build up under valve covers

dogitch

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll probably remove the head and have a job done. Should I might as well do the other side? Other side looks great.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doing both sides is a no brainer. you already have the intake off, you'll be buying a head set, and the other side will have some wear as it is. doing heads can increase compression which could cause an imbalance if only one head is done. you'll also be able to see if you have an abnormal cylinder wear issues needing more attention

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ok I can understand that but...don't ya think (if) the guides were THAT bad the actual running of the engine would be questionable?

You would think the things wouldn't even be running at all by the way some of them have looked when they came apart :eek: . Do a search, there are plenty of threads with pictures , here and the other site , of heads that folks have taken off running engines, many of them the owners didn't even know there was a problem, or there was a minor noise driving them nuts and they pulled the heads to see. On some the valve guides were so worn out that the valve heads had been walking all over the place inside the combustion chamber. If it were a gasser they'd have had flames shooting out of their carbureters with massive backfiring, but for some reason, these beasts just keep plugging along until something gives.