Blue smoker. Seems like it’s tough to narrow down.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
I have a 1988 f250 idi and it blows some blue clouds when you step on it a little bit.
Clean truck, appears to have been taken care of pretty well. Lower mileage 121000. Hoping to come up with a list of things to try in order from easiest to most difficult. All input will be appreciated.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue smoke is burning oil. Usually from oil getting past the cylinder rings from lack of engine use.
After getting the oil pressure thing figured out, hook up a trailer if possible and find the longest steepest hill you can and drive it hard. Don't be afraid of RPM's, these engines live 2k to redline generally speaking. Make sure your coolant is topped off. If it really is low miles like that, it's done a lot of sitting around.
Whenever you plan an oil change, add Seafoam to the oil 300-500 miles before the change. Make sure you change the filter with the new oil.
Another aspect to smoke is injection timing, which you can't really do without the equipment. So I guess we'll save that for later after you try the above... unless you know someone with a pulse timing meter around you.

Black dawg

Reaction score
This is most likely a timing/ injector type issue. What is the smoke like when started cold?

when these engines are burning enough oil for it to show up as smoke, it is hard to keep up adding oil......

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Something else to consider, make sure your CDR is clean, and the vent pin hole isn't blocked up.
How's your oil consumption after 1000 miles?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look in intake look for excessive oil, some is normal if there is a lot try cleaning it replacing the cdr
Second compression test
If that comes out less than ideal
leak down test

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
Thank you. I will go ahead and replace the cdr valve. I will run the oil flush like you suggested unless anyone objects to the sea foam method. I have never put anything in engine oil before so it makes me a little bit nervous. Tempting to go ahead and do Ip and injectors for $900 if I get to the point of pulling injectors, checking compression and timing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will go ahead and replace the cdr valve. I will run the oil flush like you suggested unless anyone objects to the sea foam method. I have never put anything in engine oil before so it makes me a little bit nervous. Tempting to go ahead and do Ip and injectors for $900 if I get to the point of pulling injectors, checking compression and timing.
What I got out from all the above posts, just drive it. If it doesn't use a bunch of oil on the dipstick, then it most likely is a crappy injector. If it uses oil and the dipstick level is dropping fast, then go that direction.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be careful about a $900 pump and injector set. That price doesn't sound correct, unless you stumbled onto something.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You should be able to clean the CDR, no need to replace it. Back when I had one I got in the habit of cleaning it every third oil change.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Soapy water. Using any type of aerosol can damage the diaphragm inside. Doesn't take much, the important part is making sure the vent pin hole on the back side is free and clear. You can use regulated shop air on that pin hole to verify operation and a torn diaphragm. No more than 5psi air pressure, you just want to overcome the internal spring.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
I'd be careful about a $900 pump and injector set. That price doesn't sound correct, unless you stumbled onto something.
I’ll make sure to be careful. Thank you. I was browsing some listings but I didn’t get around to checking out many details on anything yet.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
It runs pretty great but I think it’s losing oil out the tailpipe. I checked it and it seems to be down a little bit from topping it off in a rather small amount of time. It’s got great power for an idi non turbo. Cool upgrade, it has a c6 with the od unit added.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
What I got out from all the above posts, just drive it. If it doesn't use a bunch of oil on the dipstick, then it most likely is a crappy injector. If it uses oil and the dipstick level is dropping fast, then go that direction.
It’s definitely lost some oil quickly. So, starting with, clean cdr, fresh filter and oil, smash some hills and hope for some improvement ..

How do you do the timing on one of these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online