Expected boost

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Happy memorial weekend everyone,

Back at it again by doing more stuff to the truck. Working on installing the isspro egt gauge at the moment.

Was curious as to what boost should be with the wastegate wired shut. According to Justin, using mechanics wire is not sufficient enough, but with the 90cc pump I should supposedly be seeing mid to high teens for boost.

So while I wait for the down pipe and wastegate block off plate to show up, I grabbed a really big hose clamp, wrapped it around the boost diaphragm and throw arm for the wastegate valve. Took er for a quick spin, definitely builds boost crazy fast now, but I couldn't get it above 10psi just goosing it around on flat grounds.

For those whose wastegates have left their trucks, what boosts are you seeing?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not directly in response to your question but some things for your consideration. I had a T04Z truck, Wastegate delete, CDD intercooler, R&D 130 IP. It was supposed to see mid 30s and it was seeing 26 psi at the cold side pipe going into the intake. I pressure tested the system and no leaks. Sold someone an ATS093 with a stage 1 R&D turbo and he has a 90cc R&D pump and CDD intercooler. He has supposed to see high teens like you and he is getting 7.5 psi with a small leak so probably right around 10psi same as you. There’s no pointing at a cause for this just some data. I don’t think anyone knows these engines better than Justin. He’s the only one dedicated to truly performance machining the platform.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I know there's going to be variances, my kit may be a "093 kit with new turbo" but who knows what this turbo actually is. It looks pretty generic.

Since taking my gauge pillar off and putting the isspro gauge in, my boost gauge has decided not to work anymore. Under hard accelerating it only shows like 3psi, so I think I need to get a new boost gauge before revisiting this...

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s some added anecdotal data from my experience.

When I had Justin’s stage 1 injectors and his drop in turbo with the wastegate locked shut + CDDs 110 pump I was getting like 20-22 psi.

When I switched to Russ’s injectors I’m down to 17-18 psi. But they don’t knock which is really cool.

And before I upgraded my exhaust to 4” straight pipe, I was only getting like 8-10 psi

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sheeeiiiiiiit well looks like I need a new boost gauge, and to put on my new exhaust first.

Shame, the exhaust box is making an excellent foot rest at my computer.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with my previous setup, that i did my first dyno run on
093, ww2, 3'' dp and a disconnected wastegate hose, hypermax intercooler and othwerwis stock truck/ engine

15psi on fuel and 19 psi on water ****, no head studs
i dynod at 226/501 at 7 psi, and the next day went and disabled the wastegate.

now im on the same turbo pump, but its maxed, R&D lift pump, stage 1 drop in, stock r&D injectors and can see 20-25psi,

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My turbo’d truck is of course much different, being a Hypermax… but fwiw 17 psi max @1200 EGTs, 80 mph foot on the floor from 0, with Russ injectors set to 2100 psi, and Moose Diesel Junior Pump, 6.0 PSD air filter system, Holley Blue lift pump, R&D return rails and manual fuel selector valve.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
0-100 mph in about half a mile. Truck weighs just under 6500 lbs

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Nero When you say "new turbo" do you mean brand new everything or refurbished?
I had to go back and read the CDD listing, apparently it is a rebuilt T04B turbo with better seals and thrust washers.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wastegate is just unplugged and not wired shut. 13-14psi aftercooled boost WOT almost anywhere doing anything in the higher gears. Gets up to 15 when my slip joint is freshly packed with RTV. Maxed out stocker IP with stock Russ injectors. Nothing fancy really. Oh and I have one cylinder at 260psi compression, doh.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
When I got my new exhaust on and went on my test drive, my boost gauge actually jumped up to 10psi, then went back down to zero and stayed there.

Maybe I'm not building boost -Playme

Nah its definitely a faulty gauge. I can hear the turbo spooling now that I am without muffler.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Due to budget constraints, I ordered a budget boost gauge, an Auto Meter for now. Someday I'll get an Isspro to replace it, but anything is better than a malfunctioning gauge for now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online