Door sticker GVWR vs. Centurion dually conversion?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't want to haul that much with this truck. I dont like "relying" on the trailer brakes to stop.
I see.
Personally, a cdl isn't that hard. No need wasting time at a driving school.
Get the cdl handbook for your state, study up. You can do the driving test with a pickup and trailer. Many have rentals.
You can get all 4 corner disc by swapping SD axles. You could just do the rear, but the lug pattern is different.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@79jasper dont get me wrong, I like having great working trailer brakes.

That's what I am considering. I read somewhere that I can study up, take a written (pass and I get my permit) then 14 days later I can do the driving test with my truck and a barrowed 14' enclosed.

Ill have to look into axles, but for now my stock ttb 50 is tight and in great shape.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Local community college has one of these driving school programs. Cost's $4000. You can do it yourself, hard part is finding someone to get a truck from to take the test.

I see.
Personally, a cdl isn't that hard. No need wasting time at a driving school.
Get the cdl handbook for your state, study up. You can do the driving test with a pickup and trailer. Many have rentals.

Bizarre. Driving schools here provide the same truck for the road test as I took classes on. My license was for semi-truck (18spd) and 48' trailer w/airbrakes, so that's what you road-test on.

Do shop around. Similar driving programs ranged from $2600 to nearly $10k depending on location. Expensive in rural areas. Much cheaper in the city.

is there any thing I can upgrade when I do the brakes? ... I have seen the posts on doing the hydro conversion. And that I am intereasted in doing. My chevy had them and they were nice.

Nothing to do with weight ratings, but I feel its more important. Brakes are coming up so I might as well ask

Hydroboost is a big win. I did that alone on my '95 F350. Huge improvement.

The 95-97 trucks had slightly larger rotors and a better caliper style than 94-older. The knuckles are different to mount the calipers.

Exhaust brake is another idea.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting a cdl test in a pickup is like kissing your sister....
It is a kiss, but gets you nowhere!
Tag trailer cannot parallel park like a kingpin for one.
That has gotta be one lame ass d.o.t. idea.
Sorry to those who have done it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I watched guys do it with a crew cab chevy 1 ton and gooseneck trailer. Lol they "pretend" it has air brakes, etc to pass.
Maybe it's setting up for failure, but if they only need it for weight classification....
Also seen dumptrucks with pintle hitch trailers. Lol

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon

Well all I can say is that I guess I got kissed!! LOL
I got my real deal reg Dr License a week after I turned 14. This was back in '64 in Texas. Could have got them at 13 under a so called "hardship." (didn't even have to have insurance back in those days, but it was nice to have if 'ya had a chargeable wreck)

Got my Commercial Dr License week after I turned 18. This entitled me to drive anything that had wheels, just couldn't cross state lines (till 21) & couldn't haul passengers (like in a Grayhound bus) Had to be 19 back then to have a Chauffeur's License. About 2 weeks later got caught up in Arkansas with overloaded semi. Stater hollored & screamed at me, told me "get Hell out'a Ar & don't come back till I was 21!"

Took my Commercial test in a 1/2 ton Chev. I had one, but it only had a mirror on dr side, so I borrowed a friends 1/2 ton Chev that had a mirror on both sides. No trailer!! Just the P/U. The test surprisingly was absolutely just like my test at 14. Officer riding with me, turn rt, turn left, fast stop, parallel park, drive round town.

Moved to Or in '90, transfered my license over to CDL. Took 4 written test & provided "statement of experience "from someone I had driven semi for in last yr. (BTW, made 2ea 100's, a 98 & a 96 on tests)

As far as what these F250, F350 will haul, can legally haul, it's a VERY different world now compared to what I have hauled with my '90 F350 thru the '90's & early 2000's! I'd probably get locked up for life x10 if I tried to haul today what I've hauled with mine!!! LOL LOL

And BTW, still have my CDL, even as damn old as I am. just getting harder to pass (fake) my eye & hearing part of my physical every 2 yr!! LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the cdl handbook for your state, study up. You can do the driving test with a pickup and trailer. Many have rentals

Fair warning for anyone reading. AT LEAST in NYS even if you take the test with a pickup and 5th wheel trailer and get your class A you are NOT legally licensed to run a semi. The hitches are very similar but DOT won't give you the correct certification if taken in a pickup. Not something you want to find out while hauling 80k on the interstate!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Fair warning for anyone reading. AT LEAST in NYS even if you take the test with a pickup and 5th wheel trailer and get your class A you are NOT legally licensed to run a semi. The hitches are very similar but DOT won't give you the correct certification if taken in a pickup. Not something you want to find out while hauling 80k on the interstate!
That may be correct, having a restriction.
My point was, if you aren't going to use a semi and never plan to, no point going the full shebang.
Hardest part is the in-cab anyways. Lol

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be correct, having a restriction.
My point was, if you aren't going to use a semi and never plan to, no point going the full shebang.
Hardest part is the in-cab anyways. Lol

Yeah I understand, just wanted to point it out so someone didn't learn the hard way lol.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would prefer to get my class A, but when pinching penny's its hard to spend the money on something I wont utilise right away. I am looking into it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah I understand, just wanted to point it out so someone didn't learn the hard way lol.
I think I'm only in under $100 for my A. Only things I didn't get were doubles, haz, and tanker.
But we aren't required to have it even if we use them. Not required to have the health card either.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And your story about the statie puncuates my statement!

Op
I just noticed you're in hill country....
That 250 is gunna suck, gears, ass and brakes first.
Not really a class 1 (cdl) issue till you break over?10k? So (this may take a few as I have a meeting cooking also)
The walk around for air brakes and all is a pita.
check into the various forms of class 1,a,cdl, whatever they call it today.
Pick the most you will ever need, add an additional class bump for safety. BRb

Last edited:

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. Your F250 has a strong rear axle, but the dually conversion by Centurion on both F250's and F350's that started life as SRW trucks, involved adding a spacer onto each hub. They didn't use a real dually rear axle in the conversion. This effectively moves the weight bearing of the wheels away from the true hub. I am converting my '87 F350 4X4 using a dually rear axle out of an '88. Of course, this doesn't change the door sticker issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle