Blue smoker. Seems like it’s tough to narrow down.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soapy water. Using any type of aerosol can damage the diaphragm inside. Doesn't take much, the important part is making sure the vent pin hole on the back side is free and clear. You can use regulated shop air on that pin hole to verify operation and a torn diaphragm. No more than 5psi air pressure, you just want to overcome the internal spring.
Great, thank you!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 10K threads on how to time these engines, Here are 3.

This is Hacked89 from here on the forum.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If you come across the Ferret Timing meter set up. it was the rage a few years ago, NL made.
They come up from time to time. Simple to use.

Goat

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
This is most likely a timing/ injector type issue. What is the smoke like when started cold?

when these engines are burning enough oil for it to show up as smoke, it is hard to keep up adding oil......
It puffs a bit on start up. Blows big clouds out if you step on it after it’s been sitting for a little bit or running idle for a while. If you get out and step on it and blow it out really good the smoke seems to clear up quickly.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
Blue smoke is burning oil. Usually from oil getting past the cylinder rings from lack of engine use.
After getting the oil pressure thing figured out, hook up a trailer if possible and find the longest steepest hill you can and drive it hard. Don't be afraid of RPM's, these engines live 2k to redline generally speaking. Make sure your coolant is topped off. If it really is low miles like that, it's done a lot of sitting around.
Whenever you plan an oil change, add Seafoam to the oil 300-500 miles before the change. Make sure you change the filter with the new oil.
Another aspect to smoke is injection timing, which you can't really do without the equipment. So I guess we'll save that for later after you try the above... unless you know someone with a pulse timing meter around you.
Changed the oil and it helped the engine light issue at start up. Still smoking though so was going to tweak the timing to see if I can get any improvement. Any suggestions for testing without equipment? If I mark the timing location can I set it back to default easily? I know how to shut engine off -move pump and tighten up each time you adjust/test.

Black dawg

Reaction score
It puffs a bit on start up. Blows big clouds out if you step on it after it’s been sitting for a little bit or running idle for a while. If you get out and step on it and blow it out really good the smoke seems to clear up quickly.
does this truck have a turbo?

Black dawg

Reaction score
By your description, it does sound like it could be oil.....

Have you driven it enough to know if it is using oil?
With that long wheel base was this truck a wrecker or some kind of utility truck?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I just now noticed it's got a super extendo bed on it with 3 tank doors... Kinda neat. Wonder what the purpose was.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score

With that long wheel base was this truck a wrecker or some kind of utility truck?
We have two. Yes my son’s is the custom super duty. It has the set up for 5th wheel, hydraulic hook ups and air for hauling big trailers. Someone welded two beds and did the conversion. No sure what it would’ve looked like originally. The one that I’m having trouble with the blue smoke is the red truck. His is a 90 and mines an 88.

Attachments

• DEBBD140-4621-4009-92E0-22B0D53888FD.jpeg
    DEBBD140-4621-4009-92E0-22B0D53888FD.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 14
  • C68E683B-5A67-4A24-A422-6CE55E02BF19.jpeg
    C68E683B-5A67-4A24-A422-6CE55E02BF19.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 14

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score

Based on the smoke clearing after some good throttling do you have any thoughts on the most and least likely causes? Does that information help us narrow it down a little bit?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have seen oil going down exhaust guides do what you are describing. Is it using oil?

Do you have a video of it running for us to get a rough idea of what the timing is? At a dead cold start, if you rev it to 2k does it run smooth?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86