Name the cause

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On my recent trip to Texas, I checked the oil at a gas station in Lampassas, TX. I about flipped out when I saw this. I wasn't going to try to fix this at a busy gas station so I drove to a closed (after hours) tire repair shop at the north end of town and was able to loosen the upper bolt and wiggle the pivot bolt back and tighten it up. I know the solution. Blue Loc Tite, or red if I don't have any blue on hand. This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last few years and it's getting old. I'm just looking for serious reasons why it would keep happening because I've never even heard of anyone else having this issue.

Attachments

• 102_3827.JPG
    102_3827.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 28

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna be checking mine now. ;-)
Good on ya for catching it. Some things slip by when you're tired.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've had that happen before. Ran the bolt back in and retorqued, hasn't happened since then. Wonder if it was just an initial tightening issue.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that happen. I didn`t notice it but a friend did. Was sticking out about an inch. Retightened and all has been good.

I just replaced the belts a few weeks back...HMMM better take a look at it again.

I had the vacuum pump just about fall off a few weeks back when I was up in Reno. Lower bolt fell out and was hanging on upper one and belt went bu by.

I usually always at least check the oil, do a visual for leaks etc... before I start the engine.
Those are two things I now keep a close eye on.

If the Alt Bolt fall`s out, the fan flipping it around will get your attention. At least the top bolt will hold the Alt, but you might lose the Vac Pump belt... it will be a fun time...

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
At least the top bolt will hold the Alt, but you might lose the Vac Pump belt... it will be a fun time...
I actually have a vacuum issue going on right now too. There is a few inches less vacuum in the system going down the highway, the amount drops much farther during braking, the needle on my gauge bounces at an idle, and the vacuum drops pretty quickly when the engine is shut off. The brake assist is still working fine though. I have another vacuum, pump on order right now just in case. I think it may be a hole in a hose, but don't have the motivation to check right now. I'm also not planning to drive the truck very much until I can get the problem fixed. The moral of this part of the story is that I wouldn't know this and wouldn't have been able to have another vacuum pump on order (whether it's needed or will end up as a spare) if I didn't have a vacuum gauge in my truck. THIS is why I preach having a vacuum gauge installed.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have a vacuum issue going on right now too. There is a few inches less vacuum in the system going down the highway, the amount drops much farther during braking, the needle on my gauge bounces at an idle, and the vacuum drops pretty quickly when the engine is shut off. The brake assist is still working fine though. I have another vacuum, pump on order right now just in case. I think it may be a hole in a hose, but don't have the motivation to check right now. I'm also not planning to drive the truck very much until I can get the problem fixed. The moral of this part of the story is that I wouldn't know this and wouldn't have been able to have another vacuum pump on order (whether it's needed or will end up as a spare) if I didn't have a vacuum gauge in my truck. THIS is why I preach having a vacuum gauge installed.

I don`t have a Tach, and have never come across on in the JY`s. And really don`t need one.
When the Pistons are banging on the Hood, time to shift...:idiot:

I install my vacuum gauge where the tach goes.
I have this neat little cutter for the hole that my Dad had. Drill bit (1/4" ?) and an arm with a slider for the cutter bit. Makes a really clean hole in the plastic.
Opened up the back side in the white plastic to run the Vac Line and light. Then it is right in the center, and can`t miss it. I have SW Gauge.

Any one concerned I messed up perfectly good Inst. Assy., I have 4 I dragged home from PNP and would have been crushed by now anyway.

Goat

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever it means to you, without tension or other means, bolts work themselves out due to vibration. For my alternator, that hole is a bit of an interference fit so it can’t undo itself. For yours, you might want to throw a lock washer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86