Ebay Find solution to SMF cost!

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay after a lot of part numbers and contacting some of the major companies that make SMF kits that fit our trucks. I think I have found one that will work and fits a tight budget! I had a LUK kit that really became a POS fast and LUK would not stand behind the defects! SO I tried to just buy a new clutch disc and pressure plate from them and it was $380.00 with shipping so I said nope. Found different ways to make a SMF either with the lucky mod or using a t19 flywheel and buying a tall pressure plate from autozone and a sprung hub clutch from fenco. Seemed like to much work, one of the best companies I have dealt with in a long time is Perfection Clutch Perfection Clutch - Brute Power - ZOOM - Super Brute got a part number 91200sk (Includes flywheel ,TOB , CD , PP and PB) from them and started the hours of searching for the best deal. The price for their kit ranged from $500.00 down to $266.00 (Yes thats right ) I almost settled for buying it from Amazon as at the time they wanted $366.00 with shipping I thought it was a great price! Then I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRUT...dZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ170640907064#ht_1278wt_939 I had to double and triple verify with the seller to really make sure it was a full kit and YES it is! So to save any of you on here from wasting money and spending 60+ hours of your life trying to find a better deal I don't think you will! I will upload pictures when I get it. So while the price is low if anyone needs a SMF kit now looks like the time, I may buy 2 just to have as a low cost spare.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great price. Please let us know what you think of the clutch after installation -- thanks.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do!! I plan on looking over all the parts and taking pictures of it when I get it. From what I understand the clutch disc is SACHS and the pressure plate is Valeo and the TOB is SKF or Timken and the flywheel is Perfection brand. Thats how it was told to me! I may upgrade the TOB to one with lip seals if this one does not have them just for peace of mind!

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
ARE YOU FOR REEELS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!;Sweet;Sweet

THAT LUK IS THE WORST 600 OR SO DOLLARS EVER SPENT IN THE HISTORY OF MY TRUCK!!!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, i ordered mine as soon as i read this post and checked it out.. didnt want to miss out, what a deal... even if it's complete trash, i'll get atleast a year or two out of it..

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am not alone!! I wasted 600.00 too!! Its total junk! The springs in the disc hub came apart in mine about 3 months after I called LUK to ask about a vibration issue I never had before the swap! I was told it was "normal" then the springs let loose and killed the flywheel and pressure plate!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am not alone!! I wasted 600.00 too!! Its total junk! The springs in the disc hub came apart in mine about 3 months after I called LUK to ask about a vibration issue I never had before the swap! I was told it was "normal" then the springs let loose and killed the flywheel and pressure plate!

that blows, i coulda had some nice words with them guys..-cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There was a time when a lot of these guys were going head over heels for a Luk clutch. Quality control has obviously gone out the window at that outfit. Not surprising, they aren't the first to go downhill

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope lots of placing are cutting costs! Look at NAPA I give them less than 5 years before they have to dissolve the entire thing. They have been priced out of the market and intern have found some of the lowest of the low quality parts to sell and it shows. I have such a huge failure rate with NAPA and their bad return policy I have to go elsewhere!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope lots of placing are cutting costs! Look at NAPA I give them less than 5 years before they have to dissolve the entire thing. They have been priced out of the market and intern have found some of the lowest of the low quality parts to sell and it shows. I have such a huge failure rate with NAPA and their bad return policy I have to go elsewhere!
your pronouncement of the death of NAPA is extremely doubtful. They now own two of the largest parts warehouse distribution systems in the country. There's no doubt the DIY is an endangered species, but NAPA has hammerlocked how commercial repair shops go about buying their parts. Do your own homework. Carquest for domestic, Worldpac for foreign and Traction for heavy truck.
None of the names are recognizable by the DIY(do it yourself) market. The discounts are significant when ordering online with them. Unfortunately, they are very good at keeping the sales to commercial shops that have a good credit rating and high volume of purchase, so shops who aren't as strong have to contend with O'reilys and Autozone.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
your pronouncement of the death of NAPA is extremely doubtful. They now own two of the largest parts warehouse distribution systems in the country. There's no doubt the DIY is an endangered species, but NAPA has hammerlocked how commercial repair shops go about buying their parts. Do your own homework. Carquest for domestic, Worldpac for foreign and Traction for heavy truck.
None of the names are recognizable by the DIY(do it yourself) market. The discounts are significant when ordering online with them. Unfortunately, they are very good at keeping the sales to commercial shops that have a good credit rating and high volume of purchase, so shops who aren't as strong have to contend with O'reilys and Autozone.

You are looking at it from a California perspective, that I witnessed last fall when I was out there, and I found to be REALLY wierd to find that nobody fixed their own stuff out there anymore and everything was done in shops ( heck, in the san fernando valley where drag racing and cruising basically got most of it's developement and you used to find a speed shop everywhere, there is now one left.... and they took so long to order in a part.. that was made in CA , that I had to cancel the order and re-order it from Summit! Pitiful ( I found teh everything done by professionals not only applying to cars, but houses as well, the hardware stores out there, while same companies as here, carry nothing but paint and frilly things and appliences and their parking lots have no spaces large enough for pickup trucks cookoo all compact spaces. I understand the east coast is the same way.

but here in middle America, where most of teh population lives, that model doesn't fly. Lots more farm folk and country folk and they fix their own stuff and they won't put up with the kind of crap that Napa has been pulling. THey expect a straight deal and won't be treated wrong twice. Napa lost all their commercial accounts around here to other distributors when the dropped all the quality lines chasing the DIYers and the DIYers just aren't stupid enough to keep paying twice as much for parts that die in 6 months and don't have a warranty when they can go down the street and get a better deal. Folks used to not mind paying the premium at Napa even though they didn't do the lifetime warranty bit because they used quality rebuilders and their stuff held up and you didn't have to worry about it, but those days are long gone.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the east coast is the same way.

WRONG on that, it's about 90% good old boys out here like me. fixing our junk in our dirt driveways with craftsman tools and redman.. no dought ferther northeast, say nyc, nj area it's probly like you speech of the west coast. but here in northeast, pa we keep our junk alive....

p.s NAPA sucks, i've found getting good parts is becoming impossable.. so if i have time i always search the net for n.o.s stuff before hand. if i need it asap, i always use advance auto. mainly becouse i have an acount thhere and get a 15% discount, plus when the crap goes bad 6 months later they always replace it free and without questions....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
G W Buffalo,

One word of caution with Advance.... I have seen this done, and done to me personally. They have changed their warranty. It is a lifetime warranty, and you bring it back it becomes a 6 month warranty..... So what it boils down to is they will replace it ONCE on the lifetime warranty... once it is replaced, if it isn't DOA... then you are SOL..... one reason that I went back to "The Zone" they still have a real lifetime warranty, and their quality has seem to have risen lately, where like NAPA, Advance has fallen........

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well darn I went to buy another and all gone!!! Should have moved faster!!

Yes I find autozone asks the least amount of questions and they will warranty the parts no hassle for me unlike other stores.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well darn I went to buy another and all gone!!! Should have moved faster!!

Yes I find autozone asks the least amount of questions and they will warranty the parts no hassle for me unlike other stores.

yep after i bought mine it said last one at the top of the screen.. cant wait for it to arrive, hope it aint complete junk..