Budget Build Crew Cab Causing Headaches

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well a few years ago my dad bought a 94 Turbo IDI crew cab project that we finally got to putting together this weekend and its just not working out well. First the new block heater started leaking when we put coolant in it, so we sealed that up with silicone around the heater and the clamping bolt. So after that we noticed my dad forgot to install the oil port plug in the side of the transmission bell housing flange, installed the 1/8 pipe plug amd tried to start it. Then the real headaches started, because it didn't. After a few hours of screwing around with the timing and diagnosing a failed glow plug controller it finally started. Only to shut down after less than a minute of running because of a major oil leak from the oil cooler and the block heater leaking again.
I was hoping to get this truck driving this weekend for my dad. Oh well I expected some issues with a $500 budget built engine. lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this Sean.. But at least you had brakes enough to get there and help out. It might be plollyana type thinking but there is always something good found in every issue....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Got the block heater fixed because NAPA wouldn't warranty it. There was no gasket on the bolt, so I don't know how they expected it to seal, and its obvious its a poor design or it was assembled incorrectly. I turned a groove into the bolt face and put an oring on it, welded a nut to the spreader bar and slapped it back in. Works great now. The oil filter was what was leaking, not the oil cooler. It had a defective gasket in it, blew it out, twice. So I'm installing a Baldwin instead of the cheap NAPA one. Got it running again and the thing just doesn't run right, it smoked pure black soot from the exhaust. So I'm thinking theres a serious issue with the injection pump. Its getting there. Not too bad though for a $1000 truck.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok my dad changed the IP and it started up better, but theres something seriously wrong with the oil system. After blowing out napa filters twice I installed a Baldwin and it did the same thing to that one within 30 seconds the oring was blown out and all the oil was poring onto the ground. The oil cooler is rebuilt so I honestly don't know why this thing is doing this. Any ideas?

CountryBoy81

Reaction score
Isn't there a pressure relief valve on the filter block of the oil cooler? If it sticks could it cause this problem? Just a thought Sean. Still lovin the turbo I got from you too man. Hope you get it figured out.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Isn't there a pressure relief valve on the filter block of the oil cooler? If it sticks could it cause this problem? Just a thought Sean. Still lovin the turbo I got from you too man. Hope you get it figured out.

I was thinking something like that as well.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats the thing I checked that valve when I rebuilt the oil cooler, he's checked it once or twice now too. Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause it to over pressurize like that.

Glad you're enjoying the 088 Jason!

Black dawg

Reaction score
did the pressure relief valve get checked? or just the filter bypass valve?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The filter bypas is what you see when the filter comes off. The pressure regulater valve in internal to the rear filter head. Sorry but the colr cooler rear header must come off to free up the valve.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I guarantee the rear cooler header has been washed in a water washer or been really wet and the oil pressure regulator valve is stuck. Pull header, free up the internal plunger. Its rusted.
And if you have any doubts, on da road will chime in when he sees this.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Son of a B!$%. I guess I didn't know there were two different valves. And yes it was boiled out. This is the only one I've ever rebuilt with used headers. I was lucky enough with my other builds to get new headers for them. The one I built for my brown truck was assembled from NOS Ford 94 IDIT oil cooler parts, the barrel on the turbo trucks is noticeably larger than a NA cooler barrel. My brother really lucked out and got a whole NOS assembled unit that a Ford dealer had sitting on the shelf.

Anyway I guess I'll be doing the pry bar header removal on this one too. I can't remember, does the exhaust manifold need to be removed to take that header off? I had to take the rear header off of my brown trucks cooler because of the pipe plugs leaking, but I honestly cant remember if the manifold needed to be removed. I don't recall it needing to be.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
It runs! Doesn't blow the filters up either! HAHA. I think its good for a test drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online