4x4 Conversion

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also go with a Torsen limited slip, since it's a bit more refined than the old school detroit-style ratcheting lockers. A bit more expensive but still easier and cheaper than a full 4x4 build.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The true-trac is based off the original torsen design.... as is what dodge started using from the factory in the '03+ diesels.

I recommend trying a vehicle with that kind of unit before you commit.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@u2slow , What does your buddy not like about the torsen design? After everything I was reading, and with the snow I encounter I was leaning that way vs selectable/mechanical locker.

While 4x4 sounds cool for my van, the time and money invested for that extra 1%, I was just leaning towards a true-trac and a winch.....but my plans are always being mulled over in my head.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Two buddies actually. One was a bronco 2 and the other a 3rdgen dodge. I got the short answer - not effective. Carries some weight when you drop $500ish on one and take it back out; or willing to drop nearly $1k to upgrade from OE when it's not even broken.

Both guys drive stick and had lunchbox lockers previously.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two buddies actually. One was a bronco 2 and the other a 3rdgen dodge. I got the short answer - not effective. Carries some weight when you drop $500ish on one and take it back out; or willing to drop nearly $1k to upgrade from OE when it's not even broken.

Both guys drive stick and had lunchbox lockers previously.
X2 try things out, lockers are a topic that alot of people have alot of opinions online and many times online people are just repeating what someone said or they watched on a YouTube video.

I have and have used Detroit, grizzly, lunchbox in a current 10.25, lunchbox in an 8.8, ARB selectable front and rear d60 and GM 14bolt. I never had an issue or complaint with locked rear in the snow. But that’s me.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I grew up driving an '87 Caprice Classic in SD winters, and never had an issue with RWD only.

I cannot afford to experiment with that kind of money, so I will definitely just lean more locked, and then determine mechanical vs selectable.

@hacked89, I would think PA gets lots of ice under the snow storms as well, so I would think you get the worst weather combination.

My 24 valve is standard, but will leave the van auto. Is having auto a bad combo with a mechanical locker?

I prefer standard, my commuter is a 5-spd swapped passat TDI and I love using engine braking, especially in adverse conditions.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only word of caution with mechanical locker is that you can feel axle shaft load “wind” up and off if you are towing heavy or bad conditions on highway speeds you want to be careful. Non heavy towing and non highway speeds snow/ice/whatever no issue I like it better than open.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
My 24 valve is standard, but will leave the van auto. Is having auto a bad combo with a mechanical locker?

Funny you ask. All my locked trucks were manual. Then I put a lockright in my auto ramcharger that I use around the yard, move trailers, etc. That was a dud - it never unlocked and may as well have been a spool.

I know it wasn't a bad locker because I swapped the whole axle to another truck (manual) where it works like it's supposed to. So for a 4wd automatic 'yard-tug', the most aggressive traction I can use is some kind of posi/LSD.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The true trac has had reports of being hyper sensitive at times. Then reading a few more lines along it works quite nicely in the larger trucks such as Crew cab. I gave mine a test both going up a hill with 3 nasty hair pin curves on it, fun part of that road is a cliff wall on one side and a 200' drop on the other.
It went up without a glitch.
Another test was on wet roads in the center of a 8 lane intersection with no traffic around me.
I stomped on it get the back end to break free as I was turning. The back end locked up fast enough and put me in the center of two lanes going my direction. I was happy no one was around me for that test.
Knowing that I would typically have a camper on the back for additional traction and a very low first gear with the Allison tends to make 4X4 useless on most of my driving. Even on a moss covered wet boat ramp.