Could this be the solution?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, My truck is old in years, but (almost) new in mileage, 10234 Mi.

I did test the resistance in the fuel circuit, I measured AFTER the hose, so just before the fuel enters the lift pump, and I had ZERO resistance (or vacuum) at stationary, and non when I had more rev's, I had no Rpm gage when working under the hood, so helas.

Then I measured at the schrader valve, zero pression while stationary, and when I was revving the zero "pression" changed into 10 and more Inches Hg vacuum.

Then I measured again at the connection where the brass valve connects to the fuel retour circuit, that's the after filter circuit,
had a pressure of 2,5 - 2.8 Psig .

running the engine up to 3000 Rpm for two minutes, pressure dropped to -10 Inch/Hg vac.

Then released pedal, Rpm's back to stationary, pressure came up, but did not depass 2 Psig.

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So before the lift pump - no vacuum or pressure any rpm
Schrader on filter had no pressure and no vacuum at idle. Went to 10inhg vacuum at 3k rpm
Fuel return on filter head had 2-3 psi at idle, -10inhg at 3k rpm after 2 minutes

Do I have this all right?

If so, your lift pump has failed. No vacuum before the pump, and vacuum after shows the pump is not only not keeping up, it's causing a restriction to be created after the pump.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, That's what I already thought.
What I still wonder, is if there could be anything in the hardline from the pump to the filterhead and the filterhead itself? (although i had them cleaned when I did the tanks)

maybe a stupid question, but with these lift pumps, how could they fail, and how should that become a restriction? (just for me learning)

For a new one, I saw RA has Carters, would that be a good Idea?
since I heard they could be a bit problematic?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There could be, but that should have shown up when you measured for vacuum before the lift pump.

They fail in a number of ways, diaphragm rupture, check valve fail, arm broken off, etc. It doesn't really matter how to be honest. It becomes a restriction because it's still pulling fuel through the pump's check valves. And maybe the pump itself has a clog inside. Or maybe the steel line or fittings between the pump and the filter head has a clog. Pull it off and blow through it to make sure it's free flowing. But aside from a blockage there, your failure is limited solely to the pump.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on carter vs delphi vs gmb vs spectra vs whoever. I haven't heard anything positive about any of them, so I'd go with whatever has the best cost vs warranty length.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it make sense to continue to do any of the other tests?
Like the at least one Pint in 30 seconds, or Feed IP from a bucket?

at least I don't order a liftpump alone (I don't know if they have a "accompany a toddler alone travel" program with the airline he travels with?

:angel: o_O

Oh, before there were people writing about the ventilation of the fuel tank, Am I right in that on top of each tank there should be a "anti roll over valve"?
isn't that supposed to ventilate enough, so that a case of fuel tank vacuum shouldn't be able to produce?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, that is the vent, and eliminate any vacuum. The hose attached to it, could get clogged with dirt, mud, debris or a friendly mud dobber. There is the little plastic piece shoved into the end of the hose that keeps it breathing.

Like the hose vent for the Differential also.

Goat

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it really makes a big difference or not, but I guess I'm just busy, why not?
So I did the "capacity test" today, It should be 1 pint in 30 sec. so I thought?
well, warmed up the engine, it had frozen last night but no problem, she started right away!
and when warmed up I connected my modified hose to the Schrader valve, and prepared to do the test.
well, a bit of a desillusion, with the engine running, just a miserable little stream poured out, it hardly covered the bottom of my container.
so defenitley not 1 pint!
big fail!

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you can see which is the new one?
I do wonder, that long lever, it's different between the old and the new one.
Does it make a difference in it's function?
all other connections are the same.
at this point I stopped anyway, it's raining cat's and dog's over here!

Attachments

• IMG_7572.JPG
    IMG_7572.JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 12

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both levers work, no difference.
Just make sure the arm is under the Cam
when you install it.

I changed out the steel pipe to the Filter with a piece of 3/8" hose several years ago.

Which ever one you use, fill the Hose/Pipe with fuel first, and make sure the Filter if full. Cut`s down on air in the system.

Goat

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have experimented with another system, i've put a suction hose from a e-pump on the schrader valve without the insert and fill-up the pump and filter that way.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how can I put this engine (7,3) at TDC?
it seems to be necessary to install the lift pump.

i can't find a description or how to.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not needed. Just tip the end of the rod down slightly to make sure you get under the cam.

James

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, but with all the things installed around, (I'm working from above) and working against the pressure of the spring I find it difficult to get the holes lined up and let the bolts grip.
so I prefer to turn the engine to the TDC. No1 cilinder is pass. side towards the radiator, isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online