farm diesel and used motor oil make fuel???????

sassyrel

Reaction score
I am surprised they haven't nailed one of those guys on TV that say "look, I am using french fry oil to run my car!" Technically you can only run a very low precentage of non-taxed fuel in a road going automobile.

[/QUOTE]

im running a LOT of vege oil in my passat--lubrication additve for the ip ,yah know----:D:D:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am surprised they haven't nailed one of those guys on TV that say "look, I am using french fry oil to run my car!" Technically you can only run a very low precentage of non-taxed fuel in a road going automobile.

im running a LOT of vege oil in my passat--lubrication additve for the ip ,yah know----:D:D:D[/QUOTE]

They did exactly that to a guy who lives in Maryland. He was on the news with his Volkswagon, as they did a special interest story on him and his home made biodiesel plant (story pushed the "green" element as well as showing alternatives when gas was $5 a gallon). The state went after him, and the story exploded on the front page of the Baltimore Sun. I don't recall how/if it ended well.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
so is it safe to run? i may use regular diesel instead of dyed diesel haha. ive got plenty of oil an diesel is not a problem i just wanted to make sure it was safe

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so is it safe to run? i may use regular diesel instead of dyed diesel haha. ive got plenty of oil an diesel is not a problem i just wanted to make sure it was safe
safe to run as far as no mechanical damage...yes.
safe to run as far as possible charges of tax evasion...no.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
waste motor oil will not hurt your truck as long as its filtered. dyed diesel is the exact same thing as regular diesel except it has a cup of red dye per gallon of diesel. they WILL fine you HEAVILY if you are cought running dyed diesel and like towcat and i think others have pointed out there are chemicals in the dye that actually coat the tank and they can detect it for a while after you have ran it.

on edit
they can not fine you for running wmo but what towcat said about the dyed diesel is absolutely true. It is federal and the feds do not care about anything except money and they will milk all of it out of you that they can

Last edited:

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
If i drove a diesel every day as my commuter i would be doing it. Figure i drive 50k a year just commuting. so 50,000 divided by 15mpg =3333.33 gallons of fuel. Then that times .43= $1333 a year in savings. That is worth it to me. But thats just me, and exactly why i dont drive a diesel every day, being my gas truck gets 20mpg and it is .50 a gallon cheaper than diesel

Thats the same type of math logic my old man used until he got caught

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so they could still fine me even if i mixed road fuel with it?
if there is a presence of red dye or any of the chemical trace elements in it....you are ******. you must be young enough not to understand what a federal crime is. once they pick you up on their radar, they won't leave you alone. If you like that kind of scrutiny, go for it.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
if there is a presence of red dye or any of the chemical trace elements in it....you are ******. you must be young enough not to understand what a federal crime is. once they pick you up on their radar, they won't leave you alone. If you like that kind of scrutiny, go for it.

i didnt make myself clear i didnt mean mix on road fuel with off road fuel i meant mix on road fuel an used motor oil. sorry for the confusion but could they fine me for mixing on road fuel an motor oil?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. OFF ROAD fuel is the EXACT same thing as on road fuel, just dyed. If you want to get away with running dyed off road fuel there is a VERY simple solution.

1 get a in bed transfer tank.
2 plumb it into your trucks fuel system( make it unnoticable)
3 disconect your original fuel tanks from the fuel system
4 fill the in bed transfer tank with off road fuel
5 fill your original tanks with on road fuel

Now if you ever get DOT checked and they check your fuel tanks, you have on road TAXED fuel in your tanks. So they can do absolutly nothing to you

That's a great idea and has been thought of. HOWEVER... If you are stopped and get dipped, there is one thing need to remember - it takes nothing to drop your fuel filters and check them for dye. And it happens quite a bit. The roads are patrolled heavily, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a squad with it's cherries lit.

Wisconsin is quite horrible with regards to taxes, the State Patrol, and how crappy the roads are even though we pay so much to keep them "repaired" and in good shape. It would be a joke if I didn't have to keep replacing shocks and front end components.

Waste oil will burn very well when combined with diesel, and waste ATF burns easier than regular oil, hotter too. But like Kerosene (#1 Diesel) ATF has fewer BTUs in it. I used to setup oil fired furnaces to run all different fuels and waste oils work very well, albeit dirtier.

Today's ULSD is detrimental to our diesels and does less to help the environment than we are led to believe. I always carry some ATF and 2 Stroke oil to add to any fill ups to help with lubricity when I don't have Power Service or other additive available.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And unlike in the past, off road diesel is the same as on road diesel. The ONLY differences are the taxes and the dye. Which is all BS if you ask me, and no one has.

If the road taxes were used to repair the bad roads, it may be different. But I've been driving the same stretch of beat up, pot holed, spot repaired, and washboard road. But 1/2 mile down the road on a smooth stretch, the road is redone every couple of years it seems. You know, too bad people don't hold the Hwy depts and other government agencies to actually doing the job they are over paid for.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine they could still fine you for running WMO if it was in sufficient quantities where it was the fuel and not the additive. Proving your tax evasion would be harder. Using dyed fuel is just too easy for them, you're inviting trouble for minimal savings.

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
When I lived in WA state drivers would typically have their OWN used oil poured into their fuel tanks which was about 11gl per oil change. 11gls is enough to turn two 165gl fuel tanks black to light black. This was an illegal act in WA state not because of the fuel tax. Used oil contains a high amount of sulfur.

It's not about what makes an engine good or efficient...you do the math :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online