farm diesel and used motor oil make fuel???????

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about all these ideas and thoughts that yall have brung up.
It seems to me if you have a document in your truck for taxes to run home brewed bio it would work for filtered wmo. I am going to talk to the ladies at the dmv about getting the paperwork to show my fuel usage during the year to pay the taxes on the fuel I use. As long as there is no dye in the tank I dont think they would mess with you if stopped.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I lived in WA state drivers would typically have their OWN used oil poured into their fuel tanks which was about 11gl per oil change. 11gls is enough to turn two 165gl fuel tanks black to light black. This was an illegal act in WA state not because of the fuel tax. Used oil contains a high amount of sulfur.

It's not about what makes an engine good or efficient...you do the math :dunno

I was trying to do a little bit of searching on the web about running non-taxed fuel and how much % was legal, and you are correct, it seems one of the main things they are worried about now is sulphur emissions.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are allowed to run 400gal of alt fuels (bio/veg) per year before taxes. There is no way for the fed or the state to tell how much you run. I run into cali 1 to 2x a year. That means running thru Wa/Or and Ca, I have NEVER been stopped nor have I seen ANY pickup's being stopped to dip tanks.

I have herd though that they dont have to dip to tell your running dyed fuel as the chems they use can be picked up on a sniffer.

Why run offroad fuel when bio/veg is better for your rig and is 1/5th the cost?

And as a side note I dont feel bad about not paying taxes on my fuel...in Wa you pay for tonnage on your truck AND pay tabs on a camper. So how can I have to pay for my 12' camper when it never touches the road and is in my truck I pay tonnage on?

Stu

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dyed isn't worth screwing with, like everyone else has said, it's not the dye they're looking for. I know here, if they send it back to the lab and analyze it, they can even identify the manufacturer of the fuel based on the dye...
As for all the rest of the alt fuels, I put too many miles and hours on my engines to add possible wear to the injection system beyond what is already there, and having to deal with preheating etc is a pain in the ass, especially considering at best I'd be getting 5-6 months tops where I could burn any of the other stuff.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You are allowed to run 400gal of alt fuels (bio/veg) per year before taxes. There is no way for the fed or the state to tell how much you run. I run into cali 1 to 2x a year. That means running thru Wa/Or and Ca, I have NEVER been stopped nor have I seen ANY pickup's being stopped to dip tanks.

I have herd though that they dont have to dip to tell your running dyed fuel as the chems they use can be picked up on a sniffer.

Why run offroad fuel when bio/veg is better for your rig and is 1/5th the cost?

And as a side note I dont feel bad about not paying taxes on my fuel...in Wa you pay for tonnage on your truck AND pay tabs on a camper. So how can I have to pay for my 12' camper when it never touches the road and is in my truck I pay tonnage on?

Stu

WA state generally has the highest taxes in the country. always has, always will and there is usually very little to show for it aside from polititians with VERY overstuffed personal bank accounts :backoff Ican still ( no matter how hard I try to forget) remember living in that rathole state and paying $160 a year to put tags on my 35 year old 2 horse trailer cookoo Their nutty system was you pay the sales tax on a portion of the NEW price of teh vehicle EVERY single year :kick: Needless to say, you don't see any ferraris running around with WA plates on them. Anyone who owns one or anything massively expensive and lives there gets a buisness in OR and registers it there so they can afford to tag the thing.. otherwise the price of getting taxed on new every year would break them.

One of the many reasons I left that place.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are allowed to run 400gal of alt fuels (bio/veg) per year before taxes. There is no way for the fed or the state to tell how much you run.

Well, I think the link below might say something different. I finally found something on the irs website that talks about this issue. You guys can do what you want, but I wanted to put something up here that was concrete on the issue.

I believe the paragraph below covers anything you put in a diesel engine, that the engine will actually run and be driven on the road. Yes that includes waste motor oil.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p510/ch01.html#en_US_publink1000116867

Diesel fuel means:

Any liquid that without further processing or blending is suitable for use as a fuel in a diesel-powered highway vehicle or train, and

Transmix.

A liquid is suitable for this use if the liquid has practical and commercial fitness for use in the propulsion engine of a diesel-powered highway vehicle or diesel-powered train. A liquid may possess this practical and commercial fitness even though the specified use is not the predominant use of the liquid. However, a liquid does not possess this practical and commercial fitness solely by reason of its possible or rare use as a fuel in the propulsion engine of a diesel-powered highway vehicle or diesel-powered train. Diesel fuel does not include gasoline, kerosene, excluded liquid, No. 5 and No. 6 fuel oils covered by ASTM specification D396, or F-76 (Fuel Naval Distillate) covered by military specification MIL-F-16884.

Removal or sale of blended diesel fuel or kerosene. The removal or sale of blended diesel fuel or blended kerosene by the blender is taxable. Blended taxable fuel produced using biodiesel is subject to the tax. See Blended taxable fuel under Definitions, earlier.

The blender is liable for the tax. The tax is figured on the number of gallons not previously subject to the tax.

Persons who blend biodiesel with undyed diesel fuel to produce and sell or use a biodiesel mixture outside the bulk transfer/terminal system must pay the diesel fuel tax on the volume of biodiesel in the mixture. Generally, the biodiesel mixture must be diesel fuel (defined earlier). See Form 720 to report this tax. You also must be registered by the IRS as a blender. See Form 637 for more information.

However, if an untaxed liquid is sold as taxable fuel and that untaxed liquid is used to produce blended taxable fuel, the person that sold the untaxed liquid is jointly and severally liable for the tax imposed on the blender's sale or removal of the blended taxable fuel.

Additional persons liable. When the person liable for the tax willfully fails to pay the tax, joint and several liability for the tax applies to:

Any officer, employee, or agent of the person who is under a duty to ensure the payment of the tax and who willfully fails to perform that duty; or

Anyone who willfully causes the person to fail to pay the tax.

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50/50 mix is a waste of money. just use regular diesel and mix it about 20% . you dont really even need to thin it down, just put regulR DIESEL IN ONE TANK and your filtered oil in the other, then switch tanks ones she warms up.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the same section of the above referenced IRS publication:

An excluded liquid is either of the following.

1. A liquid that contains less than 4% normal paraffins.

2. A liquid with all the following properties.

a. Distillation range of 125 degrees Fahrenheit or less.

b. Sulfur content of 10 ppm or less.

c. Minimum color of +27 Saybolt.

Since the higher the Saybolt, the clearer the liquid, I would imagine that WMO, which would have a very low Saybolt, would be excluded. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I just quietly go along, obtain WMO when I can, and burn it when I need to. It has kept me on the road until the next payday many times. When I am flush with cash, I buy diesel and save up oil for when I can't.

Last edited:

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get all kinds of crud built up on the inside of the centrifuge but the oil is still dark. I use a dieselcraft centrifuge & I run it at about 80 psi. I usually set it up and then go find something else to do (it's a farm, there's always something else to do). I'll come back a few hours later and shut it down. The oil gets pretty hot, I suppose from the heat of compression & the gear pump that I am using to pump it. It always looks the same, but I've never been stranded with a plugged up fuel filter so I guess it's working.

DragRag

Reaction score
What many of you are missing is the fact that you can run "additives" in your fuel. In California for instance, if you have fuel in your tanks, and you run and additive to lubricity you are fine to do so. My additive happens to be waste motor oil, and I run a lot of additive. California is different then many states, so this does not apply in your state. If you have diesel fuel from the pump in your tank, you are OK to run additives up to in the neighbor hood of 90%, but I would need to find that fact again to prove that to you. Basically here if you have bought taxed fuel, you can use just about any additive you need, and just about for all intensive purpose as much as you like, but not 100%. If you run straight WMO or WVO then you are using it as your fuel. It is a state of mind issue is what it boils down to law wise here. If you say it is an additive you are fine, if you call it your fuel you are skipping out on tax. Think about it really, are additves taxed as fuel? The answer is no, because they are not fuels. So, here in Kali, go run as much additive as you like, as long as you are running at least 10-20% diesel, and you pumped it in the tank first, or mixed it in your fuel tank at home and into your truck you are not beating the revenuers out of a thing. There is your loop whole explained in a nut shell, enjoy. Yes I have close ties with law enforcement that have advised me on this issue.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What many of you are missing is the fact that you can run "additives" in your fuel. In California for instance, if you have fuel in your tanks, and you run and additive to lubricity you are fine to do so. My additive happens to be waste motor oil, and I run a lot of additive. California is different then many states, so this does not apply in your state. If you have diesel fuel from the pump in your tank, you are OK to run additives up to in the neighbor hood of 90%, but I would need to find that fact again to prove that to you. Basically here if you have bought taxed fuel, you can use just about any additive you need, and just about for all intensive purpose as much as you like, but not 100%. If you run straight WMO or WVO then you are using it as your fuel. It is a state of mind issue is what it boils down to law wise here. If you say it is an additive you are fine, if you call it your fuel you are skipping out on tax. Think about it really, are additves taxed as fuel? The answer is no, because they are not fuels. So, here in Kali, go run as much additive as you like, as long as you are running at least 10-20% diesel, and you pumped it in the tank first, or mixed it in your fuel tank at home and into your truck you are not beating the revenuers out of a thing. There is your loop whole explained in a nut shell, enjoy. Yes I have close ties with law enforcement that have advised me on this issue.

You are allowed to run additives, but the percentage you are allowed to run is very low. I have seen it before, and it's something like single digit %. Sorry to say, it's not going to be 90%. If I get time I will try to do some more searching. But basically you are able to go to the store and buy your favorite snake oil, and pour it into the engine according to the instructions, which we all know is not very much per tank of fuel. And there are a new bunch of rules I ran across the additive guys have to follow about sulfur emissions. They basically cannot add significantly to the sulfur output of the engine.

I hope you guys realize these government people are not dumb when it comes to making the rules work for them.