Easiest 4x4 conversion?

bumblebeer

Reaction score
I've been looking a while for an idi with a 5 speed 4x4 that's in decent shape. With a decent price. Haven't had any luck. So I'm seriously considering buying a truck with the intention of doing a 4x4 conversion.

I was wondering what would be the best truck configuration to start with.

F-450 (super duty) are plentiful 'round here and generally in good shape. Probably cause they're built like tanks. The prices are usually reasonable to boot. I know they already have the 4x4 transmission. But finding a 10 lug front axle seems to be nigh impossible. So I'd be looking at replacing front and rear axles. Or have mismatched wheels. Then I'd need to actually get new wheels for the 8 lugs. And... I'd need to use an after market parking brick (not a typo :sly). Etc, etc, seems to kinda snowball.

On the other hand, there is an '87 f-350 nearby with a zf5 that looks to be in really good shape. And as I understand it, that last year of the 6.9 is about as good as idis get. I read somewhere that the 4x4 and 2x4 frames are exactly the same. Would it be as simple as riping the front end out of a '87-'97 and bolting straight in? Then of course I'd still need a 4x4 zf5, transfer case, and driveshafts. I don't mind a lot of take this out put this in kinda work. I just don't want to get into a bunch of fabrication.

Having said all that, I do realize I would be much better off just to wait and find a 5 spd 4x4 like I want. But think about all the fun I could be having driving around in my idi to look at parts and donor trucks to make the conversion happen! :rock:

Thoughts, experiences, and attempts to talk me out of this are all welcome!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything within the same generation is dead simple. Anything within the neighbor generations is also relatively simple.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
10-lug for a D60 is literally a hub swap, or adding adapters. The hubs are obsolete however.

How heavy is the intended usage? The C&C is a stronger frame for sure. The local marina here folded up a '93 F350 pickup frame hauling boats. A F450 rear axle also outclasses any 350 axle you swap in.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The frames are in fact not the same. Front axles are built with pedistals for coil springs on 2wd, and leafs for 4x4. The way the leaf attaches at the front is boxed in, on the 2x4 frames it's an open end frame.
Many have welded and boxed in the front to do 4x4 conversions, it's totally possible.

Here are some photos I took years ago when I was considering doing the same thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Back around 97-01 my boss converted a number of 2wd OBS trucks to 4wd to make the coveted f350 4wd supercabs. Also did some f450 4x conversions.

It's not that hard.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The obs frames were boxed in from factory for easier conversion. The front ends of the frames are different between the bricknoses and obs.
I agree it's not hard, but will require some fab work for the spring perches. The rear spring perches simply drill holes and bolt on.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
10-lug for a D60 is literally a hub swap, or adding adapters. The hubs are obsolete however.

How heavy is the intended usage? The C&C is a stronger frame for sure. The local marina here folded up a '93 F350 pickup frame hauling boats. A F450 rear axle also outclasses any 350 axle you swap in.

Yep, the problem seems to be in finding the hubs. :dunno Don't like the idea of running adapters.

It'll be used as a farm truck. Which is why 4wd is really not optional. The mud on the property is no joke. Mostly it will be used for hauling equipment, produce, feed, fertilizer, etc. Usually 2,000lbs or so. Occasionally may need it for heavier loads ~4-6k. Also will occasionally tow a tractor with it, maybe 10-12k with trailer, more if I'm loading implements with it too.

Luckily I'm in Bama! So as long as I stay off the interstate, I don't have to worry about weight ratings. As long as the truck can handle it.

The frames are in fact not the same. Front axles are built with pedistals for coil springs on 2wd, and leafs for 4x4. The way the leaf attaches at the front is boxed in, on the 2x4 frames it's an open end frame.
Many have welded and boxed in the front to do 4x4 conversions, it's totally possible.

Here are some photos I took years ago when I was considering doing the same thing.

Thank you for the info. That looks like more than I want to get into. Like I said, kinda afraid of the fabrication. Don't think I'd trust my half-ass welding skills with something as important as holding the front suspension together.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
The obs frames were boxed in from factory for easier conversion. The front ends of the frames are different between the bricknoses and obs.
I agree it's not hard, but will require some fab work for the spring perches. The rear spring perches simply drill holes and bolt on.

So that would include everything from '87 to '97? Meaning I could grab a front end or donor truck from any of those years for a more or less dill and bolt on conversion? That doesn't sound bad at all! Drilling is fine. I just don't trust my welds unless there is a lot of thickness and surface area...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I believe the obs frames are boxed, but still don't have the hole for the spring shackle, but I imagine that'd be easy to put in. The rear spring pivot mount is simple drill and bolt in, it mounts in from the bottom of the frame.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not want to do any fabrication, sky off road design makes a front shackle reversal kit that you can use to install the front axle in a 2wd. It does give you a slight lift also.

They have some other stuff also.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Yep, the problem seems to be in finding the hubs. :dunno Don't like the idea of running adapters.
Ford has used front dually adapters since '99. Dodge since '94 and Chevy since '88. I don't see the problem.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I can drill a hole... :rolleyes: I never said that I couldn't box the frame, just that I'm not confident with it. Me and my Lincoln buzz box like to stick to slow moving equipment. But I do appreciate your input. Figuring out what I'm getting into before I sink money was the reason I made the thread.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I can drill a hole... :rolleyes: I never said that I couldn't box the frame, just that I'm not confident with it. Me and my Lincoln buzz box like to stick to slow moving equipment. But I do appreciate your input. Figuring out what I'm getting into before I sink money was the reason I made the thread.
My first demo derby car i flux cored the safety bars and broke them during a hard hit. I then went to night school for stick and oxy and have much more confidence in my stick welding. I’m sure your tombstone and some 7018 can do more than you feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online