'94 idiT Dually hydro brake swap and rear disc conversion advice sought

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feb '94 idiT Dually Crewcab.
In the long term process of doing a hyroboost conversion when I get my round "Tuit" button.
Currently the beast is in the paint shop and that is going south.
On the hydro-boost conversion, The metal bar/rod between the master cylinder and the booster~~~
Is that the same on both set ups? Or do I need a different one for the hydro set up?
The next problem being....
The rear axle.
I would LOVE to have rear disc from a (?) you tell me.
Can I then swap in my old 8X6.5 axles to keep my Alcoa wheels??
I suppose i also need to swap in the rear diff also.
Might be a good time to upgrade the rear diff to a (?)
No, this does NOT need welded spider gears. Basically a highway truck with a trip to a slippy boat ramp or wet grass. Stock is not quite cutting it.

The wife is ready to shoot me on this truck.
I am soon to stop counting the money. She is still counting.
Now it is just a white elephant.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The metal rod between the booster and master cylinder is completely different between vacuum boost and hydro. You'll need the hydro specific rod.

I can't comment on the disk conversion. From what research I did I couldn't see any point to spending the money on it, lot's of cost for not a whole lot of gains.

I have heard some of the vans had the older style lug spacing with disk brakes, so you may be able to do something with that, but I haven't heard of anyone who actually did it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a post someone put up that there's a place selling them, but I don't recall who. A search might turn up an answer for that.

Otherwise I'd look around on eBay. I feel like I might have seen them posted at one point.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses.
I just found out the 6 speed Allison trans mod is about $10/12K. That probably won't happen.
Rolling money pit is about done and not quite what i desired.
It's close. . .

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. That takes care of one very large problem.
Now to find out what I can about a rear axle swap.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
A 99+ E350 cutaway will have a comparable width D70u with discs, parking brake, and 8x6.5" pattern. (I have an '02ish one for reference)

A 96+ E450 cutaway will ave a D70HD or D80 that's 3-4" wider - also 8x6.5" and disc, but no parking brake.

The Motorcraft hydroboost (may be discontinued?) came with the pushrod.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 99+ E350 cutaway will have a comparable width D70u with discs, parking brake, and 8x6.5" pattern. (I have an '02ish one for reference)

A 96+ E450 cutaway will ave a D70HD or D80 that's 3-4" wider - also 8x6.5" and disc, but no parking brake.

The Motorcraft hydroboost (may be discontinued?) came with the pushrod.
Yep when I was looking at hydroboost for my truck I tried to find the motorcraft version and everywhere I looked it said discontinued

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a hydroboost unit from. . .Partsgeek I seem to remember.
I just found. . .lugnut4X4 has a weld on disc brake conversion kit for about $770 with vented rotors, park brake, ceramic pads and a wheel spacer for the dually. Might be easier than swapping over a rear end.

"A 99+ E350 cutaway will have a comparable width D70u with discs, parking brake, and 8x6.5" pattern. (I have an '02ish one for reference)"
What is a "Cutaway"?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Box-van, cab & chassis... 'cutaway' is what Ford calls it when its a van chassis.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update,
A real fast search on Car-part.com shows about an $800 price tag for the rear end on the low side.
Lugnut4X4 has the dually kit for $770 with all the fancy parts, and no rear axle to pull out.
Hmm. . . A tough decision.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Just an update,
A real fast search on Car-part.com shows about an $800 price tag for the rear end on the low side.

I recommend private ads; CL, FB, etc.

I got my E350 D70u (disc) for ~$350 CDN about 8 years ago. It was already removed.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fun getting old. My brain didn't even think of that. Guess I will add that to my list of things to do.
Not going to work to hard until the smoke blows out of the Northwest. Unfortunately the rains are scheduled to start again next week and that just slows me down a bit more.
Thanks for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online