build up under valve covers

dogitch

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the process of doing valve cover gaskets, and noticed oil build up at Passenger side- (of course). Rockers are tight, is this valve seals? I haven't removed anything yet. Just wanted to see if anyone has run into this.

Thanks Chad

Attachments

• aug2008Chads truck 005.jpg
    aug2008Chads truck 005.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 52

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Towkitty not to step on yer tows or anything but it's only one side that he is having a problem with.

Dogitch ,

I ran into that once on the Enterprise and it was valve seals. What triggered me to start checking valve seals was the fact that it was only on one side vs both sides which indicate to me oil change intervals or bad oils used as Towkitty mentioned.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Wow man, that much buildup only on one side and not the other, I'd also have to say valve seals.

dogitch

Reaction score
Thanks, just wanted to confirm what I thought. It's just one more thing to do to this truck. Where in Neb are you from

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys got a point there, but if the seals failed like that, the guides aren't in much better shape and that's impending doom especially for our motors.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
No kiddin there calvin. It probably wouldnt hurt a thing to pull that head and have it rebuilt.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
very good point TK.

So while yer at it you might as well pull both heads and give her a full up valve job.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help me understand why that crudy oil build up is caused from "valve seals" ??? If there was large oily deposits on the intake valves then I would say yes...bad seals.
I've seen that first hand from neglected engine owners that just did'nt like to change oil, more or less just kept adding oil when needed.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Help me understand why that crudy oil build up is caused from "valve seals" ??? If there was large oily deposits on the intake valves then I would say yes...bad seals.
I've seen that first hand from neglected engine owners that just did'nt like to change oil, more or less just kept adding oil when needed.

As Calvin said, it's most likely worn out valve guides, the seals are a secondary victom here. In most cases on these things, the exhaust side, which is where most of the pressure would be that would excape through there, the valve stem seals are simply umbrella seals intended to shed oil. In most cases there are no positive seals on the exhaust valve.

When the guide wears, the valves wobble around and continue to wallow the guides out worse and that allows the gasses to easily escape past the guides and the extra hot gqasses bake the oil in that area to a nice nasty crust.
If it were on the intake side, same thing can happen, but usually because of air being drawn past the intake valve guide on the intake stroke, if the seal gets worn out after the guides wobble around, it will cause oil to get drawn into the combustion chamber . About the only time the intake guides/seals would cause that kind of mess is if the guides were so hammered that the valve was not seating during the combustion stroke which would allow gasses to blow by the intake seals.

either way, the seals are a secondary symptom

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Calvin said, it's most likely worn out valve guides, the seals are a secondary victom here. In most cases on these things, the exhaust side, which is where most of the pressure would be that would excape through there, the valve stem seals are simply umbrella seals intended to shed oil. In most cases there are no positive seals on the exhaust valve.

When the guide wears, the valves wobble around and continue to wallow the guides out worse and that allows the gasses to easily escape past the guides and the extra hot gqasses bake the oil in that area to a nice nasty crust.
If it were on the intake side, same thing can happen, but usually because of air being drawn past the intake valve guide on the intake stroke, if the seal gets worn out after the guides wobble around, it will cause oil to get drawn into the combustion chamber . About the only time the intake guides/seals would cause that kind of mess is if the guides were so hammered that the valve was not seating during the combustion stroke which would allow gasses to blow by the intake seals.

either way, the seals are a secondary symptom

Ok I can understand that but...don't ya think (if) the guides were THAT bad the actual running of the engine would be questionable?

I would suggest the original poster to simply remove the rocker and by hand (even with the springs on) try to move the valves.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These things run great till a spring breaks and drops a valve, if you have burnt looking springs ,it is heat past the guide, if the springs wipe clean then you may have nasty oil crust, if you go with it ,pay attention to all noises.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online