Darrin's running hot and burning oil in NE

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once it gets on the drums it really runs thru the jungle in a hurry. Someone may well have lost something and now has an MT BAG......:fan: :fan:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
[QUOTI wonder if Darrin washed his face with Lori's underware.][/QUOTE]

A man's gota do wnat a man's gota do,.... and that's all I got to say bout that,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
This may be a long post, if you have time take a read,..

Planes Trains and Automobiles,....I was origionally going to fly out and get the truck muself, but when we found out we could fly out of Chicago to Denver for only $108.00 Lori and I decided we could afford to both go and take our time getting back, spend a couple nights in motels, and make a mini get away out of it. So we rented a car in GR at noon, and headed off to Ohare where we were scheduled to depart at 6:10 PM arriving in Denver at 8:00 thier time. We dropped of the rental, hoped on a shuttle bus and found our way to the airport terminal. We were about 2 hours early. We killed some time, had a nice dinner and were ready to head out. Then we realized there was no plane at our terminal, they changed terminals on us, and of course the flight was delayed, We ended up flying out 1 hour and 20 minutes later than the origional time. I kept in touch with the seller, well call him Mark, so he knew what was going on.

SIDEBAR, Our flight was to be in Denver at 8:10 PM. The morning that we were planning on leaving I got a call Mark, "are you in Denver yet,.." He thought it was an AM flight,..He made 2 trips to the airport that day,..

We Landed in Denver to a Snowstorm at about 9:45 met up with Mark and went out to look at the truck. It looks Great, Sharp paint job, nice Skyjacker Lift, It is one touigh truck. As I was looking I noticed there was no cotroller for the Gearvenders OD Unit, I flashed my light under the truck,...NO OD UNIT,..I asked were it was and he said there is 5 gears and it was bolted to the back of the T_Case, I geve him the flashlight, and pointed out the back of the t-case and nothing else.

Turns out the 5th gear that he was "feeling" was the Torque converter locking. Maybee it was installed between the trans and t-case, craweled under the truck and there was nothing.

At this point I just told him I would take the truck, see how it goes and I will contact him when I got home to see what to do about the truck. I figure it is worth a $1,500.00 deduction.

We headed out of the parking garage, since it was parked all day there I had to pay the $20.00 to get it out of the garage, this is after giving him $30.00 for his inconvience of having to go to the airport twice.

No were traveling in a snowstorm, in a dually with bald rear tires, Ice and Show on the highways, and not much visibality. The truck ran fine, no problems. He had left me with 6 quarts of 40 WT oil that he has been using, I think to cover up the knock in the motor, it was slight but it was there. We traveled untill about 1AM Denver time (3AM our time,..long day),

We found a motel and crashed, It was then that I realiized, it was 8 deg, what if this thing doesn't start in the morning. Earlier I asked him how it does when it is cold, he says "allright, but it hasn't been this cold yet.." Very Comfortning.

At 6AM I woke up and decided to go start the truck hoping there was a little warmth in it yet. The GP light was on for about 5 seconds and started ckicking fast, I cycled them again, and if fired right up,...COOL! I let it run for a while, and we left the motel at 7:30. Our plan was to drive about 10 hours, stop for a nice dinner, and spend some quality time in a nice motel. That would leave about a 6 hour drive home on the last day.

I checked the oil before leaving and had to put in 4 quarts. The roads were still show covered form the night before but once we got in Nevade they cleared up and we were crusing about 75 MPH. This was the first time I was able to get on it from a dead stop and see how it ran now that we had dry roads. I was a real strong runner, I was overall inpressed with the performance.

About an hour and a half I noticed the oil pressure guage flickering, I kept an eye on it, for a couple of miles and pulled off at the next exit. Once at an Idle, the guage dropped, no oil pressure. I had to add 8 quarts of oil.,....Now we got problems,...

This happened one more time, I added 5 more quarts. During this time the engine light came on, but it was not overheating. What I believe it was doing, it was consuming the oil for fuel, and overheating the EGT.s and toasted the combustion chambers. The power was falling off, the motor was rattlling, and I pulled off the side of the highway.

Heres something interesting, The whole way throught Nevada we had NO Cell phone signal NONE,...The truck died on the highway, as it died,...AS it died, and came eriely quiet to a stop,. I heard my cell phone beep,...we had signal :hail

Opened up the hood and I could hear the rad fluid boiling but it was not showing up on the guage. I called Ken he said let it cool down and try it again.I called Ron and let him know what was going on. We sat there for about 1/2 hour, and started it up. It didn't sound good, I made it about one m ore mile, it died again, and that was the end of that. We tried to let it cool again but to no avail. The tow truck came pretty quick but we still were on the side of the road for about 2 hours, making phone calls and waiting.

The truck was flatbedded into Grand Island, we were just happy ride in the tow truck where there was heat. Wind chill was about 5 degrees. We got dropped off at a truck stop and I made arrangments with the manager to keep the truck there untill we could go back and get it.

Now it is about 3:30, we didn't have any lunch yet and were stuck at a truck stop in Nebraska. Our plan was to rent a car, and get on with our trip, I would deal with the truck later. Only probblem was there were no rental cars avaliable, The storm that came through the day before caused a lot of accidents, and all of the rentals were gone.

Lori said she would ride home in a U-Hual..that would have been $700.00,..She then suggested a bus, I am thinking yea right, what are the odds there is a bus leaving Grand Island Nebraska, headed to Grand Rapids, MI. Well aparently pretty good, There was one leaving at 5:00, Looked at my watch,...4:15. Now We have to get to the bus station about 7 miles into town, and we have no car.

I saw the manager headed out to his car and told him what was goin on, He said he didn't have time to give me a ride but to go to the counter and she will give me the number for a Taxi. I called the Taxi, he was too busy and could not guarentee that he could make it there by 5,...

Now What, time is getting short, I spot a nice older couple sitting there finishing ther coffie. I approached them, told them what was going on,.....

TO be continued,......

My Brother and I are taking off tonight to head back Grand Island and pick up the truck. I will continue the story when I get back tomorrow night,..

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP AND PAYERS!

Later

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Man this guy sounds like a real upstanding kinda guy... I mean it may have just been bad luck (truck died along the way)... Let's look at this way... You were expecting a OD unit (none) then he sends the truck off with extra oil.... hummm something just doesn't sound straight you know what I mean... Why would you send off a truck or any vehicle with extra oil if you didn't either expect it to use it or you knew dang good and well it will need it before it hits the state line...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Travis.. My thoughts also. Being a Monday morning quarter back isn't really fair but some signs did come up like not knowing the GV wasn't under the truck. I'm hoping that those of us on this forum would know the differance in an GV od and a torque converter locking up. I can see sending your truck off with spare parts, oil and "things" without thinking something is wrong here so I'm not comfortable with thinking this guy "set em up" just yet. Way too many unanswered questions for a rush to judgement. Having just been in the same shoes with plenty of aftermarket gages telly me nothing was wrong I burned down my new motor at 5200 miles because I didn't feel anything was wrong except the "check engine lite" came on way too early. Funny thing was its in the head and the coolant pickup sender is really kinda close to it. The mechanical gage said 225 or 230 but the other "lite" said "ITS WAY TOO LATE GARY". So driving down the way its better to pull over and sniff around under the hood when something is telling me somthins not right...... Just my sorry excuse for burning up a motor thats all....:frustrate :popcorn

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man Darrin, This is like leaving us in the middle of the season ending show, I will be waiting for the rest of the story!
Bummer

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
argve said:
hummm something just doesn't sound straight you know what I mean...

Thinking the same thing talking to Darrin the other day and Trav yer name came up.:eek:
I'm thinking that yer not the only one that can smoke an IDI.:D

Darrin, I'll keep the cell on case ya need some more help.

Have a safe trip and DON'T bring back anymore of that white stuff.:backoff

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with shipping off oil.
When I sold my 300/6 f150, I sent off a case of oil, three filters, and buckets of parts. about 6 tires too.
I mean, heck, I wasn't going to use a pcv valve, 15inch tires, or 10-40w motor oil in my 7.3

either way, I'd consider hauling the truck back to the owner, and seeing if I can fire it up long enough to run the sob over..... (least thats how I'd feel).

Good luck darrin, you're obviously a better/more patient man than myself.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Just a quick update, We made it back from Nebraska last night about 11:30PM. We took Dave's PSD, Man that thing pulls awesome! No problems on the trip.

I will get back with the "rest of the story" Later this evening,

Gotta go for now,

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pssssssssst!!!! It's later tonight now, and still no update? We wanna know what the seller said!

Ryan