02/94 F350 4.10 diff rebuild // clutch kit and spiders rec ??

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02/94 crewcab F350 4.10 gears 7.3 idiT.
Chasing my tail, figured out by the bolt count on the diff cover and the vin plate sticker, this is the Sterling rear diff.
Supposedly it is the 10.25 family.
Supposedly it is supposed to be a limited slip, per the application, It don't.
I am looking for a recommendation on spiders and a clutch kit.
I am trying to avoid having to tear it down and apart waiting on parts to show up.
Looking for part numbers and distributors.

Eventually this toy should be changed over to a 4X4 conversion with the Dana 60(?) solid front axle.
Thanks for your time!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have no time for that Dana trash-lok copy. Mine would hold tight, chirp tires, 2-tire burnouts, etc in an empty truck. Put a ton of anything in it and it was an open diff. I replaced it with a Detroit Locker.

Now I run a lockright in both my 2wd and 4wd Dodges.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure with a ton of weight in the back, I should not have a great need for a posi. The Detroit locker might be an option. I am already about $30 or $35K into this toy and the thought of adding another grand for a posi is not far out of the question with a few exceptions.
One being that after a clutch kit and spiders, I have a rebuilt rear end that should perform to my needs.
This is NOT a dedicated off road vehicle. It is a mud patch here or there and some wet grass along with maybe a patch of ice in the winter.
This is a dually that has a three lane turning radius. It is not going too far of the beaten track. It won't turn in that mess.
I figure I will be about a measly $500 or $600 into rebuilding this diff.
If I replace it with the locker, I will be about $950 or more with a tad bit more labor than I intended and still have a diff that will eventually wear out.
I did pick up an aluminum cover to dissipate heat and Yukon Gear is offering carbon fiber clutches. This truck by and large is NOT a daily driver.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I figure with a ton of weight in the back, I should not have a great need for a posi.
This is NOT a dedicated off road vehicle. It is a mud patch here or there and some wet grass along with maybe a patch of ice in the winter.

The irony is, wet grass was the final reason for the Detroit. ;Really The stock limited-grip thing goes on vacation when you fetch some topsoil, for example.

None of my trucks are dedicated offroad anything. But they do need to be able to get up/down a gravel road or driveway on demand. I just like to get my chores and errands done without stucks.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One being that after a clutch kit and spiders, I have a rebuilt rear end that should perform to my needs.

Do a quick search on the factory clutch plate style limited slip in the Sterling's and you'll find that they are pretty notorious for wearing out quickly and not turning both wheels when you need them to. A Detroit Locker or Eaton TrueTrac offer far better performance, as U2Slow is describing above. You could also consider the factory style electronic (flip of a switch) locker that's a factory option for newer Super Duty's and is getting pretty popular and well documented.

Good luck whichever path you choose.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" notorious for wearing out..." is a true enough statement. Yukon offering the carbon fiber clutches might prolong it's life span. I should contact Yukon and see what they have to say as for anticipated life span.
Eaton True Track or the Detroit might be the way I go.
Now as for the electronic locker on the Super Duty, Okay, now how do I change the wheel bolt pattern to 8 on 6 and get away from the metric? OR, How do I change the Dana 60 front axle over to Metric? I prefer to go to the 8 on 6 and keep the Alcoa wheels.
Suggestions as to a source for the Detroit or the Eaton?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online