farm diesel and used motor oil make fuel???????

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only form I found for highway taxes was Form 4122 regarding biodiesel if my memory serves me correctly. Estimated road taxes? Wouldn't surprise me.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no high sulpher off road fuel anymore being refined in the usa, off road is just dyed red.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this state, it's hard enough for them to get people to buy tags and insurance. Any guilt I might feel from using homemade bio disappears quickly when I hit the thousands of potholes I drive over every day. I know, it's probably the missing tax revenue from MY fuel that would give them enough $ to fix the road, but more likely it would end up paying for some bureaucrat's new car or something. It sure ain't going to the roads.

What is the legal drinking age in Alabama now? I heard a rumor a few years ago that some of the states down there would not raise their drinking age to 21, so they did not get any Federal money for the roads. But that was at least 15 or so years ago when someone told me that when I asked why the roads were a little rough down there.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
lets say i have a 100% off road, non registered, non insured IDI off road rig and i ran NOTHING BUT "off road" non taxed fuel in it, would the i/p and injectors last longer??

-Jon

DragRag

Reaction score
this is what I know about the fuel checkpoints....
they do not need request to dip your tanks if you do not have locking caps.
you can deny them access if you have locking caps but your plates are recorded and they will be by later with a search warrant.
you can hide the red dye component by using WMO but you cannot mask the two trace chemicals they test for. I used to do the marvel mystery oil in a gallon can as an excuse for why there is a red tint, but was educated about the other chemicals. red dyed fuel leaves a reside that stays around for a very long time.
in short, if you're willing to pay the fines, do it. if not, seriously consider burning cut fuels to lessen the tax burden.

Agreed.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
lets say i have a 100% off road, non registered, non insured IDI off road rig and i ran NOTHING BUT "off road" non taxed fuel in it, would the i/p and injectors last longer??

-Jon

No. OFF ROAD fuel is the EXACT same thing as on road fuel, just dyed. If you want to get away with running dyed off road fuel there is a VERY simple solution.

1 get a in bed transfer tank.
2 plumb it into your trucks fuel system( make it unnoticable)
3 disconect your original fuel tanks from the fuel system
4 fill the in bed transfer tank with off road fuel
5 fill your original tanks with on road fuel

Now if you ever get DOT checked and they check your fuel tanks, you have on road TAXED fuel in your tanks. So they can do absolutly nothing to you

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. OFF ROAD fuel is the EXACT same thing as on road fuel, just dyed. If you want to get away with running dyed off road fuel there is a VERY simple solution.

Now if you ever get DOT checked and they check your fuel tanks, you have on road TAXED fuel in your tanks. So they can do absolutly nothing to you

Although I like your idea I doubt it would appease a judge in the event you were to actaully have to contest it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Although I like your idea I doubt it would appease a judge in the event you were to actaully have to contest it.

Contest what? The DOT would not fine you anything because as fas as they know, you are burning ON road fuel in your truck, And transporting OFF road fuel in the transfer tank

KRMNAL1

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work to save what $0.43gl ??

When I worked for my dad he only used off-road fuel in all his trucks and one day at the port of entry scale in Bellingham WA they dipped the tank, my brother was issued a criminal citation. 2 days later Federal Marshalls and 2 IRS agents showed up at our office with guns drawn and a search warrant. They were looking for fuel receipts and records dating back 5 years after the Feds are down with you the state gets there hand in the pocket also for their share of your tax evasion. Not counting the attorney fees it cost my old man about $225,000 which was way less than it could have been

This most likely would not happen to someone in a private vehicle but anything is possible, right??

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can hide the red dye component by using WMO but you cannot mask the two trace chemicals they test for. I used to do the marvel mystery oil in a gallon can as an excuse for why there is a red tint, but was educated about the other chemicals. red dyed fuel leaves a reside that stays around for a very long time.

That's was what I was told by a DOT-trained statie a while back as well - don't run offroad fuel, color is easy to hide but a chem test would reveal it right away, and with the fines as large as they are now it simply is not worth it to even try. I asked about trans fluid cause it turns the fuel red, and he said that it is legal as an additive to the fuel and should I be caught in a fuel check stop while running diesel and ATF mix to tell the DOT guy right away the fuel will be red before he even dips it, and if they try to give me any trouble to stand my ground and to demand a chem test instead of the more common color-only test they apparently use... Or just throw in some WMO along with the ATF and be done with it, color won't be red and even a chem test would come clean cause there was no offroad fuel in there do begin with.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do not want to mess with those boys . We have a livestock auction here in town and they setup on one of the roads leading in or out of town on a regular basis to catch all the farm trucks hauling stock trailers in or out running on dyed fuel .

I was in Shipshawana Indiana and saw the Feds dipping all the pickups at a cattle auction. Don't know how many they caught but there was a lot of commotion when the guy's returned to there trucks.

Have a friend who has a trucking business, mostly dump trucks, they haul gravel,sand,stone and etc. also sell all those products, they have a front end loader,Bobcat,farm tractor and a golf cart that uses dyed fuel. They get dipped by the Feds about once a month some times twice in there on road trucks.
If you have a big bank account, go ahead and use the dyed fuel. :eek::rolleyes:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work to save what $0.43gl ??

When I worked for my dad he only used off-road fuel in all his trucks and one day at the port of entry scale in Bellingham WA they dipped the tank, my brother was issued a criminal citation. 2 days later Federal Marshalls and 2 IRS agents showed up at our office with guns drawn and a search warrant. They were looking for fuel receipts and records dating back 5 years after the Feds are down with you the state gets there hand in the pocket also for their share of your tax evasion. Not counting the attorney fees it cost my old man about $225,000 which was way less than it could have been

This most likely would not happen to someone in a private vehicle but anything is possible, right??

If i drove a diesel every day as my commuter i would be doing it. Figure i drive 50k a year just commuting. so 50,000 divided by 15mpg =3333.33 gallons of fuel. Then that times .43= $1333 a year in savings. That is worth it to me. But thats just me, and exactly why i dont drive a diesel every day, being my gas truck gets 20mpg and it is .50 a gallon cheaper than diesel

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score

:angel:

-Jon

sassyrel

Reaction score
Oh they care alright. Can they do anything about it? They probably wish they could. And in reality you are using public roads without paying the tax that they use for upkeep.

its totally legal,to burn any and all used oil you create in the operation of your vehicles-------------------------------------:D:D nuff said--