Could this be the solution?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several times now I have had my engine choke on me and then die, after a 5 or 10 minute forced rest in the berm of the road it would restart, but I would be more than happy if I could get this last hurdle out of the way and have my engine run fine again!

What I think is happening is that when the engine runs between 2000 and 3000 Rpm the IP is drawing soo much diesel from the system the system can't follow and therefore the engine starts to misfire and in the end when I release the accelerator dies on me?

What could be the cause? I recently had to clean the whole fuel system due to a contamination, and I'm sure now it's clean. I changed the fuel filter (in the cleaned system ) two times with a new one. and the engine still does this.

To me the only thing I couldn't measure is the lift pump, I've seen that when it's running stationary it has some (how much???) pressure, when I pushed at the Schrader valve it sputtered out quite a bit.
But is there a tool with which I can measure the pressure? it should be somewhere around 5 Psi, and my tool for measure tire pressure doesn't even start at 15 Psi.

Or is there a way to have a fuel pressure gauge installed?
any advice much appreciated.

Oh, somebody mentioned that Agnem has written something about this subject, If I understood correct, the ability for the IP to need more diesel than the fuel system can deliver?

I couldn't find it, but would like to read what he wrote about?
So if someone has the leads to it?
Thanks.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
With the sit for a few minutes and then it will restart sounds like a couple of things..

One, with the previous contamination, you could have chunks of stuff in the bottom of the tank, that get sucked up against the infamous showerhead, and stops fuel flow. While the engine is off and there is no fuel flow, that obstruction will fall away from the showerhead and then it can move fuel again.

Two, which would be an easy test, is your tank vent could be clogged. Truck runs and pulled fuel from the tank, no air can replace the now missing fuel and creates a vacuum in the tank and stops fuel flow. With the truck not running, the vacuum will stop, the pressure equalizes and the truck will now run again. To test this theory, loosen your fuel cap and try to drive it…. If it stays running, you have a venting problem. I’ve seen this on many different types of engines…. Even seen it happen on a gravity fed small engine….

I hope it’s just a plugged vent problem. Here in the states Mud Dauber Wasps like to build their nest in the vent hsse…. Becaus if it’s an obstruction issue from the previous algae, then more than likely the solutions will mean you have to drop the tanks…..

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might look at this

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Scott,

I see at what you are thinking, I cleaned the whole shebang somewhere in June, July, steam-cleaners, with industrial degreasers and a few hands full of gravel on a cement mixer etc.

My showerheads were completely desintergrated on impact, so I replaced them with a bit of modern fuel rated sturdy hose with a "V" cut in so it doesn't s'ucks vacuum.

since I'm in a "test" mode I drove with the gas cap in "vent" position, just for the reason you mentioned.

Then just two weeks ago I "fuel polished" all the fuel in my tank for a whole afternoon, where I took the fuel from the little hose where it enters the lift pump normally, so I know that part is not obstructed.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which one? filter restricted? or water in filter?
in my case both work.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the filter restiction light. If it isnt coming on, fuel flow is enough for the injection pump.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you've missed it? since I cleaned everything this truck has left me standing at the side of the road at least two times. and that is only with short test drives.
and both times the restricted filter light came on.
the problem is that that light comes on when you don't expect it, random.
and I'm not liking that! In this period I'm looking for the last bits and bobs in order to make this truck reliable again.
But because this restricted filter light and the engine dying on me is now going on for a whole year, its starting to play on my nerves.
On the other hand, last time fuel was leaking out of the filter head, and now I have fixed that, but had not yet a chance to make another test drive, while I can't find the correct V-belt from the crank to the alternator.
The one who is refered to by Ford due to the Ambulance package Leece-Neville alternator (I had to find a alternative to that one because with all the ford part numbers and gates codes, here in France nobody could find out to which size those numbers were corresponding.) Soo when I in the end found the correct length that belt was too long, even with the alternator tensioning system in it's furthest position there was too much slack on the belt.
I'm pretty fed up with it, it's just as if I'm reinventing the whole truck again!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty fed up with it, it's just as if I'm reinventing the whole truck again!
This is your endurance test...just think like Lance Armstrong...

It is either you...or the truck...and it is not going to be you...

Have you screamed at the sky yet..? You have to do that at least once to get your head straight and figure this one out...

Lord knows I have...once or twice...

Keep the faith...forge ahead...

Black dawg

Reaction score
This is your endurance test...just think like Lance Armstrong...

It is either you...or the truck...and it is not going to be you...

Have you screamed at the sky yet..? You have to do that at least once to get your head straight and figure this one out...

Lord knows I have...once or twice...

Keep the faith...forge ahead...
Yep.....been through these situations so many times working on cars. If you stick with it you will win. If people new how stubborn you have to be to be a mechanic, well, i dont know what they would do....

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.....been through these situations so many times working on cars. If you stick with it you will win. If people new how stubborn you have to be to be a mechanic, well, i dont know what they would do....
Especially when it's a electronic issue ( anything related to the pcm, sensors, and wiring). Mechanical is usually fairly simple.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If people new how stubborn you have to be to be a mechanic,
Amen, Burner Brother... I would venture that the majority of the driving public has no earthly idea what it takes to do a good job...and always under pressure...at that.

So...this cognitive ignorance has a lot to do with the rift between the Trades and the office people...and it causes a lot of friction...

At least what we do has visible and quantifiable results...

It should be a requirement that...before you go to college you should have to shovel s#1t for a while...just to get a feel for working with your hands...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be a requirement that...before you go to college you should have to shovel s#1t for a while...just to get a feel for working with your hands..
Agreed, in high school I cleaned horse stalls for my neighbor that had 12 racehorses.

I also feel that people should be required to complete a general maintenance course about vehicles before you can get a driver's license.

James

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, in high school I cleaned horse stalls for my neighbor that had 12 racehorses.

I also feel that people should be required to complete a general maintenance course about vehicles before you can get a driver's license.

James
I did that as well, only not racehorses.

In Europe (maybe not everywhere?) they do, I wasn't allowed to hold the steering wheel before I knew about air and oilfilter snowchains etc, but then, that was the army, and for a semi.

Just back to my "project" if you don't mind :)
on the filter head, besides the schrader valve you have that brass thingie, can I measure the fuel pressure there as well?
a friend had a thing with the right thread for that one, so I can connect a gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online