Easiest way to do 4x4 conversion?

Jargo

Reaction score
So I have a 86 F350 CCLB Dually 2WD auto that I'm just dying to ZF5 4x4 swap. I know most of the options but I'm looking for opinions on which would be the easiest/cheapest. I have the skills necessary to do the job, but finding time is tough. I may pay someone to do it for me so I'm trying to see which route would be the cheapest if I'm paying labor. I'm not worried about the ZF5 swap beause I'm sure I could do that myself in a weekend. I'm mainly trying to figure out the 4x4 parts.

Option #1
Any D60 I find I will want to completely rebuild. I can get one for $400-700. Would probably have shop rebuild it. Want new springs and all other new parts for the best ride quality possible. Not sure on total parts cost. Labor on this setup would probably be cheaper than option #2.

Option #2
Complete front/rear axle swap from a 08 F350 chassis with wheels/tires, springs, breaks, everything needed for $1600. These parts would probably not need a rebuild due to lower miles. Also would give ride quality and breaking increase. Custom fabbing required....big $$$$?? Not sure where I'd even find a shop to do this work.

What do you guys think? I'd like to have this done by November.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually 08 axles only need minor fab work.
your 2wd is coil fronts.
so is 08 4wd
cutting the arm brackets off the 08 is needed, and can be bolted into place.
altho i would weld it, and reinforce it.

the rearend is a cut grind and weld job, if the spring perches dont match.

doing a 4wd from 2 wd on the front is gonna need fab work when using a leaf sprung frontend.

Jargo

Reaction score
You're right that they're both coils, I didn't even think it would be so easy then. I guess its sorta a no brainer to go that route then, right? Are there any write-ups that you know of, or should I just dive into it?

Jargo

Reaction score

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the 08 axles is probably the same amount of work, but with a better (and way cooler) end result.
FWIW I did see one guy with a Bronco that did this swap and kept the stock coil buckets. They didn't line up perfectly, but the coil springs aren't very picky...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for the '08 parts! Better ride, better handling, way better braking (rear discs), and if you choose not to mess with the coil towers quite a bit less work as well. The only reason we didn't go that way with our IDI truck was the cost involved, in the sense that we got a screaming deal on a kingpin D60 that needed very little maintenance, whereas everyone else wanted a small fortune for a matched pair of newer DRW axles.

By the way if you wanted decent ride out of a leaf-sprung front end you'd be in need of a reverse shackle setup ("RSK"), that's an easy few hundred bucks hit on your budget. And, surprise surprise, AFAIK no one makes a kit for the open C-channel frames like what you got, so you'll be either boxing your rails or modding the RSK crossmember or both. Take a look at what Dieselcrawler did with his truck, that's what you'd be doing (or having done by a shop) as well if you went with the leaves...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say I cant resist....
Buy one. LOL
Coils seem to flex anr respond more on the trail( given proper design) leafs on my junk.
I am watching this one.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock 05+ Suspension doesn't articulate well at all. BUT, any of the aftermarket 4 link kits could be bolted on once the swap is done.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say I cant resist....
Buy one. LOL
Coils seem to flex anr respond more on the trail( given proper design) leafs on my junk.
I am watching this one.

You can't buy a factory 4x4 dually pickup until 1999 or somewhere close to that.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah but they weren't "factory made" blah blah blah. Supposedly you would order it, it would get sent off to a conversion place to make it a dually, then it's be shipped back to the dealer and you would pick it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ford did not make a factory 4x4 Crew Cab Dually with a pickup box (bed) until the Super Duty in 1999. They made 4x4 duallys, but not Crew Cabs....

For example: Goldie (Ron's truck (Dsl_Dog_Treet)) was a Crew Cab 4x4 SWR when it left the factory. It was converted to Dually with Arrowcraft adapters long before Ron bought it........

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 4x4 conversion on my 1991 SRW truck. Its tough but I had a 1990 donor rig. It takes a lot of grinding and cutting. I think you have to drill 21 half inch holes in the frame. Cut the frame horns on the front to mount the leaf spring hangers. I did mine in 3 days but I did a lot of prep work in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online