Hey, it's another air intrusion thread! Just for fun though.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I really don't have a air intrusion problem, but in reality we all do because we use mechanically injected diesel trucks for our daily drivers.

I fix riding lawn mowers, mostly craftsman/Husqvarna/poulan mowers because in just a fan of those. Most of them use a gravity feed for fuel which causes it's own problem because eventually the needle starts leaking and all the gas goes into the crankcase. I add a fuel shut off to the mowers I sell and strongly admonish the perchacer to use it.

Well I got to thinking (and the reason I was thinking about it is because I'm working on building a diesel generator and I was considering this for it) what if we built racks for our trucks and mounted our fuel cells above the cab? Now don't knock it, I know I'm upsetting the "purist", but it kinda goes back to a post that @franklin2 put on a thread about how we butcher up the fuel systems on these trucks with electric pumps and multiple filters and water separators and such, and that's just the guys that run diesel fuel not to mention us alternative fuel weirdos.

So anyway, I think I've solved the problem of air intrusion! Put your fuel cell on top of your truck and voila! no more air can be sucked in because it's being pushed/pulled down by gravity. Old farm tractors use this system, I think model A's are gravity feed, it's proven technology.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.

Weld up an exo-cage. Mount a 100 or so gallon overhead farm tank on top, then run a hose down the a pillar into the engine bay.

Nevermind the 15 foot step ladder needed to climb to the top and fill it. Also, nobody ever rolls these things, so no danger there LOL

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.

Weld up an exo-cage. Mount a 100 or so gallon overhead farm tank on top, then run a hose down the a pillar into the engine bay.

Nevermind the 15 foot step ladder needed to climb to the top and fill it. Also, nobody ever rolls these things, so no danger there LOL
THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a well known temp fix for air intrusion to back your truck in so the rearend is higher than the front if you happen to have a spot like that, to help keep the intrusion at bay till you get it fixed.

No one has tried it yet that I know of, but a possible permanent fix for air intrusion is put a normally closed solenoid valve in the return line behind the engine. How can you lose the fuel in the system if it has no where to go? The solenoid would open when the truck ignition is turned on. It would be another failure point though.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Why not just put it all in the bed of the truck, and have a few degree decline hose to the engine? Heck, just drill through the back of the cab and firewall to run a new fuel line.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just put it all in the bed of the truck, and have a few degree decline hose to the engine? Heck, just drill through the back of the cab and firewall to run a new fuel line.
Gotta be up higher. Still need the bed to haul stuff.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ZIPTIESNBIASPLIES on YouTube had a fuel tank mounted on the roof of Slave Lake. Other than the vulgar language and twisted humor, that’s gotta be one of the better channels on YouTube

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZIPTIESNBIASPLIES on YouTube had a fuel tank mounted on the roof of Slave Lake. Other than the vulgar language and twisted humor, that’s gotta be one of the better channels on YouTube
Yeah, I don't watch them because of the language. It's awesome when people realize that you can be funny without bad language and enuendos. So I'll probably miss their roof mount fuel tank.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say hollow hood, A-pillars, and roof. Feed to mechanical lift pump come from right front corner of hood.

Fuel fill at top of B-pillar on drivers side!!
Too many leak opportunities. And how would you "Red Kote" it, unless @FrozenMerc would let us use his shop and vehicle dolly and the rest of his amazing equipment. But @FrozenMerc would figure out how we're butchering on our trucks (van in your situation) and run us off for not being "factory".

Aluminum semi truck tank on a ladder rack. BAM, no more air intrusion! Just slightly inconvenienced at the fuel station, but think of all the time you'll save by not sitting on side of the road starting a "911 diesel down" thread because you're sucking air. We'll be on our way to either putting "Faucet" and "Carter" out of business or at least making them tighten up on quality control so we can get back to fuel pumps that are worth buying. And THEN we can eliminate our stupid gravity feed tanks and "dirigibles" from our trucks. I'm talking REVOLUTION over here!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the return system “push” returned fuel up that high?

Instead of, “Dual antennas whippin’ in the wind” it’ll be dual return line swaying in the wind.... :rotflmao
You could just "T" the return back into the feed line. With a van, you could hide the tank in the topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online