cost of E4OD rebuild

F350crew

Reaction score
I have a '93 F350 7.3 aftermarket banks turbo, 4x4 crew truck with E4OD trans. 155K miles on the truck. I am not a mechanic and the transmission needs rebuilt. The Seattle area Transmission shop I took it too says about $4500 for a heavy towing transmission rebuild (shift kit, triple clutch torque converter, new trans cooler). Does this sound about right for a rebuild? Any suggestions on Seattle area shops for a second opinion. Seems crazy to pay 2/3 the cost of what I paid for the truck for a transmission ($6500 7 years. ago). But not to many 7.3 crewcab trucks for under 15K in my area.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Shops who quote insane prices often don't want to do the job and hope you will go somewhere else, but will gladly take your money if you want to pay 2-3x as much for them to do it.

I used "Affordable Transmissions" in Tacoma years ago for a 3spd Geo Metro rebuild. It's a very small shop that's gritty and no frills (at an old former gas/service station). They accidentally caused an invisible crack in the bell housing that leaked badly right away, but they did eat the cost of replacing the bell housing since it was well within warranty (within one week of me getting it back). It had to sit at their shop a while when they kept trying to find the leak before giving up ad replacing the bell housing. I paid $1300 for the rebuilt, so they probably lost out on that job with the extra work (several rebuilds trying to find/stop the leak) and bell housing replacement at their expense. Good customer service though and they did a good job in the end. It was just one of those things that can happen, and why warranty is a thing.

Oh and it was towed for free to their shop because, at the time at least, dunno about now.. they offered free towing with rebuild. So they ate the cost of that too.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yeah it's a ways from Seattle, but if they charge way less, it might be worth it. Look up their reviews on Google maps (4/5 stars with 38 reviews, one being 5/5 from me) and check out how many cars they had there in 2019. That should tell you how popular they are:

You must be registered for see images attach

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last e4od I had built cost me about $1100 bucks, it would have been about half that but it needed all the usual upgrades and I wanted a new solenoid pack. Of course this was done by a retired ford dealership trans builder who does them in a small shop beside his house and I had to pull it myself. All that aside $4500 sounds a lot steep, I think you could buy a good reman transmission online from a reputable company and pay someone to install it for less than that. You may even want to check with your local stealership, I got one for a customer at work from my local dealer for around $2600 and charged $500 to install it so that may be an option

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to Brandon's video above, here's a couple good links to review:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/...rhaul-for-heavy-duty-towing-and-off-road-use/

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?28880-Notes-on-an-E4OD-build-up

Last time I made a list, it looked like 1100-1200 in parts alone if you want one with all the later year updates and a reasonable low stall converter ($330 alone for the converter). I think Monster Transmission is around $2800 for an E4OD, which might be a good option as well.

Good luck whichever way you go, but I'd make sure you get all the updates as the your 1993 E4OD won't have a lot of the better updates (center support bearing/shaft, servo piston, steel planetaries, etc). Build a good one, add a front mount trans cooler and hopefully you'll never have to do it again.

John Scott

Reaction score
About 2 months ago I had mt E4OD rebuilt using the monster in a box kit by a local trans shop with a large cooler for 2400 bucks turn key.... I was quoted from another shop 3200 turn key.... there's a guy in pa who will ship u a HD E4OD rebuilt for 1400 and u can ship him back your old trans....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Building a good slushbox is no different than building a good engine. If you want it done right, it won't be cheap.

If you want a "bullet proof" transmission, the upgrades are what cost money...and most of them are worth it. I personally don't think billet shafts and drums (or cryo-hardening!) are needed for most turbocharged IDIs, but they are available. I recently had my 3 clutch billet converter rebuilt after 13 years and it was like new inside. So I personally think a billet converter is worth it.

The worst part about all of this is you have no way to prove what the transmission builder put inside your case. You simply have to take his word for it. $4500 is on the high side, but after sourcing so many parts for my recent rebuild, it doesn't surprise me. This price likely has plenty of fat hidden inside just in case the repairs turn out worse than expected.

I'd ask for a breakdown list of what you get for that price. If he gets annoyed at such questions - walk away!

BW42

Reaction score
RE -- the Transmission Bench videos -- I'm a retired opera singer, in my 80th year, and I just completed the rebuild on my '93 e4od, non-turbo diesel. Spent about $1200.00 on the rebuild, took my time and about 2-3 hours a day. Transmission runs and shifts better than the last twenty years that I have driven the truck. A lot of work, especially since the tranny weighs 275lbs. It can be done -- never been inside of an automatic tranny except to replace the pump in a GM 2-speed. Won't do it again, esp. at my age -- BW

stevebates

Reaction score
I sadly cannot recommend Monster transmissions. I am Very frustrated with the one I bought. Almost three months to get, then I had to use some of my parts out of my old tranny. The shifter shaft on the tranny I got was not for the style of MLPS that I had. If they knew i would have to pull the pan to change the shaft, the least they could have done was use a re-useable pan gasket. The inside of the new tranny was dirtier than my old tranny. Still have not got it back in service. Too hot in the evenings and I have to get up too early to go to work. I will update when I get it finished. Maybe all is well?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tldr
Fwiw
A t.c and shift kit IS NOT a heavy duty rebuild!
Period.
In ferd od transmission land we have a few with hardened steel\billet guts on here ole Gary and the white and yellow rig that started show us yer idi I think plus a bunch more I hope...
well post #12 SUX to hear!
the core charge from a wrecking yard is probably maybe A 1\3 the cost , add in the full rebuild kit price + shift kit + the converter, shot heads will double this for labor.
Figer +a grand labor ???
watching tis one also

Last edited:

TexasTruck

Reaction score
This will most likely be on my list soon. The truck I have was spitting tranny fluid all over the place one day. I crawled under it and noticed it (the pan) was leaking like a stuck pig. I put a new filter and pan gasket on it but it smelled burnt up. When I refilled it with fluid it actually started working again but I don't know how long that will last. So I am watching this too. I need to rebuild or replace the rear end in my truck as well (Dana80). There's near 1/2-3/4" play in the yoke side to side. The seller said "mechanic special" but I didn't know what I was getting into with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86