Easiest way to do 4x4 conversion?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock 05+ Suspension doesn't articulate well at all. BUT, any of the aftermarket 4 link kits could be bolted on once the swap is done.
^^^ This! ^^^

From the factory the Superduty coil-sprung monobeam axle is set up much like the rear axle of a medium-duty or larger commercial truck, it is essentially its own swaybar, especially if stiff polyurethane bushings are used where the radius arms connect to it. That's why some folks with aftermarket radius arms made of two tubular links each often disconnect the shorter link on the passenger side when they go offroading, they leave the driver-side links to control axle wrap and the passenger side single link only locates that end of the axle fore-aft.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm about an hour from you and have a mostly rebuilt bj 60. I think it may have come from a dually, would have to check what hubs along with ratio. Have track bar mount and maybe track bar too. Could work something out if you wanted to go the bolt in route.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if you want to come see my conversions, I live on paletown road..... got three convered trucks in my driveway, all bullnose trucks. I also have a buddy in Perkasie that has a 08 axled 87f350.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The first one is a owner conversion. The second one is probably factory, but it's not a pickup and a pickup bed will not fit on it. The third one is also probably a factory cab and chassis truck, not a pickup. They are very different from a pickup. But that's where all the dually dana 60 frontends are coming from for the conversions.

Jargo

Reaction score
if you want to come see my conversions, I live on paletown road..... got three convered trucks in my driveway, all bullnose trucks. I also have a buddy in Perkasie that has a 08 axled 87f350.
That would be awesome, when would be good? Can I hire you to do my swap? I'm getting married and won't really have time to get to it for awhile, was hoping to have 4x4 before winter. Let me know, thanks

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ This! ^^^

From the factory the Superduty coil-sprung monobeam axle is set up much like the rear axle of a medium-duty or larger commercial truck, it is essentially its own swaybar, especially if stiff polyurethane bushings are used where the radius arms connect to it. That's why some folks with aftermarket radius arms made of two tubular links each often disconnect the shorter link on the passenger side when they go offroading, they leave the driver-side links to control axle wrap and the passenger side single link only locates that end of the axle fore-aft.

good to knwo about the mod and takign hte one link off. I am also removing my front away bar as well, since th efornt end doenst articulate much.. full 4 link might be in my plans eventually after a few other projects are completed. I never isntalled the swaybar on the rear, it flexes pretty good.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I am leaving for Colorado Friday and won't be home till next Sunday. I would gladly do yours if mine was finished. It has taken residents in my one bay. If you gather the parts, we could do it in one weekend, getting the axle under it at least. Then you can do the trans/tcase at your leisure. And I believe I passed you Monday night on Stoney garden road. Couldn't tell color, but I know I passed a bull nose crew cab diesel dually. Lol

Jargo

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you could help! I'm picking up a complete 08 F350 rolling frame so I'll have everything axle related that I need. If you can help with the axles I can handle the trans/transfer case myself. I'll help you finish up yours first if that helps at all. I'm excited!

Yes that was most likely me. There are hardly any bullnose CCLB dually's around that I know of. My truck is blue and grey. Send me a PM with your phone number if you don't mind. I don't get on the forum too much. Thanks!

Jargo

Reaction score
So I never got my 08 axles. I'm on the hunt again for some. Can anyone tell me what year ranges will work? Which years are the same, is it 2005-2008, then 2009-2011, and 2012-2016?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant tell you exactly for sure, but I do know 08+ have longer rear leafs if that matters to you. Front axel si the same to at least 2011.
sorry i cant be of more help.

Jargo

Reaction score
No problem. I know the rear leafs are too long and I'll need to use 99-04 leafs. If anyone can point me in the right direction to finding out info about the axles I would really appreciate it. Found a great deal on some 2014 axles.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^if its a great deal buy em, and adapt as necessary. Id bet money nothing has changed on the front axle.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If you want the easy way out I still have the dually BJ D60.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK....

99-04 F-250, F350 - Leaf Sprung Front D-50 Mono-beam, Leaf Sprung Sterling 10.50 Rear

00-05 Excursion - Leaf Sprung Front D-50 Mono-beam, Leaf Sprung Sterling 10.50 Rear

05-07 F-250, F-350 - Coil Sprung Front D-50 Mono-beam (it is slightly different than the 99-04 Leaf Sprung), Leaf Sprung Sterling 10.50 Rear (I believe they have larger brakes than the 99-04, as the stock rim size is larger 17" or 18", vs 99-04 16")

08-10 are the 6.4 trucks, not sure of what changes on them, still coil front, leaf rear

11-Present - 6.7 Trucks, again not sure of changes, still coil front, leaf rear

On a side note - the easiest way to do a 4x4 conversion, buy a 4x4 truck.......... but I know that's not what you are looking for.......

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
OK....

99-04 F-250, F350 - Leaf Sprung Front D-50 Mono-beam, Leaf Sprung Sterling 10.50 Rear

00-05 Excursion - Leaf Sprung Front D-50 Mono-beam, Leaf Sprung Sterling 10.50 Rear

05-07 F-250, F-350 - Coil Sprung Front D-50 Mono-beam (it is slightly different than the 99-04 Leaf Sprung), Leaf Sprung Sterling 10.50 Rear (I believe they have larger brakes than the 99-04, as the stock rim size is larger 17" or 18", vs 99-04 16")

08-10 are the 6.4 trucks, not sure of what changes on them, still coil front, leaf rear

11-Present - 6.7 Trucks, again not sure of changes, still coil front, leaf rear

On a side note - the easiest way to do a 4x4 conversion, buy a 4x4 truck.......... but I know that's not what you are looking for.......

In at least 99-07 F350, I thought those were Dana 60 axles. The F250 were D50.

And if you had an 05-07 gasser F350 truck/V10 with the heavy towing package (4.30 ratio) you got the "Super 60" front that came on the F450/550 of that era. Anybody agree with that?