ATS 093 Turbo & SD intercooler install + exhaust recommendation

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filtration = restriction

You want less restriction you sacrifice filtration. If you want both you get a big honkin filter that has enough surface area to flow what you want but it will take up half your engine bay....

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filtration = restriction

You want less restriction you sacrifice filtration. If you want both you get a big honkin filter that has enough surface area to flow what you want but it will take up half your engine bay....
I can see that. Do you have any suggestions for a middle of the road filter housing? I'm trying to incorporate a cowl intake and eliminate the ATS airbox at the same time. But I don't really think there's room for a six inch hole...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6637. It gets used a ton in the psd world and is readily available. Here’s my setup, fits great.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggested this in another thread, get a 6.0 PSD Factory Filter....

Look here:
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/part-for-air-filter.82249/#post-978986
That make a lot more sense than trying to reinvent the wheel!

Even that powercore filter system doesn't seem sized for initial restriction flow rates. Seems like 12"-16" of h20 is closer to the maximum cfm. I'm not saying it's insufficient at all, obviously it was engineered that way for a reason.

That seems like the most realistic bang for buck option so far. Hopefully someone has upgraded recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of things to remember with restriction - Without a turbo, you need absolutely the least restriction you can get; it's hard enough getting air into the engine as it is.
With a turbo, you need more air in CFM, but the turbo also produces suction too. Depending on the turbo, you can have a decent vacuum on the intake and still be pushing plenty of air into the engine, especially if you are going with a stock IP. - That's probably why the turbo, under decent conditions, can supply enough air for 250RWHP(through the factory turbo paper filter), when even a maxed-out stock IP can only supply enough fuel for 210-220.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, I hadn't considered the compressor assisting the flow of air from it's source. Makes a lot of sense though!

I will be using the stock IP I got from Justin. At the time, I also put in NA injectors, but was told it wasn't enough of a difference to bother replacing them a second time with the turbo install.

Snicklas has given me dimensions for the 6.0 air assembly mentioned earlier, and I'm figuring out how I want to rearrange the batteries and various fluid tanks before I pick mine up.

I've mentioned this to a few members here, but my uninstalled CHRA was stolen, and I will have to buy an entirely new assembly. In the mean time, I'm getting the parts i still have ready for paint or powder coating (based on price at this point.)

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d say it helps, you can definitely here the turbo better, and it filters much finer than the stock setup, so much better for turbo longevity. I’d like to improve the kit with some sheet metal work to make it a true cold air intake, but haven’t found the time.

Here’s the stock turbo filter, 6637, and na filter lined up for size comparison.