Part # for air filter

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's part number for large air filter from parts store with 3 inch opening I can clamp on to my intake pipe, it's not stock just 3 inch piping

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go to O'Reilly, or any other major chain that carries a company called Spectre, any of the cone filters work, because they come with a reducer in the box

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not put a spectre filter on your truck unless you don’t mind gobs of dirt entering into your engine, and ruining your turbo wheel. We had this discussion a few years back.
Ask Idioit, as he’s the first one to encounter this problem. Couldn’t have come at a better time because I was about to buy one of those cheapie filters when I installed an 088 turbo on my rig.
AEM’s the best. K&N is ok if you put the right amount of pre-oil on them, but still prefer AEM dryflow filters.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'd never heard this before, must've missed that thread. I've always run a factory air box on my turbo truck because of my snorkel set up and it has a K&N. I've seen tests done on those and they do allow some dirt to pass through,but not enough that I was concerned. I'm of the mindset that you're never going to filter 100% of the dirt out if you allow air through, and to me a slight discoloration of a piece of paper with dirt on it that is so fine I can't see it does not qualify as a bad air filter. It is obvious anyway that a filter that flows more air is going to flow more everything over the same amount of area.

BUT, visibly wearing on turbine blades is not acceptable in my book and if you guys are sure it's because of the filter I'll take your word for it and take the Specter off of my Powerstroke. Im a huge proponent of learning from other's mistakes rather than making my own. I do Wonder however though if you guys living out west has a lot to do with it. The dry conditions always have more dust in the air as to where my home here in Tennessee the humidity is so high that airborne dust is kept to a minimum.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been a few cases of spectre filters eating turbos. Also dirt in the intakes. Stay away.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kinda like sanding with 1000 grit sand paper, it takes a while for anything to happen but eventually it's gonna start removing material. Even new one I had didn't even feel like the surrounding outer metal ring was sealed to the rubber boot clamp area it was able to wiggle around and spin inside the filter

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly,

If you are looking for a "cheap" high flow filter setup, go find a factory air filter system, from the core support to the turbo, from a 6.0 PSD. The factory filter uses a Donaldson P603577 PowerCore Filter. I've read this filter setup is good to 500+ HP in a 6.0PSD, which push ~30PSI stock, even more when turned up. The filter itself will trap nearly 3 POUNDS of dirt before Donaldson says it's dirty enough it needs replaced.

Now, this thing is big, and the mount is incorporated into the drivers side battery tray, and sits between the radiator and the drivers battery.

Here it is in place:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here to get an idea of the assembly size:

Here is the replacement fiter:

How the filter medium actually works:

You must be registered for see images

The replacements filter is not cheap, but they last a really long time.......

If you need any more specific information, or measurements, or pictures of the setup I can take pictures of, or measure mine........

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did like the factory filter on my 6.0 it really had the medium duty-esk feel about it. That's why I never went a different direction with that one, but any filter is better than the screen that was on my 7.3ps when I bought it, even a Spectre. I may have to look for a different solution now though......

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to see someone put one of these on a idi. That is such a neat idea @snicklas

I might look into it one of these days. I have bigger fish to fry with my IDI, but having a 6.0 with this setup already, I can do some measuring and comparing between the two.