Door sticker GVWR vs. Centurion dually conversion?

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what I can legally haul with my '88 f250 Centurion dually conversion

My door sticker says
GVWR 8800
FAWR 4410
RAWR 6084

How do those numbers compair to a f350 dually. I'm wondering if my door sticker is the original f250 and if so, am I stuck at that rating even though the rear axle has been upgraded?

I am considering using it for a hotshot truck, and ill want to be legal.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Co. State d.o.t.
Call for info.
The eng trans combo all fa tor in.
Your issue is the door sticker is god till it is re certified.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly my 93 dually says 10000 GVWR , can't remember the others with out going and looking.

My 91 does as well. 10,000 GVWR

You're stuck by the sticker unless you can take it somewhere and get it recertified for a higher weight rating. I don't know anything about the specifics but I have reason to believe it can be done if inspected by the proper government agency. However if the vehicle would meet the higher ratings, I would imagine Centurion would have dealt with that at the time of modification.

Basically, you're stuck going by the sticker. You might get lucky and find out otherwise but if you get pulled over DOT is going directly for that sticker to see if you're overweight. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out here if your "centurian thingy as it was NOT built by an upfitter" rig does not have an upfitter verification affixed the door tag is god.
Find an upfitter shop and see?!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
For an upfitter to apply their own certification, it normally has to be manufactured as an 'incomplete vehicle' (i.e. cab & chassis) and they only do it when new... certainly not 30 years down the road. Everything deteriorates over time.

For personal/recreational purposes, I would probably have that decal go missing, and make sure your tires and insurance are up to the task. The difference between F250 and F350 pickups is only bolt-on stuff anyway.

For legit, commercial purposes, buy a high-GVWR parts truck with a title, and turn your centurion into the parts donor.

Reactions: Clb

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, if you are in an accident, or DOT, the only thing that matters is the door tag. So, if you are at 9,000 lbs and have an accident, and it goes to court, YOU WILL BE FOUND AT FAULT......

Even if you have 2.5 Ton Rockwells with the assoiciated suspension, you are still limited to what the door sticker says.

Reactions: Clb

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wonder if you can take it to a dealership or dmv have it done that way kind of like those modify rigs that are turned in to hot rods/street rods all that to go get a licence inspected and Vin number change. same thing would apply in your situation.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I am considering using it for a hotshot truck, and ill want to be legal.

Most hotshot guys are into heavier trucks (i.e. F450/550-class). They run out of GVW with a F350, especially older ones as they top out by 10k#.

wonder if you can take it to a dealership or dmv have it done that way kind of like those modify rigs that are turned in to hot rods/street rods all that to go get a licence inspected and Vin number change. same thing would apply in your situation.

By all means, check the various avenues. I know my jurisdiction's hot-rod/collector licensing doesn't allow payload, or commercial use.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to call CO DOT. I would like a bigger truck, but to start out, ill have to start small. I know as long as I dont hook up to a trailer that has a GVWR that would put me over 26k GCWR and I dont overload, ill be ok. Wich limits me but thats ok, I'm starting small. It'll be awhile before I'm haulling loads like that anyways. For now it will be atv's and SxS.

I just want to make sure I dont exceed my legal limits.

And from what I understand

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Its easy to max out something (like the hitch pin/tonque weight) before you get to 26k#.

I get more hassle doing legit stuff with a commercial trailer that I ever get with a *****-fabbed RV trailer, or 2tons in my 3/4-ton. Its not a fair world out there.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill have to call CO DOT. I would like a bigger truck, but to start out, ill have to start small. I know as long as I dont hook up to a trailer that has a GVWR that would put me over 26k GCWR and I dont overload, ill be ok. Wich limits me but thats ok, I'm starting small. It'll be awhile before I'm haulling loads like that anyways. For now it will be atv's and SxS.

I just want to make sure I dont exceed my legal limits.

And from what I understand

If your concern is staying under 26k, you have the best situation you could have. They are never concerned with what the truck is rated to pull, only with the GVWR of the truck and the GVWR of the trailer combination is. So if the truck is low, your trailer can be higher and not go over 26k.

To get into what the truck is rated to pull, you get into engine size, type of transmission, etc. They never seem worried about that, only the GVWR combination rating of the truck and trailer together. Only what the tags on the vehicles say.

Where I work we have a nice bumper pull 14k GVWR trailer. Problem is, all the small dumps and dually pickups that pull that trailer easily most people there can't drive. All of our dually trucks and small dumps have a GVWR of at least 13k. That plus the 14K trailer puts the combination at 27K and no one has a class A license except just a few people. So what happens? I have a SRW f350 I use to haul all my supplies and tools around in. It has a GVWR of 11K on the door sticker. So my truck with only single rear wheels, weighed down with all that junk in it, can use that nice trailer to haul our skid steer around, since the combination comes out to 11K + 14K = 25K. It's stupid, but some laws are.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@franklin2 I didnt think of that.
I figure if max is. 26000
And truck GVWR is 8800
That puts me at. 17200 for trailer and freight.
And to be safe use a trailer with a GVWR of 15000-1700 and never over load. A gooseneck At 1700 lbs with 15% tounge weight 2550 of bed weight. Truck will handle that just fine. But that would be max and it will be awhile before I'm to that point. Assuming my math is right and I understand the law correctly?

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rethinking... When I hauled my mother inlaws 35' 5th wheel, the combined weight was 19,280. Fr axle was 3780, re axle was 5400, and trailer axles were 10,100. Power wise truck was maxed, but that was before the new IP, injectors, and Elec l.p. Chassis wise she pulled just fine. Maybe I wont even want to pull 17000 lbs. I haven't pulled anything sense doing the fuel system upgrades so I'm not sure if its possible.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have a SRW f350 I use to haul all my supplies and tools around in. It has a GVWR of 11K on the door sticker.

Thats a very nice GVWR for a SRW. :Thumbs Up

Are you counting the 10% tongue weight the trailer adds to the truck? And is your receiver rated for that; using the required hitch type? (i.e. weight-distributing torsion bar setup).

I am playing devil's advocate here somewhat... all the details count when you're required to stop at the scales. Its the main reason I try to stay out of the commercial leagues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online