.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You do not want to mess with those boys . We have a livestock auction here in town and they setup on one of the roads leading in or out of town on a regular basis to catch all the farm trucks hauling stock trailers in or out running on dyed fuel .

DragRag

Reaction score
I think the fairest way to do it is to eliminate all taxes on all fuels right now and charge people by the vehicle weight and mileage per year, which can be paid monthly, quarterly or all at once. I HATE paying taxes but if I'm honest, I was stealing use of the road for the first couple years when I got into biodiesel and it really didn't sit well with my conscience. It is a fair tax because you use the road you pay, you don't use it, you don't pay. They make it hard to do the right thing though for BD and other alternative fuels people. I worried I might get into more trouble for reporting what I was doing than just to keep on doing it on the sly.

That's exactly what happens in Cali. My weight fees on my trucks range from $150, up to $1000 depending on the truck. Then on top of it we get hit with 68 cents per gallon or so in fuel tax. Not saying I am doing it, but half red, and black oil makes black diesel. Been there seen that. Like the moon shiners say F the revenuers. I am tired of paying tax on top of tax, on top of more tax. But I love sunshine, and business so I stay here in the place called Kalifornia.

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Personaly all guilt that I would feel was wiped clear when I was 12 and had a cop tell me that he could have me arrested for driving my quad on the road when I was on private property filling it up with taxed fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what happens in Cali. My wight fees on my trucks range from $150, up to $1000 depending on the truck. Then on top of it we get hit with 68 cents per gallon or so in fuel tax. Not saying I am doing it, but half red, and black oil makes black diesel. been there seen that. Like the moon shiners say F the revenuers. I am tired of paying tax on top of tax, on top of more tax. But I love sunshine, and business so I stay here in the place called Kalifornia.

It's not fair when they leave the fuel taxes in ADDITION to the weight/mileage fees. Somebody has to throw the current crop of politicians out and put people in whoa aren't addicted to power and spending.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what I know about the fuel checkpoints....
they do not need request to dip your tanks if you do not have locking caps.
you can deny them access if you have locking caps but your plates are recorded and they will be by later with a search warrant.
you can hide the red dye component by using WMO but you cannot mask the two trace chemicals they test for. I used to do the marvel mystery oil in a gallon can as an excuse for why there is a red tint, but was educated about the other chemicals. red dyed fuel leaves a reside that stays around for a very long time.
in short, if you're willing to pay the fines, do it. if not, seriously consider burning cut fuels to lessen the tax burden.

Butcherman

Reaction score
There was a guy in Iowa City, IA a couple of years ago they did a news story about him using WVO in his Jetta TDI. A couple of days later the Feds came knocking wanting their fair share of the road taxes. He ended up with them deciding he wasn't driving enough (all in town) so they finally decided to leave him alone.
I know somewhere in our mess of a government there is a form you can fill out to pay estimated road tax, if you so choose. The news did a story about that too after the guy's dealings with the Feds.:dunnocookoo