4x4 Conversion

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a question related to super-duty axle swaps: Is it possible to install the rear wheel hubs from a super duty axle onto an older 10.25? In other words, keep your rear axle and only swap the hubs to have matching 8x170 wheel patterns front and back?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a question related to super-duty axle swaps: Is it possible to install the rear wheel hubs from a super duty axle onto an older 10.25? In other words, keep your rear axle and only swap the hubs to have matching 8x170 wheel patterns front and back?
I do not think so. That would be a way to get disc brakes also, and putting discs on a Sterling is not that easy.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do wish these were in Australia, the only old f-trucks here are 5.8L gasers and the gov will not comply conversion, I believe only 6 IDI models ever were approved here n the few I’ve seen for sale now have the newer power stroke engines in them. The 7.3 IDI won’t fit in our aussy utes it’s too wide n even then we can’t rego them,
Yea, but don't you guys have the cleveland style Ford engines? Nice cylinder heads with large canted valves that can make some power?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Built not bought =$$$
Bought not built=$$
Fwiw
$16k
And $7k
Both equal in gearing ect.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

173:1 and195:1
#1 I know what I built/got...
#2 I sold..
Food 4 though.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hubs on a 10:25 stick out farther.
The Hubs on a Super Duty are shorter.

Goat

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
If all you are worried about is Boat Ramps, Put a Limited Slip Differential in the rear end. Save a Lot of Time, Money and Work. You will be fine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yea, but don't you guys have the cleveland style Ford engines? Nice cylinder heads with large canted valves that can make some power?
Those were good engines. They were sold in Australia fir several more years than there were here too.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s the one, but they won’t run on wmo and unleaded here is $2L and them things drink lots of it. Nice motor, lots of power, sound tough buuuuut needs the servo

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
, but they won’t run on wmo
This is basically how I approach vehicles these days. My wife can have a gas burner, but she really doesn't go anywhere. When i find a diesel lawn mower on the cheap, it's going to be awesome!
I am so spoiled to this fuel.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is basically how I approach vehicles these days. My wife can have a gas burner, but she really doesn't go anywhere. When i find a diesel lawn mower on the cheap, it's going to be awesome!
I am so spoiled to this fuel.
Well it just makes sense too me too go this path, I’m preparing for them wanting to completely control us n going to set up a big genset so if I got to charge my electric Ute with there over priced grid supplied electricity I’ll just burn wmo in genset n charge off that. But until then 6.5L of oil burner will do just nicely

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Check the bearing sizes and spacing. Its been a while, but believe the SD bearing size is smaller and the spindle shorter.

This guy did an E350 disc swap because there was no other easy way...

Some guys drill the SD front hubs for 8x6.5". The 05+ need 17" wheels though.

I find the OBS (and older dodge) SRW rear axles too narrow for my liking, and spacers seem like a bad idea for heavy payloads or towing.

A limited-slip (especially a used one) might not hold on a boat ramp. I upgraded to a Detroit after finding out my LSD would not hold with a load on. (Fwiw, it was nice and tight for unloaded duties.)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the Original Poster:

I finished the E-Locker install this weekend. It's not as big a job or as expensive compared to a full 4wd conversion. However, it still requires some care when setting up the gears. Though the only real setup is to check preload and backlash. Pinion depth is unlikely to require change, if you are keeping the same gears. If you are swapping to a different gear set, then full setup is required.

Anyway, here's what was involved in my retrofit into a 1986 axle:

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you get yourself into this project, doing it sounds good on paper but reality will show it in another shadow. What is your rear diff ratio? 4.10 or 3.79 or some such?
That 4.10 might be your first step. My '94 7.3 CCDually idiT is stock with 4.10 as most DRW trucks seem to be.
If your already runing the 4.10, your next step is going to be dropping in the Eaton Truetrak rear diff.
having a mechanical locking rear diff will make all the difference to begin with.
Take that down to your wet boat ramp and give it a shot before you jump off the deep end.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back again, I am in the process of doing a 4X4 conversion. Along with the fun I am adding an Allison trans to the mix with the Truetrak rear diff and the Elocker front diff in a Dana 60. The 4x4 conversion is overkill 99% of the year. The Allison with the Truetrak is where I should have stopped at.
Now this has become one extremely large money pit.
Beware the rabbit hole.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Be sure you know (or like) what you're getting into with the true-trac.... My buddy didn't like the factory version that came in his 06 dodge 2500. He put in a Grizzly locker instead.