clutch slowly seems to fail

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No. Unfortunately, they use a cheesy nylon (plastic?) bushing here. It appears that at least part of it is still there. It's also possible that you'll have to replace the arm that operates the push rod. It's held onto the end of the pivot rod by a nut.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The egg fault came with my truck and I used the ebay heim, its not hard to install.

You must be registered for see images attach

@IDIoit brought up doing it with a tread on heim joint as a possibly better option.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@IDIoit brought up doing it with a tread on heim joint as a possibly better option.

i very much dislike that heim with a set screw. not very much engagement, and seems disastrous IMO

Sergey

Reaction score
You need to do the Heim Joint repair.
Thank you, interesting video. The clutch rod shown is newer than mine system, I have a spring clip, so that even if pin is worn out the eye of push rod will not jump off, like it did for newer model with only plastic retainer.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i very much dislike that heim with a set screw. not very much engagement, and seems disastrous IMO

I agree with you on this. I saw a YT Video where the guy drilled into the rod so the Set Screw had something to lock into. A drop of loc-Tite would be good here also.
I like your mod where the Joint and shaft screw together much safer in the long run.

I hadn`t thought about this problem, but the Peddle Assy, Bushings being worn out can cause a shifting issue?

A lot more work removing the peddle assy to replace the plastic Bushings.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot more work removing the peddle assy to replace the plastic Bushings.

The hole assembly dose not need removed as long as you did not egg out the holes. Its a through rod with a nut on both ends that take a 18mm, yes the clutch pedal nut is a little difficult to remove but is posiable. With the clutch pedal remove the rod slides out the passenger side.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The egg fault came with my truck and I used the ebay heim, its not hard to install.

2021-04-04%2016.03.56.jpg

Dont use these cheap ebay one's, they dont have ptfe coating and will where out in over 5k miles.

Well that is not how they fail, its that there cheap shyt and wear out the heim joint even tho I sprayed it with white lithium when got squeaky. What thread size hemi did you use, going your route now with a ptfe one.

Sergey

Reaction score
Also, you look at the outside of the firewall to check for flexing. That's why you need a helper to push on the clutch pedal while you look at the firewall around where the master cylinder mounts.
Installed camera on tripod on sunny day and pointed to clutch master cylinder. Tried to attach a few seconds video of pressing and releasing clutch pedal but it cannot accept video file format, tried zip but it says file is too large.
When I watch video it is hard to tell since firewall is covered with thick insulation in that area.

Sergey

Reaction score
Ford did have plates available back in the day as they knew of the problem.
I have one installed on the 86.

Goat
I plan to order this useful part. Since rainy season started here, the there is no rush in ordering nor installation.
Looked at bronocograveyard site and they don't seem to supply instructions for installation for this part. In Chilton's book I have there seem to be not enough instructions - looked for steering column removal section and pedal assembly removal section.
Since you have installed this plate before, do you mind sharing installation steps?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They do come with instructions. If you look at the plastic bag at the bottom of this picture, you can see them folded up inside the bag. I haven't opened it up to look at them, so I can't comment on how good they are.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online