Rear axle seals and bearings

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The full-floater is the most common F250 diff. The semi-float usually shows up in the 300 and 302ci trucks.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Cubey,

The Dana axles have always had a drum/hub combo. Our 73 F-250, and someone I knew that had a late 70’s 3/4 Dodge had the drum/hub unit.

All the Sterling axles have a hub, and removable drum (or rotor on the newer 10.50 in the SuperDuty/Excursions). This is the way my Excursion is…. Much easier to service the brakes this way since you only have to remove the drum… those Drum/hub combos are heavy

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Cubey,

The Dana axles have always had a drum/hub combo. Our 73 F-250, and someone I knew that had a late 70’s 3/4 Dodge had the drum/hub unit.

All the Sterling axles have a hub, and removable drum (or rotor on the newer 10.50 in the SuperDuty/Excursions). This is the way my Excursion is…. Much easier to service the brakes this way since you only have to remove the drum… those Drum/hub combos are heavy

Yep. I did brake work on the 78 Dodge B300 I had with a Dana 60 SRW which is the same basic design as my 85 Ford E350's Dana 70 DRW.

cbmech

Reaction score
Just one item of correction on this axle, it is a semi float axle since the flange is part of the axle and not a separate splined to the shaft piece. Full float axles are not very common. The only one I've ever personally seen was on a set of Mack drop ins.
Also the flange gasket is just a place for a leak. A thin layer of silicone leaves you with what is basically a metal on metal seal with the silicone taking up any low spots. I'm a trash truck mechanic and probably every flange leak I've dealt with in the last 30 years had a gasket.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just one item of correction on this axle, it is a semi float axle since the flange is part of the axle and not a separate splined to the shaft piece. Full float axles are not very common. The only one I've ever personally seen was on a set of Mack drop ins.
Also the flange gasket is just a place for a leak. A thin layer of silicone leaves you with what is basically a metal on metal seal with the silicone taking up any low spots. I'm a trash truck mechanic and probably every flange leak I've dealt with in the last 30 years had a gasket.
Not correct. A semi floating axle has the wheel studs attached to the axle shaft. There will also be only one bearing at the wheel end. A full floater will have two. Also the sterling doesn’t use a gasket. It’s an o ring that seals between the hub and axle flange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online