farm diesel and used motor oil make fuel???????

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't asked any law enforcement types but around here everyone says the fines for running red diesel is $X per mile on the odometer. so if you're running around in a truck with 250K miles make sure you have a quarter million in the bank to pay the fine.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two stories about red diesel.

First. I have a buddy that has a F350 that sticks out like a sore thumb. He was driving across country and wasn't paying attention to his fuel gauge when he realized he was running low. He was in the middle of nowhere and it was late at night. A station was nowhere to be found. He drove onto a farm hoping that he might be able to buy some diesel. I think the farmer sold him 5 gallons for $20. He left the farm and got on his way. Less than 5 minutes later, he got pulled over by a state trooper. He wanted to dip his tank. Guess what was in his tank? Red diesel. He got a ticket for it. He didn't even know what off road diesel was until that day. The old man called the cops after he was done screwing him for the diesel. Why else would he get pulled over to check his tank.

Second. Another buddy worked in the shop of a large construction company. They had hundreds of trucks and off road equipment. One day he is looking out the window into the yard. There is a woman going from truck to truck. He walks out to ask the woman what she is doing. Turns out she is with the state. She was dipping the tanks of the pickups to see if there was any off road diesel in them. So I guess if you buy thousands of gallons of red diesel, they might just check to see if it's going into the right tank.

I forgot one more. One guy told me that many years ago when he ran auto transporters, he used to use off road diesel. His trucks had the tanks locked and the drivers didn't have a key. If they ever tried to check the tanks, no one could open the caps. He said it was legal to do it that way, locking caps not the red diesel part.:dunno

Last edited:

pegleg

Reaction score
Well a great tread ,here in the Northeast I have not seen any fuel checking being done, and it very hard to find someone to sell you off road fuel for my tractors, but they like to tax the fuel and put a road use tax also. I would like all the taxes I paid for tractor fuel back it would pay for my biofuel projects.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it is hard to find here. I gave up looking for my boat. I think the point is red-dyed fuel is very much on the feds radar but WMO/WVO, at least at the moment in not for obvious reasons.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have two stories about red diesel.

First. I have a buddy that has a F350 that sticks out like a sore thumb. He was driving across country and wasn't paying attention to his fuel gauge when he realized he was running low. He was in the middle of nowhere and it was late at night. A station was nowhere to be found. He drove onto a farm hoping that he might be able to buy some diesel. I think the farmer sold him 5 gallons for $20. He left the farm and got on his way. Less than 5 minutes later, he got pulled over by a state trooper. He wanted to dip his tank. Guess what was in his tank? Red diesel. He got a ticket for it. He didn't even know what off road diesel was until that day. The old man called the cops after he was done screwing him for the diesel. Why else would he get pulled over to check his tank.

Second. Another buddy worked in the shop of a large construction company. They had hundreds of trucks and off road equipment. One day he is looking out the window into the yard. There is a woman going from truck to truck. He walks out to ask the woman what she is doing. Turns out she is with the state. She was dipping the tanks of the pickups to see if there was any off road diesel in them. So I guess if you buy thousands of gallons of red diesel, they might just check to see if it's going into the right tank.

I forgot one more. One guy told me that many years ago when he ran auto transporters, he used to use off road diesel. His trucks had the tanks locked and the drivers didn't have a key. If they ever tried to check the tanks, no one could open the caps. He said it was legal to do it that way, locking caps not the red diesel part.:dunno

I call bluff an the second story. Unless the truck is ON THE ROAD, like physically on the pavement they cant ticket CHIT.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it is hard to find here. I gave up looking for my boat. I think the point is red-dyed fuel is very much on the feds radar but WMO/WVO, at least at the moment in not for obvious reasons.

In reality, you are probably right about all other fuels except the red dyed fuels.

I can see you going to court over the red dyed fuel, and the gov dude tells the judge "we have this chemical for this purpose, and it showed up in his tanks". Bam, it's over.

Now you go to court over waste motor oil or french fry grease. "Well, how do you know he was running waste motor oil or something else?" I think it would get very technical after that and hard to prove for sure if and how much was used.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call bluff an the second story. Unless the truck is ON THE ROAD, like physically on the pavement they cant ticket CHIT.

Was I there when this happened? No. Did they get tickets? No. They didn't have red diesel in the trucks. Since they had everything from 1/2T pickups to large trucks hauling lowboy trailers, I suspect their vehicles would get pulled over on the road all the time to get checked for red diesel if they would have found something at the yard.

I wasn't there when my other buddy got the ticket either. I am just going by what I was told. I guess they might have lied to me because they thought I was stupid enough to believe them.:dunno I take people at face value. If I find out that someone has lied to me, especially about something that I could really give a rats ass about, I usually terminate my dealings with them.

Believe what I wrote or not, I won't be losing much sleep over it tonight.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they last just the same. The fuel is still ULSD fuel, but with red dye added.

Incorrect. Yesterday I pulled into a station that was selling diesel for $2.679 a gallon only to pull up to the pump and see that it was off road diesel. The sticker on the pump said 500PPM of sulfur while the ULSD pump said 15PPM and was priced at $2.799 so I went down the road to a place that was selling on road ULSD for $2.679.

sassyrel

Reaction score
farm diesel is dyed and so it has no road taxes paid on it. If caught you will be fined for what they think you might have used on the road. Which from what I have been told can be quite pricey but I have never met anyone face to face that has been dipped or checked for use of off road diesel. So there is effectively no difference between off road diesel and on road diesel other than I think the off road stuff is still a high sulfur fuel which our IDI's were designed to run on.

Now for mixing in used motor oil - not a problem - just filter it and enjoy. Just make sure that it doesn't have water in it and you'll do fine. Some say that it cokes up the injectors but I did not see that happen in my 5.9 Cummins adn trust me I ran tons of it through it along with tons of used cooking oil (veggie oil) and all I ever did with used motor oil was just filter it before putting it in the tank - now for the used cooking oil - I dewatered it first by bringing it up to temp to boil off water adn then filtered it. I'm actually doing the same thing on this IDI and not looking back.

I will tell you when you break over about 30% oil ratio that the motor will actually quite down some (the diesel rattle subsides) it's kinda amazing when you drive up to the diesel pump and have it running while you are filling and get the ratio down and the engine just all of a sudden starts making it's normal rattleling sound....

But you'll do just fine with what you are doing as long as the feds don't catch the dyed fuel - they couldn't care two flips less about the used motor oil...
did someone laugh at me on a certain idi weekend??? :rotflmao:rotflmao

sassyrel

Reaction score
Oh they care alright. Can they do anything about it? They probably wish they could. And in reality you are using public roads without paying the tax that they use for upkeep.

Now you can get into a big political argument here, but the fact remains the taxes for road upkeep do come from somewhere.

I am surprised they haven't nailed one of those guys on TV that say "look, I am using french fry oil to run my car!" Technically you can only run a very low precentage of non-taxed fuel in a road going automobile.

I remember reading somewhere that some states in the Northeast were going to put a heavier tax on anyone who was using a hybrid vehicle, since they did not use as much fuel, and they were not paying their fair share. I haven't heard about it lately, so it must have been squashed pretty quickly. But if you think about it, if we do ever get rid of gasoline and diesel fuel, they are going to have to get their taxes from somewhere. I remember seeing one of those cars that ran on air. I guess if they went to that, they will have to tax the air or something.
they already tried in iowa--and got burnt--the guy they tried to harass, hung em--because of the small amount of bio he produced..he was at a bio convention i attended--

Last edited:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
do you really think they are going to change a sticker out? The guy that owns the local fuel distribution place(who everybody buys their fuel from) told me that the two were exactly the same minus the red dye, but maybe that is just down here. oh yeah and you can really run any concentration of wmo you want just filter it and dump it in.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you really think they are going to change a sticker out? The guy that owns the local fuel distribution place(who everybody buys their fuel from) told me that the two were exactly the same minus the red dye, but maybe that is just down here. oh yeah and you can really run any concentration of wmo you want just filter it and dump it in.

I doubt non-ULSD can be found anywhere. It's a matter of economics...

I can't imagine that the oil distributors would be interested in handling anything but ULSD. Regular diesel would have to be kept in a completely different supply chain & would require special handling. It can't possibly end up in an on-road pump - imagine the liability for them of regular diesel accidently getting into the road diesel supply chain; how many regen systems would they have to buy?

The folks we buy our tractor fuel from take ULSD and mix the dye with it and deliver it out to us. I'm sure there is some type of standard for the amount of dye because we have to specify how much we want when we order because they have to mix it up before delivery.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well my ex boss was driving his cummins and he knows all too well about the dipping and in columbus they love to do that alot in front of the two dumps just checking guys before they leave ask me how I know !-cuss well anyway when I was driving his cummins and he had just filled the tank and he said he put 2 gallons of tranny fluid in it and i laughed well it smoked so badddd :rotflmao welp get to the dump highway patrol said i was getting a 1500 dollar fine and im like i can prove that it is tranny fluid so take my finger and go around the filler neck on the inside and showed him it was like oil not diesel and he smelled the tranny fluid. so after 10 minutes of him verifiying i have had no tickets or warrents he is like next time if i see it again I will FINE YOU!!!! lol welp i smiled and said officer have a fantastic day and i rolled coal let it was going out of style with a 12 foot trailer following me hahahahahahahah

damn trailer it seemed like it never wanted to quit humpin me that day :rotflmao:rotflmao i couldnt shake it off it was funny sry had to put in my last .02

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be a good time to inject a couple of good rules to follow in life.

First, if you're going to walk on the line that divides what's legal and what's illegal, it's best to keep your head and butt down. You're much less likely to be cought on the wrong side of that line if the man doesn't know you're there.

Second, know your rights. They vari from state to state. In Indiana, anything that is locked can not be searched without either A. My permission (which no one gets), or B. A warrent. The warrent takes a while to obtain, and they can only detain me for so long (about 20 min) before I can claim unlawfull detainment.

Persoally, I stay far enough from the line that I don't generally have to worry about anything. Having said that, I'll soon be running WVO. It's far cheaper than off road diesel :) As a private citizen, I have no obligation to keep track of reciepts, quantities, millage or any other form of evidence that could be used against me. If I owned a buisness, and was doing this with my buisness vehicles, that would be a whole other story.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online